Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How old were your children when you started taking them to Charlton?

Know all kids are different but just wondering how old your children were before the world class football on display would hold their attention. Want to start taking mine but not sure if too young and whether they will be bored and not appreciate the privilege of the indoctrination.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Also it appears it is cheaper to buy 2 adults and 2 children u11 in the family stand (£25) than 2 adults and 1 u11 (£37) which is unique unless I have read it wrong
  • Options
    Ha that is young! Cheers
  • Options
    Personally I have never understood the notion of taking pre-school kids to football: limited attention span; boredom, constant need to move, eator piss etc etc.
    Ideally I would have taken my son at about 6 or 7 years but domestic circumstances meant it had to wait until he was 9
  • Options

Personally I have never understood the notion of taking pre-school kids to football: limited attention span; boredom, constant need to move, eator piss etc etc.
    Ideally I would have taken my son at about 6 or 7 years but domestic circumstances meant it had to wait until he was 9

For me it would have been pretty selfish to say to Mrs Plum who had done the lion's share of childcare during the week 'I'm off to football, you look after the baby'. I wasn't going to miss the football and it was a nice break for Mrs Plum and I quite enjoyed it.
    Led to indoctrination admittedly.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    seth plum said:

For me it would have been pretty selfish to say to Mrs Plum who had done the lion's share of childcare during the week 'I'm off to football, you look after the baby'. I wasn't going to miss the football and it was a nice break for Mrs Plum and I quite enjoyed it.
    Led to indoctrination admittedly.
    Indeed Seth, but don't make the assumption that I was going without the kids.
    In their toddler years we were running a hotel so I was in remission from Charlton
    Later In fact for 7 years I assumed the role of house-husband as my wife's career took off
    Edit (as I went off on a self-obsessed tangent) to say I take your point. I'm guessing yours were pre-school?
    2nd Edit: D'oh, just re-read from the beginning
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I first took my oldest to Crewe H, when they started kids for a quid. He was 5. I'd definitely not take them when they are younger and even then he only went occasionally. 6/7 is a better age to take regularly.
  • Options
    I have a 4-year-old and a 1-year-old. No way I'm taking either yet. The 4-year-old watches Footy Pups on CBeebies, but that's about the limit of her interest. I reckon it'd be a struggle making it to half-time.
    I'm guessing a lot of people reading this remember being very young when attending their first match, so could base it on that. I must have been 12 when I first went.

I imagine I'll take my kids when they're more like 8-9.
  • Options

My boy was 6 for his first visit BUT be prepared for,
    `I want to go home'
    `i'm cold and want to go home'
    `i'm hungry and want to go home'
    `it's boring, I want to go home'

Nothings changed then!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Mine were10 and 9, both girls. Loved it.
    Nowadays they prefer the away games.

• Options

My boy was 6 for his first visit BUT be prepared for,
    `I want to go home'
    `i'm cold and want to go home'
    `i'm hungry and want to go home'
    `it's boring, I want to go home'

Nothings changed then!
    Haha yes, I find myself saying these things to my son now
  • Options
    My eldest boy was five when he first went. a 1-0 win against Man City - Darren Bent scored .My youngest was three - A 1-0 win against Carlisle
  • Options
    Strange completely different for me Carly, my son had his first season ticket the year we were relegated from the prem he was 5, he has then seen shit after shite, but he lives eats breaths Charlton, wants to go every game home and away, the younger the better Rodney so they get the complete love of the club before they go primary school ( wot I call junior school) and the armchair fans get in their ears.
  • Options

Honestly mate. Taking kids to Charlton at this moment in time will scar them for life. .

They may never come back! I'm holding off taking my five year old. I have taken my oldest over the last five years and he's ten.
    He loves the game but these last couple of years have done some serious damage to his psyc. By that, I mean in terms of his affection for the game of football.

I know Charlton are and on the whole always have been pretty Shyte. I was bought up on it for gawds sake.
    But back then it was a loving kind of shyte...
    This new dawn is like nothing I've ever experienced and I really don't like it.

Have to agree with this. I think if I take him to too many games it's going to put him off. It's horrible down there at the minute. I always said I would never take him with this lot in charge but then he started to ask to come which I couldn't say no to.
  • Options
    5. A "thrill a minute" 0-0 draw against Leicester in 98.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the flip side, I started taking my dad when he was about 40.

@Jack Charlton started taking me when I was about 11
  • Options
    My boys were 6 and 8 - first game Boxing Day 1997 v Norwich. 2-1 win - phew!!

I seem to recall that season had a decent ending as well!!
  • Options
    Can only speak for myself, not as old as you lot, I was taken to a few games when I was 2, I'm guessing I enjoyed it (god knows how, prem glory fan I suppose, didn't sign up for this league 1 lark) so had a season ticket from the next year onwards. Now it's pretty much bred in to me, evil bastards.
  • Options

Strange completely different for me Carly, my son had his first season ticket the year we were relegated from the prem he was 5, he has then seen shit after shite, but he lives eats breaths Charlton, wants to go every game home and away, the younger the better Rodney so they get the complete love of the club before they go primary school ( wot I call junior school) and the armchair fans get in their ears.

Out of interest Steve,do your boys play?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Tommy was 10 when I took him to Fulham (3) Charlton (0) last year. He loved it. Wouldn't leave until every Charlton player had left the pitch, despite having sat in the rain for two hours.
    We're shortly heading off to the Wimbledon match for his first encounter with a terrace, and his second away match.
    I'm hoping to see @Henry Irving there, so we can reminisce about our time as (Bay City) Rollers fans.
    PS Massive snow flakes falling in Battersea as I write this.
  • Options
    My boy is three, I am a little apprehensive to take him, I think he would last 20 mins before he would want to do something else.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

My boys were 6 and 8 - first game Boxing Day 1997 v Norwich. 2-1 win - phew!!

I seem to recall that season had a decent ending as well!!

Kins with a lovely volley in that game I seem to remember.
  • Options
    My lad was 5 and went regular for a few seasons, at the mo he's in that funny stage but still talks about and keeps a keen interest, so I think he will go to games for many years, if that's okay with the smt.
  • Options
    My girls are almost 10 and 7, both had season tickets since they were 4 and love it, got plenty of shirts with names on etc
  • Options

My eldest boy was five when he first went. a 1-0 win against Man City - Darren Bent scored .My youngest was three - A 1-0 win against Carlisle

Was that against Stuart Pearce's Samba Football Manchester City side that scored like 6 goals in a season one year? Lucky it didn't put the poor lad off football entirely.