Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Marks: Charlton v Oxford

Comments

• Rudd: 5
    Solly: 4
    Page: 4
    Bauer: 5
    Teixeira:5
    Byrne: 4
    Crofts: 3
    Forster-Caskey: 2
    Holmes: 6
    Mavididi: 6
    Magennis: 4
    Aribo: 6
    Watt: 4
    Page: 5
    Teixeira: 4.5
    Byrne: 5
    Crofts: 5
    Forster-Caskey: 4
    Holmes: 5.5
    Mavididi: 7.5
    Aribo: 6.5
    Watt: 5
  • Rudd: 5 Poor distribution though was put under pressure by poor back passes.
    Solly: 3, would have been 4 except for the red card, maybe his knee trouble back again.
    Page: 5 looked poor on the ball
    Bauer:4 seemed lost
    Teixeira: 4
    Crofts: 4 was not in the game
    Forster-Caskey: 3 passing was awful
    Holmes:4 looks unfit
    Mavididi:6 at least he tried
    Magennis: 5 one his own to much
    Aribo: 6 was lively
    Watt: 4 did very little.
    The first half was a shocking performance from the team, loooked like they had only just met.
  • I am not a big Watt fan but think some of the marks are slightly low though. He looked like he wanted to be playing to me, albeit the irony of having a go at Aribo for not passing deserves to have his marks reduced.
  • I am not a big Watt fan but think some of the marks are slightly low though. He looked like he wanted to be playing to me, albeit the irony of having a go at Aribo for not passing deserves to have his marks reduced.

May have wanted to play, but didn't. Bad first touch, lost control. Looked lost on where he should be. Awful.
  • Rudd: 6
    Crofts: 4
    Holmes: 5
    Mavididi: 7
    Magennis: 3
    Aribo: 4
  • Rudd: 5 Not a lot to do really. Goal wasn't his fault but his distribution wasn't the best.
    Solly: 4 Bad day at the office. Clearly fouled seconds before his lunge which didn't look a straight red to me.
    Page: 5 Meh. Young and needs games and experience.
    Teixeira: 4.5 thought he was pretty shite
    Byrne: 5 not as good as he looks like he should be. I think he needs to play in a pacy attacking side to be at his best. In theory that's what we are meant to be.
    Crofts: 4 usually does the ugly bits well. last night it was just all sorts of ugly
    Forster-Caskey: 5 we need a new Andy Reid type player. He should fit the mould but last night just was not good enough. He's the one player who should be applying a bit of composure and he didn't.
    Holmes: 6 Often takes a touch too many. Infuriating
    Mavididi: 7 MOM even though he was deathly quiet in the 2nd half. Exceptional potential. So many similarities to Thierry Henry and I adored him as a player.
    Magennis: 5 Not his physical self, excellently marshalled by their CBs to be fair.
    Aribo: 6.5 Decent when he came on - looked like he had a point to prove.
    Watt: 1 Fuck off. I'm one of his "fans" but he couldn't be arsed last night. He was blowing out of his arse within 5 mins of coming on. Embarassment of a player last night. What a waste of talent. Time's up - go away.

Too many of our players don't look fit. JFC looks too rusty and needs match sharpness. Solly just can't bomb up and down the wing any more. Watt is a shambles.

Robinson - Deserves a summer to put his squad together but you have to say - how many teams in our division wouldn't be delighted to have our financial clout with wages. That squad should be pushing for promotion. That team was our strongest and yet we were dire. The formation just isn't working. Stick to 4-4-2 for now and then build and mould a team in the summer for your 4-2-3-1 where people can work on it and get used to it. Right now we need some points on the board otherwise the crowd is going to start to get very messy

Solly: 3
    Page: 3
    Bauer: 4
    Teixeira:4
    Byrne:4
    Holmes: 5
    Magennis: 5
    Aribo: 5
  • Swisdom said:

That team was our strongest and yet we were dire. The formation just isn't working. Stick to 4-4-2 for now and then build and mould a team in the summer for your 4-2-3-1 where people can work on it and get used to it. Right now we need some points on the board otherwise the crowd is going to start to get very messy

No it wasn't.
    Page: 4
    Bauer: 3
    Teixeira: 5
    Byrne: 3
    Holmes: 4
    Mavididi: 6
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Swisdom said:

That team was our strongest and yet we were dire. The formation just isn't working. Stick to 4-4-2 for now and then build and mould a team in the summer for your 4-2-3-1 where people can work on it and get used to it. Right now we need some points on the board otherwise the crowd is going to start to get very messy

No it wasn't.
    Care to state who would have improved it on the night?

