Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rochdale v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Arsenal boy looked a bit special, especially the run that led to the second goal. Teixeira should have started. Very shaky at the back early on

Robinson went for the win with his subs, but Magennis on the wing to accommodate Novak? Really?

Magennis used to be a winger/wide mam
    And Keeper!
  • Options
    Not that I said sack him, but if he's a chancer he can go for all I care, makes no difference in this merry go round.

Under Roland we'd need an exceptional coach to achieve anything.

He's likeable in some ways but his tactics and selections suggest he thinks a good game but in reality we don't have the playing staff for his system, that he doesn't realise that, well not good is it.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I think changing systems can take time. The issue is for me quite simple - we have better balance than we did (at this level only) but we don't have the balance of goals right at all.This is a simple fact that all coaches at all levels face - be that youth level (like me), Sunday league, Premiership what have you. You can have perfectly good players for the level you are playing at, but you need a few in your team that know how to put the ball in the back of the net at that given level. Go through the team that has been started and look at their career goal tallies. It isn't to say they are not good players at the level, but if you play a misser, you need to balance it with a scorer. Even Magennis, who I really like is technically a misser!

There are a few in the team I coach who are great lads and decent players, but I wouldn't be totally confident of them not missing an open goal from 5 yards out! The best players think instinctively - others process the information more slowly and more can go wrong or they just don't have time to get the choice right! Confidence plays a part here as well as an instinctive player can sometimes overthink - but a non instinctive player - when it comes to scoring - can never find regular goals.

So when that is the case you have to try to do something about it. The solution is not to play a player like Konsa (great prospect that he is) over a player like Tex who knows where the goal is when you have a team of proven missers. When the team is shy of players who know where the goal is, you don't have that luxury.

Got to go now - match against the league leaders......now how are we going to score against them!!!!
  • Options

Both Oldham and Rochdale matches has been watched by fewer than 3000 spectators.

That shows the vast gulf in potential resources in this division...

Give RD time he will soon match those crowds.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

What a long day that was yesterday.left the Valley at 8am and didnt get home till 12.15am this morning.I dont usually post on here but as i went yesterday i thought id give it a crack.we were awful yesterday.Rochdale werent much better. Now to the players.Solly Holmes and surprisingly Botaka were our best players.Solly was his usual self and good to see holmes back to full fitness.botaka took his goal well but should of scored the first effort when he hit the post but did well to score the rebound.And what was all that running over to o'laughin o'lacliln o'cocklin or whatever the useless gits name is when he scored, all about? Im sorry but Crofts can not play in a 2 in central midfield.Forster-Caskey was covering fot him most of the game which meant he was less effective on the match.If your going to pick 2 in midfield Thomas oh i mean Roland oh sorry o'cracklin then pick Forster-Caskey and Aribo.Rest of the team looked average.Page needs more games and hopefully the back 4 that finished the game will start Tuesday.i seriously think Crofts needs a rest.Magannis didnt seem fit and although he showed some nice touches neithet does watt.i think he will better coming on as an impact player maybe last 25mins.A special praise for Stephy who took out at least 7 rochdale players with an amazing run and dribble but just couldnt do enough to finish was the highlight of the day for me.2 must win games Tuesday and Saturday.Oh and Please just go Roland and Katried please go please.

As much as I like and admire the honesty of the post, might I suggest you take a breath between sentences. The space bar doesn't appear to be part of your vocabulary and it makes it quite difficult for those of us that are hard of hearing to differentiate one from another.
  • Options

Both Oldham and Rochdale matches has been watched by fewer than 3000 spectators.

That shows the vast gulf in potential resources in this division...

Sheff Utd regularly get 20k+ crowds and have been in this division for years, so given the clowns we have running the show, there's no reason why we won't be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Morning after the night before...

