Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anatomy of a transfer

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-football-club-valley-review-feature-3566419.aspx

Interesting feature on the whole process of signing a player.

I did find this section amusing though

"(Steve Head) adds: “There is no substitute for watching a player live, in my opinion. Statistics are useful. They support the process but they shouldn’t drive it. They’re handy to have but a lot of it is down to interpretation – I’d never be comfortable recommending a player that I hadn’t seen play.”

Such a point is reinforced by Performance Analyst Shaw, who will also have access to a variety of stats on a player’s performance and history.

“Something we have addressed since the summer, is increasing physically going to watch players as a management team to get a feel for a player in the flesh,” he says."

Comments

• Options
    Good article
  • Options
    "who will also have access to a variety of stats on a player’s performance and history."

Hmm, that sounds like he is sat in front of a PC playing Football Manager...
  • Options
    First, we’ll identify an area where we think we need to strengthen or an area where we think we might be about to lose someone,” says Robinson.

We’ll draw up a list of six players; normally two from our U23s and four buys all at different levels. There might be a top one – the one you see as the best – and then you can categorise the rest.

Sounds like the very hyped Southampton Black Box type role... i.e. Even before they lose a player they know who they can replace him with should the worst happen - Although they appear to start the process a lot sooner than us.
  • Options

First, we’ll identify an area where we think we need to strengthen or an area where we think we might be about to lose someone,” says Robinson.

We’ll draw up a list of six players; normally two from our U23s and four buys all at different levels. There might be a top one – the one you see as the best – and then you can categorise the rest.

Sounds like the very hyped Southampton Black Box type role... i.e. Even before they lose a player they know who they can replace him with should the worst happen - Although they appear to start the process a lot sooner than us.

Having lost Fonte to West Ham, and Van Dijk to a serious injury it looks like Soton were a bit slack in their centre back forward planning as they now look very thin in that area!
  • Options
    If only certain people has listened to certain other people 3 years ago......
  • Options
    Missed It said:

It's only taken three years of unmitigated stupidity and incompetence for them to catch on to the absolute basics of scouting and signing players. Are we expected to be impressed that they're finally trying to do their jobs properly?

This. To late for all this old tosh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-football-club-valley-review-feature-3566419.aspx

Interesting feature on the whole process of signing a player.

I did find this section amusing though

"(Steve Head) adds: “There is no substitute for watching a player live, in my opinion. Statistics are useful. They support the process but they shouldn’t drive it. They’re handy to have but a lot of it is down to interpretation – I’d never be comfortable recommending a player that I hadn’t seen play.”

Such a point is reinforced by Performance Analyst Shaw, who will also have access to a variety of stats on a player’s performance and history.

“Something we have addressed since the summer, is increasing physically going to watch players as a management team to get a feel for a player in the flesh,” he says."

Hallelujah. Three years to get back to how a normal club operates. All the manager needs now is an owner willing to invest in the first team, in a serious attempt to move up the League, otherwise we are scouting in Poundland.
  • Options
    "Interesting but also very stupid"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qf6Sv3A9zs
  • Options
    Brentford use a scientific database recruitment process, indeed Warburton left because he and the club disagreed about how far this should go.
  • Options
    Really excellent article. They appear to have forgotten to mention Thomas Driesen, how remiss.
  • Options
    Recruitment Process
  • Options
    They go to watch players physically. Wow, how ever did they come up with something as revolutionary as that?