It's irrelevant really - that starting 11 should scare the shit out of Oxford United. Their best player on the night was their centre back and I've never heard of him. Their next best player was Conor McAleny who scored a peach and was soundly laughed at when he played for us.
    Man for man there are hardly any teams who should be able to outwit us yet it seems pretty much EVERY team manages to do it. I'm starting to wonder if KR might not have bitten off more than he can chew
    Solly: 5
    Mavididi: 9 Wow! a breath of fresh air.
  • edited February 2017
    Breaking a promise to myself that I made a few months ago by scoring a football game on CL

Rudd: 5.5 Messed up for the goal. Got his angles wrong, and looked like he thought he it was going wide. Too many criticisms of his distribution. Got a number of terrible back passes to deal with. Tried on numerous occasions to distribute quickly, only to realise none of his team mates were looking.

Solly: 5 Best of the defence, but minus one for a stupid red card. Not the way a captain should react to a piece of poor refereeing, as he was fouled just prior to the tackle that got him an early bath.

Page: 5.5 OK, more pace than Fox, but can't head, tackle or defend. May improve, but needs to improve a LOT. Chicksen looks a better option to me.

Bauer: 5 Won a few headers but looked completely aimless. Didn't bring anything to the team.

Teixeira: 1 Wants more game time, eh? Here's a thought, Jorge. Learn to pass to someone wearing the same colour shirt as you? Was Oxford's best player in the first half. Every touch went to an Oxford player, or out for a throw in. And not a row Z clearance either. Won a few headers, all of which went to an Oxford player.

Byrne: 4.5 Looked lively for all of 15 minutes. One thunderous shot that hit the bar, and anonymous for the rest of the game.

Crofts: 5 I have been an advocate of Crofts this season because I think he does the dirty work without fuss or ego. Was behind the game most of the night. His normal tidy passing went AWOL, but at least tried, and succeeded occasionally, in winning the ball back.

Forster-Caskey: 3 First time I've seen him play. I was not impressed. Passing was woeful, can't tackle, and looked disinterested. A few decent corners.

Holmes: 6 I love Ricky, and, although not his best game, never hid. Tried to make things happen, but didn't come off.

Mavididi: 8 Was tempted to give him a 10, as he was far and away our best player. The only player who tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck. When he hit the post, it was going to be the goal of the season. It's a shame some of the other players couldn't wear the shirt with the same pride. And he's not even a Charlton player...

Magennis: 5 Clearly rushed back from injury too soon. He should have had a few games for the U23s (which is allowed under the rules), and some substitute appearances, to get his timing and touch back before starting for the first 11. No doubting his willingness, and he is up for the fight, but needs game time, and brought back too quickly.

Aribo: 7 Hooray! Someone who can tackle! On this showing, should never have been dropped from the starting 11.

Watt: 2 Let's be honest, TW is stealing a living as a "professional" sportsman. Is exhausted after lacing up his boots. There is no excuse for his woeful lack of fitness. Brings nothing to the team, and can't control, dribble, or shoot a football. Has gone so far backwards since the halcyon days of his signing, it is hard to believe that it's the same person. I nearly said "player", but I don't believe the word "player" is appropriate...
  • Rudd: 6 Don't think he could have done much about the goal

Solly: 6.5 loses .5 for the red one of the few to look like he wanted it

Page: 6 Sacrilege maybe but I think Fox is better!

Bauer: 5.5 Distinctly wobbly at times

Teixeira: 6 As Bauer but marginally better

Byrne: 6.5 Decent first half faded and was probably rightly substituted

Crofts: 6 Tried but Oxford's young hardworking players were too much for him

Forster-Caskey: 5.5 Not impressed jury out

Holmes: 6.5 Tried but not vintage Ricky

Mavididi: 7 Looks a prospect but faded in the second half

Magennis: 6 Doesn't look fit. Nowhere near the battling Big Josh we know and love.