Great away day yesterday. Rochdale´s ground was ace, good view, friendly staff.
    As you know the match was a bit crazy. We let them play the ball around outside our penalty are a little too much, and I think that showed our desperate need for a midfield dynamo type who can stop teams playing. We always looked dangerous on the break, especially Mavididi and Botaka. Watt has the control but not the pace of those two.
    I think Mavididi should be played as a proper striker rather than a winger or number 10, just because we need goals, and it would be worth trying. What you do with Josh I´m not sure. I´m wondering if we´re a bit rose tinted spectacles with him because he works hard, is clearly a good sort, and because he scored that hattrick. He seems to take so many games to get firing on all cylinders. And frankly, he doesn´t score enough goals. He didn´t look like scoring in a game where we scored three.
    So next match, Mavididi up top, Tex for Konsa, but maybe Konsa for Crofts (or is that dangerous?). If KR would play 442, maybe Josh with Mavididi, but certainly not Novak.
  • Options

I think changing systems can take time. The issue is for me quite simple - we have better balance than we did (at this level only) but we don't have the balance of goals right at all.This is a simple fact that all coaches at all levels face - be that youth level (like me), Sunday league, Premiership what have you. You can have perfectly good players for the level you are playing at, but you need a few in your team that know how to put the ball in the back of the net at that given level. Go through the team that has been started and look at their career goal tallies. It isn't to say they are not good players at the level, but if you play a misser, you need to balance it with a scorer. Even Magennis, who I really like is technically a misser!

There are a few in the team I coach who are great lads and decent players, but I wouldn't be totally confident of them not missing an open goal from 5 yards out! The best players think instinctively - others process the information more slowly and more can go wrong or they just don't have time to get the choice right! Confidence plays a part here as well as an instinctive player can sometimes overthink - but a non instinctive player - when it comes to scoring - can never find regular goals.

So when that is the case you have to try to do something about it. The solution is not to play a player like Konsa (great prospect that he is) over a player like Tex who knows where the goal is when you have a team of proven missers. When the team is shy of players who know where the goal is, you don't have that luxury.

Got to go now - match against the league leaders......now how are we going to score against them!!!!

Very well put. I suspect the reason for Konsa instead of Tex was because Konsa is a bit quicker than both Patrick and Tex, and that pairing is susceptible to the ball over the top, but then why not play Konsa and Tex, given that Tex is the better footballer than Patrick?
  • Options

What a long day that was yesterday.left the Valley at 8am and didnt get home till 12.15am this morning.I dont usually post on here but as i went yesterday i thought id give it a crack.we were awful yesterday.Rochdale werent much better. Now to the players.Solly Holmes and surprisingly Botaka were our best players.Solly was his usual self and good to see holmes back to full fitness.botaka took his goal well but should of scored the first effort when he hit the post but did well to score the rebound.And what was all that running over to o'laughin o'lacliln o'cocklin or whatever the useless gits name is when he scored, all about? Im sorry but Crofts can not play in a 2 in central midfield.Forster-Caskey was covering fot him most of the game which meant he was less effective on the match.If your going to pick 2 in midfield Thomas oh i mean Roland oh sorry o'cracklin then pick Forster-Caskey and Aribo.Rest of the team looked average.Page needs more games and hopefully the back 4 that finished the game will start Tuesday.i seriously think Crofts needs a rest.Magannis didnt seem fit and although he showed some nice touches neithet does watt.i think he will better coming on as an impact player maybe last 25mins.A special praise for Stephy who took out at least 7 rochdale players with an amazing run and dribble but just couldnt do enough to finish was the highlight of the day for me.2 must win games Tuesday and Saturday.Oh and Please just go Roland and Katried please go please.

We can tell you don't usually post on there, or you'd know it's "should have", not "should of"!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    razil said:

Not that I said sack him, but if he's a chancer he can go for all I care, makes no difference in this merry go round.

He's likeable in some ways but his tactics and selections suggest he thinks a good game but in reality we don't have the playing staff for his system, that he doesn't realise that, well not good is it.

You know we said the same thing about Powell in his first six months
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

razil said:

Very true, but there was a recruitment plan and the board backed him with funds and people capable of completing deals. In 3 years these owners have not shown any of these signs
  • Options
    If O'laughable is in charge over the summer transfer window I will be betting on us to take our first ever dip into the 4th tier.

