Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Clattenburg Quits

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38993655

Can't be for the money, surley?

;-)

Comments

• That number plate could be easily misconstrued!!
  • oh god what a tragedy
  • Wants a new tattoo.
  • Saudi Arabia???

Shocked he'd go to such a joke league for the money, when he's only 41. I'm also shocked that the Saudis would pay good money for a referee
  • I didnt think this was allowed? - I remember when Collina was the best Referee and we wanted him to take charge over here for a while.

One of things that stopped it from happening was the fact that being an English League, we could only have English Referees (same with Italy where they can only have Italian Referees)... If this isnt the case then I'm shocked that the Premier League havent gone through a list of the best Referees in the world and got them over here with the slogan

"The best League in the World needs to be officiated by the best Referees in the World..."
  • Got to pay off those gambling debts some how

• Theresa May had a hand in this. wants to keep the Saudis sweet so they can order some more of our Jets.
  • Got to pay off those gambling debts some how

Wanna bet?
  • Continuing in his attempt to be a refereeing celebrity, this big money move could well help, although he'll be out of the prime time spotlight...unless he takes up a punditing job.

I've never really gotten all the hype around him. I think he's a good referee, but nothing more. To his credit he has improved down the years.
  • The world has gone to hell in a handbasket if refs are being poached by one league from another.
    Although if Clive Thomas had been poached like this not many would have objected!
    Celebrity refs ffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've just been told he's being paraded by the Saudi FA like he's a £50m player.
  • I've just been told he's being paraded by the Saudi FA like he's a £50m player.

His ego will become even more massive than it is now!

I have visions of him telling the players out there "the fans have come to see me, not you"
  • I didnt think this was allowed? - I remember when Collina was the best Referee and we wanted him to take charge over here for a while.

One of things that stopped it from happening was the fact that being an English League, we could only have English Referees (same with Italy where they can only have Italian Referees)... If this isnt the case then I'm shocked that the Premier League havent gone through a list of the best Referees in the world and got them over here with the slogan

"The best League in the World needs to be officiated by the best Referees in the World..."

It probably depends on the rules in each league. An Irish referee Alan Kelly was widely considered the best ref in the country, and a couple of years ago he moved to MLS, think hes won referee of the year since his move.
  • He is a decent ref IMO and his reaction to that cheating scum Pepe in the champions league final was superb.
  • Can he take Stroud with him?
  • Well I'm devastated
  • edited February 2017
    Palace fans hated Clattenburg going by the songs they sung about him when we played them...

He then went and booked Zaha for diving!

Mind you generally he was one of the better ones - and there are a lot of poor/inexperienced ones around hence the very low standards of officiating this season at times.
  • Given some of the laws and punishments dished out over there, one can only imagine what the Saudis would do to Stroud.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

Given some of the laws and punishments dished out over there, one can only imagine what the Saudis would do to Stroud.

Move him to a smaller palace
  • Pity, he's been one of our very best referees for a long time .. good luck to him .. take the money and ref ((:>)
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Given some of the laws and punishments dished out over there, one can only imagine what the Saudis would do to Stroud.

Dont they chop the hand off if your caught thieving?

Stroud wouldnt be able to scratch his arse after one game if thats the case and he went out there!!
  • This is a ref banned for a year for gambling! How the hell they let him become the top FA and Fifa ref is beyond me

Do none of you remember the game against Arsenal when he should have sent off Van Persie for kicking Hasselbaink off the ball. Then ripping Lisbie boot almost in half. Having been only yellow carded for Hasselbaink assult. Then not booked for second goal celebration in the crowd. Also let Gilberto punch the ball clear in the penalty area in the last minute. One of the worst refs I have even seen. It's not just Palarse fan who hate him.
  • Experienced English worker gets job offer in Saudi which he accepts as they will quadruple his salary.

It was ever thus.
  • Addickted said:

Experienced English worker gets job offer in Saudi which he accepts as they will quadruple his salary.

It was ever thus.

Though I understand there's not a lot of call for experienced female driving instructors.
  • This is a ref banned for a year for gambling! How the hell they let him become the top FA and Fifa ref is beyond me

Do none of you remember the game against Arsenal when he should have sent off Van Persie for kicking Hasselbaink off the ball. Then ripping Lisbie boot almost in half. Having been only yellow carded for Hasselbaink assult. Then not booked for second goal celebration in the crowd. Also let Gilberto punch the ball clear in the penalty area in the last minute. One of the worst refs I have even seen. It's not just Palarse fan who hate him.

I remember it well. One of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen.
  • He's replacing Howard Webb, who resigned 11 days ago.
  • Going to an Ed Sheeran concert is a breach of protocol? Fair enough.