Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone worked/working in Luxembourg ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Enjoy the move Stu, let's hope Uncle Roland doesn't decide to take Strassen into his Empire
  • Options
    currently bottom with 2 points from 4 games with a GD of -13 ! ....maybe he has already !
  • Options
    they got whacked 6-0 at home by Progress Niederkorn lsst week - the team tnat put Rangers out of Europe.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Blimey, used to live in Brussels, hated how boring it was, couldnt wait to leave the place, glad Lux is so much better, good luck to you
  • Options

So, i've now been here just over a year - amazing how time flies as they say.
    Must admit, there's not much about the UK that i miss- other than Charlton and M&S Roast Potato seasoning . There used to be a M&S in Lux until about 3 years ago but it got closed down.

Until this week i was the only Anglophone in the building, then all of a sudden there is another Pom and a Saffer who has joined us - the Brit coming from Portsmouth. the Saffer is a typical Saffer - full of shit. My French no 2 in the office resigned this week to go to a French bank in Lux - so, it may mean my contract being extended for a bit longer too. However, its clear there are a lot of opportunities in Lux should i want them.

So, French lingo is coming along.....slowly, but i can understand most of what is sent to me via email, and i can Parlay a bit too as long as its simple and slow (a bit like me really ). My French classes finish in May , but intend to try to do an intensive of 2/3 nights a week to get up and over the big hurdle of having conversational French - then i would hope i would be 'away' and on towards becoming fluent.

As i said above, there's not much about UK i miss, Lux is a lovely place - good, friendly,helpful people and the (huge number of) immigrants dont cause a problem . I suppose having the 2nd highest GDP after Kuwait helps- therefore the immigres tend to be of a higher 'quality'. there's no serious crime, no anti-social behaviour, no gangs on motor bikes coming around stealing your watches and the young come out of school speaking fluent Luxembourghish,French and English as a minimum (and thats the state schools).

Made a lot of friends, French and Belgians mainly - they are so easy and helpful, and only this week i was in France with several colleagues of mine celebrating the birth of first-born for one of my colleagues. We have a night out every other week which normally revolves more around eating than drinking.

Not many Britiish here, surprisingly, but almost all i know all are saying they dont want to go back to Blighty and wish to remain in Lux post Brexit.

All in all, a great move and would highly recommend Lux to anyone who has the opportunity to move here. Dont believe what people say re its boring - only yesterday i walked past a club that openly stated its opening hours were 8pm - 8am weekdays and non-stop during weekends. You can do anything you want at any time of the day.

Would like to welcome @addickfanatic as the latest recruit to the Charlton Supporters Club Luxembourg branch.
    Welcome Phil, i'm sure we will be turning The White Rose red when we are ever on tv this season (if ever)

Good luck to you. It takes a lot of guts to move abroad.
  • Options

So, i've now been here just over a year - amazing how time flies as they say.
    Must admit, there's not much about the UK that i miss- other than Charlton and M&S Roast Potato seasoning . There used to be a M&S in Lux until about 3 years ago but it got closed down.

Until this week i was the only Anglophone in the building, then all of a sudden there is another Pom and a Saffer who has joined us - the Brit coming from Portsmouth. the Saffer is a typical Saffer - full of shit. My French no 2 in the office resigned this week to go to a French bank in Lux - so, it may mean my contract being extended for a bit longer too. However, its clear there are a lot of opportunities in Lux should i want them.

So, French lingo is coming along.....slowly, but i can understand most of what is sent to me via email, and i can Parlay a bit too as long as its simple and slow (a bit like me really ). My French classes finish in May , but intend to try to do an intensive of 2/3 nights a week to get up and over the big hurdle of having conversational French - then i would hope i would be 'away' and on towards becoming fluent.

As i said above, there's not much about UK i miss, Lux is a lovely place - good, friendly,helpful people and the (huge number of) immigrants dont cause a problem . I suppose having the 2nd highest GDP after Kuwait helps- therefore the immigres tend to be of a higher 'quality'. there's no serious crime, no anti-social behaviour, no gangs on motor bikes coming around stealing your watches and the young come out of school speaking fluent Luxembourghish,French and English as a minimum (and thats the state schools).

Made a lot of friends, French and Belgians mainly - they are so easy and helpful, and only this week i was in France with several colleagues of mine celebrating the birth of first-born for one of my colleagues. We have a night out every other week which normally revolves more around eating than drinking.

Not many Britiish here, surprisingly, but almost all i know all are saying they dont want to go back to Blighty and wish to remain in Lux post Brexit.

All in all, a great move and would highly recommend Lux to anyone who has the opportunity to move here. Dont believe what people say re its boring - only yesterday i walked past a club that openly stated its opening hours were 8pm - 8am weekdays and non-stop during weekends. You can do anything you want at any time of the day.

Would like to welcome @addickfanatic as the latest recruit to the Charlton Supporters Club Luxembourg branch.
    Welcome Phil, i'm sure we will be turning The White Rose red when we are ever on tv this season (if ever)

Good luck to you. It takes a lot of guts to move abroad.
    Looking forward to the first meeting of the supporters club with @The_President. Thanks @ElfsborgAddick. Really enjoying Luxembourg, very different after many years in Cape Town. Love the fact that we are now central to the whole of Europe and great to be able to get home to see family more frequently.
    Like Stu, my French is improving, and I’m hoping to take on a Luxembourgish course later in the year.
    My kids are loving the independence here, in SA they would never travel on their own, here it’s very relaxed. The kids are really enjoying the schooling here and are currently learning German and Luxembourgish
    As Stu says there is plenty to do and we have already made plenty of new friends, and a very multicultural bunch from Albanian to South African.
    We’re driving to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and then Brussels at the end of May, we are making the most of our new location.
    Work wise I’m hoping to have my contract confirmed for September in the next couple of weeks and searching for a temporary position until then.