He will be dictated to by Thomas and no way will he be able to attract any level of semi decent players to the club.
  • Options

We can tell you don't usually post on there, or you'd know it's "should have", not "should of"!!!
    What´s wrong with ´should´ve´, which is where ´should of´ sprang from I suspect?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

razil said:

That's a bit of a broad brush statement Kap, or is that the Royal we? You may have doubted him but not all of us did :wink: .
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

As you know the match was a bit crazy. We let them play the ball around outside our penalty are a little too much, and I think that showed our desperate need for a midfield dynamo type who can stop teams playing. We always looked dangerous on the break, especially Mavididi and Botaka. Watt has the control but not the pace of those two.
    I think Mavididi should be played as a proper striker rather than a winger or number 10, just because we need goals, and it would be worth trying. What you do with Josh I´m not sure. I´m wondering if we´re a bit rose tinted spectacles with him because he works hard, is clearly a good sort, and because he scored that hattrick. He seems to take so many games to get firing on all cylinders. And frankly, he doesn´t score enough goals. He didn´t look like scoring in a game where we scored three.
    So next match, Mavididi up top, Tex for Konsa, but maybe Konsa for Crofts (or is that dangerous?). If KR would play 442, maybe Josh with Mavididi, but certainly not Novak.

Personally, I'd suggest that, rather than dump Magennis, we try the radical approach of two up front (playing Mavididi off Magennis).

It's been a mystery to me why we don't give some thought to 352. You could then play Tex, Konsa and Bauer across the back until Pearce is fit again (although I'd prefer to see Konsa as a midfielder), while three in the middle would allow us to make the most of Crofts/Jackson (assuming that we want some older heads in the team). Part of my thinking is that I half believe that both Bauer and Tex would be more comfortable in that formation, as well as providing an option to add pace to the back line.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

JamesSeed said:

Personally, I'd suggest that, rather than dump Magennis, we try the radical approach of two up front (playing Mavididi off Magennis).

It's been a mystery to me why we don't give some thought to 352. You could then play Tex, Konsa and Bauer across the back until Pearce is fit again (although I'd prefer to see Konsa as a midfielder), while three in the middle would allow us to make the most of Crofts/Jackson (assuming that we want some older heads in the team). Part of my thinking is that I half believe that both Bauer and Tex would be more comfortable in that formation, as well as providing an option to add pace to the back line.
    Certainly worth a try to us mere mortals, with any of the CBs, especially Konsa, able to bring the ball out of defence and push into midfield however KR seems hell bent on imposing his 4-2-3-1 on the team and I fear he will stick with it. Having said that the formation looked like a 4-4-1-1 to me first half yesterday. :open_mouth:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

T

whether KR should or shouldn't go isn't worth debating. KM persuaded Roland to go British with Slade and then when that didn't work out and he wanted to jettison Congo Chris in she once again persuaded him to go British again with Robinson. It won't happen again. He's itching to get O'Loughlin in. It won't be long.

I'm long past worried, bring it on.
    enjoy the game ? ... Dover for the p/offs, N Ferriby back to the Northern Division ? ... you should go back Tuesday .. Nth Ferriby host the MIGHTY Lincoln (Giantkillers) City ((:>)
    Dover strolled the second half, I reckon North Ferriby will drop.

Whilst small, a very pleasant village. What is it with the 'Save North Ferriby' placards?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

What´s wrong with ´should´ve´, which is where ´should of´ sprang from I suspect?
    Nothing wrong with "should've", "would've" or "could've", and that's obviously where "...of" has come from, people writing what they're hearing instead of what they read.
  • Options
    Was at the game... As well as Solly played, thought he struggled with the armband yesterday. One thing that has suffocated the team all season, and it was evident in the first half, was the team's ability to panic and yesterday there was little to no leadership on the pitch to help calm a few heads. Second half we battled a lot better, so I'm giving KR the credit for that.

Is there a character in the squad other than JJ or Solly that would make a better captain? Controversial, but maybe they shouldn't automatically get it because they're Charlton T-A-T.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

God sake a poster says he doesn't post much on here but gives his match report and the two replies are picking up on typing and grammar. Naff.

Was about to say the same.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

Kap10 said:

razil said:

Very true, but there was a recruitment plan and the board backed him with funds and people capable of completing deals. In 3 years these owners have not shown any of these signs
    I suppose my point is that its not the man. As you stated the board backed Powell and were rewarded the following season, if they had not we would not have had the season we had, however good Powell was. Its the same for KR, knocking him this season is unfair, if the board back him and yes I know its a big if, then judge him by results next year, otherwise he is just another manager, undermined by the regime.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

God sake a poster says he doesn't post much on here but gives his match report and the two replies are picking up on typing and grammar. Naff.

He'd have got away with it if he'd reviewed a train timetable!