Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon and their fans

I must admit that banner yesterday was completely out of order and am disgusted with it.
I know bad language happens at football matches but that banner and the specific "C" word used is not acceptable by any stretch.

There were loads of kids around me and that particular word is one they should not be getting exposed to.

That said the Wimbledon fans around me were pretty coarse too - and many of them wished death upon KR.

Truth be told I had a lot of respect for them when I got there yesterday - I left with absolutely zero.

Comments

• Options
    Whilst it's undeniable the banner was unnecessary and OTT, i'm pretty sure that any kid going to a football match these days probably hears the 'C' word about 50 times per game.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

That attitude really won't help keeping people on their side. Pissing away any remaining goodwill they built up during the MK Dons fiasco.

As @Kap10 has said the attitude of SOME of their fans pissed off a lot of people in non-league too.
  • Options

They remember me me of Dagenham & Redbridge. Took a real dislike to that team and their supporters in the FA Cup replay against them in 2001.

Most of them that day weren't D&G supporters and it was probably the first and last D&G game they'd ever been to.
  • Options

They remember me me of Dagenham & Redbridge. Took a real dislike to that team and their supporters in the FA Cup replay against them in 2001.

[edited when I re-read your post] Most of them at the match at the Valley weren't D&G supporters and it was probably the first and last D&G game they'd ever been to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What did the banner say?
  • Options
    I think their approach is understandable given the history. The bannerwas over the top but fans will always hold strong opinions.
  • Options
    I was just below the banner, a steward had gone in to remove it just as they scored their equaliser. I think she got slightly hurt in their celebrations.
  • Options

Whilst it's undeniable the banner was unnecessary and OTT, i'm pretty sure that any kid going to a football match these days probably hears the 'C' word about 50 times per game.

My son hasn't heard it once. I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible

I wasn't in hospitality @AFKABartram - I was however enjoying the music from the 90's
  • Options

They remind me of Dagenham & Redbridge. Took a real dislike to that team and their supporters in the FA Cup replay against them in 2001.

There were some proper arseholes at the first game let alone the replay.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Agree on the banner.

Was the pre match Corp non league style as well? Have visions of the lounge stinking of fried onions and a burger stall in the corner

If that was the case, the Sue wouldn't have been too pleased with her Perks.
    Ooooo 2 flags - Sue's in laws out in force today.
    You should wear those flags as a badge of honour.
  • Options
    The banner was a disgrace and there did not appear to be any effort by stewards to remove it , it was on display for quite a while and if I was connected with AFC I would be embarrassed.
  • Options
    What did Karl Robinson "lie" about that they're so upset about ?
  • Options
    Wimbledon always an irritant. Plough Lane was a khazi. Franchise just as loathsome.
    Only decent thing in Wimbledon was the Alex and I haven't been in there since about 2002 if it still exists. Never won at the dogs either.
  • Options
    Had a drink in their social club after the game with AFC supporter, and it did feel like a non league outfit. On stage one of their founder members interviewed Tom Elliot (goal scorer) and the mascots!!! Apparently AFC 'at the start of the season never dreamed we'd get four points off a club like Charlton, who have one of the biggest budgets in the league'.

Not sure what the banner was about. Someone had it purposely made for the occasion. KR does spout a load of bull, but not sure it warrants a banner.
  • Options

Most of them that day weren't D&G supporters and it was probably the first and last D&G game they'd ever been to.
    I know this to be true from first hand experience during and after the game.
  • Options

Dolce and Gabbana? :smiley:
    Lol...it would be a shame to edit that typo/auto correct so I'll let it stand in your honour
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Swisdom said:

I must admit that banner yesterday was completely out of order and am disgusted with it.
    I know bad language happens at football matches but that banner and the specific "C" word used is not acceptable by any stretch.

There were loads of kids around me and that particular word is one they should not be getting exposed to.

That said the Wimbledon fans around me were pretty coarse too - and many of them wished death upon KR.

Truth be told I had a lot of respect for them when I got there yesterday - I left with absolutely zero.

I agree about the banner, far too explicit and I hope there is some sort of sanction.

Not going to lump all fans of a club (other than Millwall) together but wishing death on someone is well out of order.

But we could say the same about throwing objects at linesmen.

We're not all to blame for that any more than all AFC fans are to blame for the banner.

Agreed, but it was just one person who seems to have thrown something at the linesman. And as far as I can tell no-one actually saw anything hitting him, so it must have been something very small (a 1p, a sweet, a peanut?). The lino was scouring the grass for some time, so I think he would have found the object were it of a decent size.
    It happened right in front of me, and (despite qulaifying for a Freedom Pass) my eyes are pretty decent, and I'm sure I would have spotten someting in the grass, as there wasn't much of it for an object to disappear into.

I was standing next to some lads who were pretty lairy, egging each other on etc. One of them was repeatedly yelling 'You c*nt, you're f*cking useless' at the lino, and there were kids nearby (one of mine and his friend amongst others). Although it's pretty common to hear that sort of stuff at football these day I had a word (said I knew you) and he piped down a bit. But I had a word mainly because the lino had a decent game after missing the elbow on Tex.

The Wimbledon fans clearly have a grudge against KR, but I thought that was working in our favour until the equaliser (totally Magennis's fault) as the team were battling well in the cause. The fact that Rudd had literally zero shots to save was a positive from the game.
    The fact that we struggle to hang onto the ball when put under pressure wasn't.