Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watt the heck? Cafe Etiquette

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38991163

Do you choose your cafe based on leccy points/wifi access?

Comments

• I wouldn't choose a cafe simply because of the ability to charge a phone. But I'd never return to a cafe that charged me for doing so.
  • Chizz said:

I wouldn't choose a cafe simply because of the ability to charge a phone. But I'd never return to a cafe that charged me for doing so.

Agree with you. Some businesses don't understand that creating customer loyalty is really essential. Why don't they just put 5c on their coffee prices. No one would know and hardly anyone care as long as the cafe is clean, the service good and the food and drink good.
  • When I was in New York a couple of years back I was astounded at people there , they will plug in any damn where they like . We went to a nightclub and I saw various people throughout the night plugging in chargers for phones in any spare socket they could find.

• iainment said:

Chizz said:

I wouldn't choose a cafe simply because of the ability to charge a phone. But I'd never return to a cafe that charged me for doing so.

Agree with you. Some businesses don't understand that creating customer loyalty is really essential. Why don't they just put 5c on their coffee prices. No one would know and hardly anyone care as long as the cafe is clean, the service good and the food and drink good.
    When I worked in Helsinki, it was the norm to put your phone onto readily-available chargers on the service counter/bar when you go to a cafe. No cost.

It meant your phone was charging while you're eating and you actually spent time conversing with the person you were there with.

That was back in 2000. We still haven't caught up here yet.
  • Went to the cafe in Avery Hill park, ordered 2 bacon sandwich's, went to pay then changed my mind and asked for them to be toasted. Guy then said that would be an extra 15p, I thought ok, then he said per slice!!! I paid because it was only 60p but never been back since.
  • Went to the cafe in Avery Hill park, ordered 2 bacon sandwich's, went to pay then changed my mind and asked for them to be toasted. Guy then said that would be an extra 15p, I thought ok, then he said per slice!!! I paid because it was only 60p but never been back since.

Probably the hot food VAT charge rather than him ripping you off maybe?
  • But the bacon would have been hot? Didn't feel ripped off but he could have just said that's an extra 60p please. Instead when it was broke down per slice made it seem like a big deal to him to put 4 slices in the toaster.
  • But the bacon would have been hot? Didn't feel ripped off but he could have just said that's an extra 60p please. Instead when it was broke down per slice made it seem like a big deal to him to put 4 slices in the toaster.

Yes but you might only have wanted two of the slices toasted in which case he would have been ripping you off charging 60p.