• Options
    Its a fabulous country.
    A real melting pot of nationalities and languages - but , as i mentioned earlier, quality immigrants with no anti-social behaviour, safe to walk city at nights, no gangs on mopeds stealing your watches or stabbing you for your jewellery - just wish i could understand what they are all talking about - but thats coming along slowly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Certainly no-one i know who is paid in Lux complains about high tax levels.
    In actual fact, if you are employed by EU,NATO in Lux as a lot of Expats are, then generally your pay is tax free.
  • Options
    OK, thought i'd give you an update on the situation as i have now entered my 3rd calendar year of being in Lux.
    Contract has been officially extended til end of June, but verbally end of year - so i must be doing something right. Company is shite tbh, no controls, no change management,no management even, however the people i work with , primarily French and Belgians are first class, as i mentioned before, i have made many friendships here with so many nationalities, and the Luxembourghish are tops too. Its been a wonderful place to work, and i would 1) highly recommend Luxembourg and 2) highly recommend working outside of your UK bubble - it really does open your eyes. Anyone who thinks Lux is boring clearly didnt get out and search enough.
    I'm back to being the only Anglophone in a building of circa 300 people - and there are not that many Brits in Lux full stop, even the Brit pub in Lux, The White Rose, has closed down - a big loss to the Brit community here.
    Winters can be a bit severe - i experienced -12 last winter and this winter there has already been snow - however, there is no breakdown in infrastructure like London - however its obviously a much smaller city.
    TBH, no real wish to return to Blighty - only things i miss are Charlton and some M&S products,oh, and the pub, and really notice the difference when i do return.

All-in-all, a fantastic move, not totally sure whats going to happen post Brexit, but Lux doesnt care about Brexit - it needs the skills that Brits bring to build the country, so they wont make it hard for Brits to work here.
  • Options
    BTW, my French is coming along ...slowly - still doing French evening courses but its been slow - really need a French speaking girlfriend :) Might give that a try this year.
  • Options

I'm back to being the only Anglophone in a building of circa 300 people - and there are not that many Brits in Lux full stop, even the Brit pub in Lux, The White Rose, has closed down - a big loss to the Brit community here.

😱 I can’t remember Lux without the White Rose! A true institution! Wow! I’m shocked!

• Options

😱 I can’t remember Lux without the White Rose! A true institution! Wow! I’m shocked!

Yep, a little tax misunderstanding with Lux revenue and Craig.
  • Options

OK, thought i'd let you all know, i'm now in my third week of working and living in sunny Luxembourg, and i must admit, i'm hugely impressed.

Not the liveliest city on the planet but still plenty to do should you want it - and the scenery is spectacular. People are friendly, and very helpful.

Work is a bit strange as i'm the only Brit (or even English speaker) on the floor, and even though its meant to be an English speaking office, most of the chat is in French - still, time to dust off the schoolboy French and start to learn.

Accommodation is a bit of a problem though - with prices in the same stratosphere as Central London - huge prices.

Anyway, things now settling down, and thanks for your wishes.

Buy a barge in France, sail it down and live on the river.
  • Options
    I worked in Money Broking for nigh on 30 years and we did a hell of a lot of business through Luxembourg due to their tax laws allowing banks to set up subsidiaries there. Brokers like Fultons, Tulletts, Kliem, Harlows, Finacor, Benelux, Finex and Destram all had offices there and I went numerous times to meet brokers at these companies. The White Rose was an institution, you started your evening there and finished your evening there with dinner in between. Not surprised it's gone though as the expat community must have shrunk so much in the last 5 years.
  • Options

OK, thought i'd give you an update on the situation as i have now entered my 3rd calendar year of being in Lux.
    Contract has been officially extended til end of June, but verbally end of year - so i must be doing something right. Company is shite tbh, no controls, no change management,no management even, however the people i work with , primarily French and Belgians are first class, as i mentioned before, i have made many friendships here with so many nationalities, and the Luxembourghish are tops too. Its been a wonderful place to work, and i would 1) highly recommend Luxembourg and 2) highly recommend working outside of your UK bubble - it really does open your eyes. Anyone who thinks Lux is boring clearly didnt get out and search enough.
    Winters can be a bit severe - i experienced -12 last winter and this winter there has already been snow - however, there is no breakdown in infrastructure like London - however its obviously a much smaller city.
    TBH, no real wish to return to Blighty - only things i miss are Charlton and some M&S products,oh, and the pub, and really notice the difference when i do return.

All-in-all, a fantastic move, not totally sure whats going to happen post Brexit, but Lux doesnt care about Brexit - it needs the skills that Brits bring to build the country, so they wont make it hard for Brits to work here.

I agree with everything you've said about moving abroard, it's a fantastic experience, I've also met some amazing people, although I'd guess SE Asia has a much higher % of weirdos, I've never felt as uncomfortable as I did in the irish bar in kampot, cambodia, some proper wronguns.
  • Options

Oops!

Have you been to the George and Dragon? Used to spend an awful amount of cash there many years ago!

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Oops!

Have you been to the George and Dragon? Used to spend an awful amount of cash there many years ago!

Geirge and Dragon is also closed down - last i heard it was being converted to apartments.
  • Options
    Good luck