Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Russian Hooligans guarantee threat of violence to England fans

Anybody even remotely considering going out to the World Cup next year?

This makes for worrying reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/16/england-fans-2018-world-cup-russia-hooligans?CMP=twt_gu

Documentary tonight on BBC 2 at 9pm.

I'm still considering going, I was in Marseille and managed to largely avoid any violence so hopefully touch wood and all that I can do the same in Russia...

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Not sure whether I will go or not. Would be eligible for tickets because I am on 30+ caps for England tickets.

However, none of the cities appeals to me. Will make a decision after the draw.
  • Options
    You should be okay Nomad, just take Denis's advice from the Orel Butchers and surround yourself with the wife and six children....sorted :smile:
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/16/england-fans-2018-world-cup-russia-hooligans?CMP=twt_gu

I'm still considering going, I was in Marseille and managed to largely avoid any violence so hopefully touch wood and all that I can do the same in Russia...

Will be watching but not the main reason why I won't even think of going. The main reason is that Putin's Russia disgusts me, and he is not getting a penny from me.

Can see your point Prague and can't argue with it. I have taken a similar stance when it comes to attending Charlton games.

Unfortunately the next two world cups, Russia then Qatar are countries which have more then questionable values. I'll still be going though, I guess that means charlton means more to me then supporting basic human rights around the world....make of that what you will :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2017
  • Options
    Violent nationalists threaten nationalist violence shock.
  • Options
    Putin's middle name is Vladimirovich?

Is that like being called John Johnson Smith?
  • Options
    I'll go out there, but I support Scotland so will be a nuetral for all the matches, that should keep me safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Big difference avoiding a few thousand Russians in a city in France and being surrounded by millions of them in the middle of Russia for a week...
    You don't say!
  • Options
    After my Marseille experience when I naively thought I could avoid it all, I will not be going anywhere near Russia. Don't buy the stuff re wife and kids, either - they starting laying into a totally oblivious and innocent England fan right in front of me and an 18 year old girl. Plenty of other women around.
  • Options

se9addick said:

I'll go out there, but I support Scotland so will be a nuetral for all the matches, that should keep me safe.

Being a Scottish supporter I guess you have to do this at every major tournament :smile:
    That was the joke...

Seriously though, I am up for Russia, went to France and loved it - and provided normal precautions are taken I'm sure Russia won't be too mental especially if you avoid England games.
  • Options

Will be watching but not the main reason why I won't even think of going. The main reason is that Putin's Russia disgusts me, and he is not getting a penny from me.

I agree, except under the new Administration I don't know where my US tax dollars are going! ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Can I ask why this deserved a flag? I don't think he was referring to the English fans as "Nationalists," simply the Russian fans. I don't think that's too far of a stretch...
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Can I ask why this deserved a flag? I don't think he was referring to the English fans as "Nationalists," simply the Russian fans. I don't think that's too far of a stretch...
    Why did you bring England fans into it then?

Just asking
  • Options
    they were scum in marseille but did take a hiding, they were starting on whoever took there fancy, they didnt take it to the masses they went to the back street in a tiny sqaure and started throwing bottles at 15 quite relaxed england fans that obviously weren't/didn't want trouble, as some had small kids with them and had shirts on etc. don't get me wrong was some plonkers out there, the russians are easy to spot anyway they all look like theyve been raped by the lonsdale section at sports direct, i am planning on going out there, but will wait till draw as planning on going in and out, have no idea how easy/hard this is, but with russia being in a volatile country, qatar being a joke and the euros being some all over the shop thing, no decent tournament for the next 6 years is gonna be pretty pony, even 2026 algeria have bid which would be a nightmare.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017

they were scum in marseille but did take a hiding, they were starting on whoever took there fancy, they didnt take it to the masses they went to the back street in a tiny sqaure and started throwing bottles at 15 quite relaxed england fans that obviously weren't/didn't want trouble, as some had small kids with them and had shirts on etc. don't get me wrong was some plonkers out there, the russians are easy to spot anyway they all look like theyve been raped by the lonsdale section at sports direct, i am planning on going out there, but will wait till draw as planning on going in and out, have no idea how easy/hard this is, but with russia being in a volatile country, qatar being a joke and the euros being some all over the shop thing, no decent tournament for the next 6 years is gonna be pretty pony, even 2026 algeria have bid which would be a nightmare.

The deadline for nations to bid for 2024 Euros closes in under a month and the only nation to bid , so far,is Germany so that would be a cracking tournament.

Tell a lie, Turkey submitted their bid yesterday FFS.
  • Options

I actually think the euros dotted around could be quite decent and it's just a one off I believe. Be good experiencing different places although I guess there won't be that vibe and buzz that you get in a host country when they're only hosting a couple of games.

Agree about waiting to see where and who we are playing though. Don't care if we get Argentina and Germany just do not want Russia.

Algeria would be a joke. Wouldn't put anything past the mugs that run FIFA.
  • Options

The deadline for nations to bid for 2024 Euros closes in under a month and the only nation to bid , so far,is Germany so that would be a cracking tournament.

that would be some stretch of shitters

2018 - russia - hooligans
    2020 - all over europe
    2022 - no alcohol and in a country where human rights dont exist.
    2024 - turkey - get a bit stabby.
    2026 - algeria - similar to turkey/ had enough of the nationals in marseille and so i could only imagine the reception england would recieve out there.
  • Options

that would be some stretch of shitters

2018 - russia - hooligans
    2020 - all over europe
    2022 - no alcohol and in a country where human rights dont exist.
    2024 - turkey - get a bit stabby.
    2026 - algeria - similar to turkey/ had enough of the nationals in marseille and so i could only imagine the reception england would recieve out there.
    I hope Algeria is a stretch too far.
  • Options
    @NomadicAddick problem with the euros being everywhere is you do lose the masses travelling, although suppose it would be like any english club going abroad for a european game only downside is it could get v expensive for example a england game in dublin most people would head over for 2 days only a limited number of flights etc, as others have said wouldnt put nothing past fifa the most corrupt organisation on the planet only they would allow a country who have been shamed for doping on a huge scale and have military trained ultras attacking people, they are seriously lucky not to have killed someone in marseille as striking people over the back of the head with a metal pole is a kill not just a bit of a scrap.
  • Options
    Confirmed 2026 Bids:

asia or eufa not allowed to host so will be one of these;

CONCACAF:
    Canada
    United States
    Mexico

(all seperate but has been agreed that they could have it joint between all 3, possibly pre trump)

CONMEBOL:
    Colombia

CAF:
    Morocco
    Algeria
  • Options
    just thought it surprises me Australia have never had it