Aribo: 6.5 Made a bit of difference

Watt: 6 Doesn't look fit. Magennis had a bad injury what's his excuse?
  • Thought Page headed, tackled and defended pretty well tbh, it was his passing that was a bit iffy. One header in the first half was goal-saving. Happy to see him continue in the role
  • Leuth said:

Thought Page headed, tackled and defended pretty well tbh, it was his passing that was a bit iffy. One header in the first half was goal-saving. Happy to see him continue in the role

And there it is!

The reason I made that promise to myself...

People who are so convinced they know more than me about football, they feel compelled to question my scores...
  • Not questioning your scores (vindictive swipes at Tex/Watt aside), just something you said about a player that I thought was unfair. This is a football messageboard ffs, disagreement is the force that drives us on
    Solly: 5.5
    Page: 6
    Bauer: 5.5
    Byrne: 6
    Crofts: 6
    Forster-Caskey: 6
    Mavididi: 7.5
    Magennis: 6
    Aribo: 7
    Byrne: 0
    Crofts: 2
    Forster-Caskey: 0
    Holmes: 2
  • Rudd 5
    solly 4
    tex 3
    bauer 4
    page 3
    crofts 4
    forster caskey 4
    byrne 4
    holmes 3
    mavididi 7
    magennis 4
  • Sponsored links:

• Watt has peaked even earlier this time than I thought he would. Send the fat twat home to his mum. He typifies everything that is wrong at the moment. Lazy, useless and overrated by a lot of Charlton fans. Nicking a living and unbelievably will continue to do so as the odd cameo gets him noticed.
  • edited February 2017
    Rudd: 3 best keeper in the league he can go not much in it between him and DP
    Solly: 3 whats happened to managing his injury shadow of former player but can now play 2 games a week. Must see fox go look in the mirror and say if it wasn't for these knees i could be gone
    Page: 5 early doors looks athletic time will tell
    Bauer: 2 weak, disinterested awful passing
    Teixeira:2 see Bauer pair had a mare
    Byrne: 6 Done enough one of the brighter notes
    Crofts: 3 looked like the number of games in succession had caught up with him
    Forster-Caskey: 4 creative spark well fairly anonymous but find it hard to be creative with so few options ahead
    Holmes: 5 took a few whacks started well faded
    Mavididi: 7 played well whys he wasting his time here
    Magennis: 4 woeful so isolated not particularly his fault but as our third choice striker he does alright
    Aribo: 6 started well red card ruined his impact
    Watt: 3 what has happened to this kid looks lost and a shadow of a player made one run and cut back other than that he should of stayed indoors and carried on playing his console

Crowd 2 players looked like the crowd felt as if they didn't want to be there.

Me 1 what the duck was I thinking going
  • Rudd: 4
    Solly: 1 brainless
    Page: 2
    Teixeira: 1
    Byrne: 2
    Watt: 2
  • Rudd: 4
    Crofts: 3
    Magennis: 5.5
    Watt: 6

Botaka n/a
    Bauer: 4
    Holmes: 4
    Aribo: 7
  • LenGlover said:

Rudd: 6 Don't think he could have done much about the goal

Magennis: 6 Doesn't look fit. Nowhere near the battling Big Josh we know and love.

I agree your comments overall, but not sure your marks match them as all above average? Watt just .5 below Aribo and above average performance?
  • Redrobo said:

LenGlover said:

Rudd: 6 Don't think he could have done much about the goal

I agree your comments overall, but not sure your marks match them as all above average? Watt just .5 below Aribo and above average performance?
    I start with 6 as par. If mistakes and good things even out or there is nothing much to report then they get a 6 otherwise they are marked up or down.

Aribo spiced it up a bit so picked up half a mark. I don't think Watt did much at all good or bad so he stayed on 6.

A game like last night is difficult to mark objectively as nobody stood out as exceptionally good and,although mistakes were made, nobody was exceptionally bad either. It was just a mediocre mess.

In my view some people mark too low out of frustration, which I can understand, but I try to be objective although in truth the bottom line is that marks are all about subjective opinion.
    Solly: 4.5
    Page: 5.5
    Bauer: 5.5
    Crofts: 6.5
    Forster-Caskey: 5.5