Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon v Charlton | Sat 11 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 11th February 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Carl Boyeson (East Yorkshire)

Introduction

After a stop start January; The Addicks returned to action at the Valley against promotion chasing Fleetwood Town last Saturday… With both sides on unbeaten runs it was always going to be a tough encounter and despite taking the lead late in the first-half, Charlton could hold on and late in injury time our Lancashire opponents earned themselves a fully deserved share of the spoils.

Once again though… Football has ground to a halt in South East London as we begin another three game haul of matches away from the Valley – This Saturday will finally see Karl Robinson facing a side below us in the table as we make the short trip for another South London Derby as we face: AFC Wimbledon.

The Opposition
Name: AFC Wimbledon | Manager: Neal Ardley
Ground: Kingsmeadow

In September, the new Dons made their first visit to South London… In my match preview prior to the fixture I gave them the plaudits they deserve for rising from the ashes and on the day they came to the Valley they showed their fighting spirit. With Charlton taking a deserved lead, they couldn’t find another route past the Dons ‘keeper and we were made to pay… Wimbledon had two attempts on goal that after and with both ending up in the net it meant that the points would return to the South West of London…

As mentioned, this is an opposition that don’t do failure and despite a slow start to life in League One, Neal Ardley has adapted well and for a brief few weeks it would look as though another promotion challenge was on the cards as they entered the Play-Offs… Sadly for the Dons though, that dream has faded in recent weeks as their form has stuttered (just two wins in the last 10-games), yet relegation candidates they surely will be not.

Charlton Team News
When the injury time board went up last Saturday, many Addicks fans knew that despite leading against Fleetwood there would be more drama to come… Come the full-time whistle and it felt as though we were lucky to get a point and with Nathan Byrne earning himself a late red card it meant that he’ll now miss the new three matches whilst Lewis Page having been sent off for Coventry earlier in the season will serve the second and final game of his own suspension.

In addition; Jake Forster-Caskey (calf) and Adam Chicksen (illness) both had to be substituted against Fleetwood yet should hopefully be fit to return this Saturday… The good news is that Josh Magennis has now resumed full training so will no doubt lead the line for a Charlton side looking to keep up their unbeaten run.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Teixeira | Chicksen
Crofts
Botaka | Forster-Caskey | Konsa | Holmes
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Jackson | Aribo | Ulvestad | Mavididi | Watt

Prediction
I said last week that Fleetwood was a must win match if we wanted to reach the Play-Offs… That aim now is simply going to become harder as slowly run out of games. A win at AFC Wimbledon this weekend won’t be easy but with our opponents on a poor run, failure to win will surely end any hopes of extending our season into May.

Comments

• Options
    dickplumb said:

I think our team will be

Rudd
    Solly Bauer, Konsa, Chicksen
    Crofts, Forster Caskey
    Holmes, Watt, Aribo
    Magennis

Subs Phillips, DaSilva, Texeira, Mavididi, Jackson Novak Botaka

This was the team I was debating whether to put down.

People have been saying though that in his pre-match video; Robinson is saying that we're playing 4-1-4-1 and because of that I cant imagine Watt pretty much playing in Midfield
  • Options

dickplumb said:

I think our team will be

Rudd
    Crofts, Forster Caskey
    Holmes, Watt, Aribo
    Magennis

People have been saying though that in his pre-match video; Robinson is saying that we're playing 4-1-4-1 and because of that I cant imagine Watt pretty much playing in Midfield
    Did he say we were playing 4-1-4-1 all the time or did he just mention it in relation to last week's game? If the latter, then dick's team should be more likely for Saturday. Watt's been asked to play a role for which he's not really suited, it would be a bit harsh to drop him for Botaka now that he could be given the possibility to play off Big Mag.
  • Options
    Think we will win and my fiver is going on a 1-2.
  • Options
    I agree with Dick and think Watt will play the number 10 role.

He may also rest Aribo and pput Konsa back to midfield and Tex at the back. Although Botika will be well rested, I still think he is better from the bench.
  • Options
    0-2 Away win and we start to find a bit of form
  • Options
    2-1 to us and the play-off dream lives on
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options

dickplumb said:

I think our team will be

Rudd
    Crofts, Forster Caskey
    Holmes, Watt, Aribo
    Magennis

He calls it a 433. He calls the wide players inside forwards and very much describes them as a front 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I bet Katie's looking forward to this one - the chance to pick up a few tips about how a football club should be run... wasn't she busy sunning herself in Dubai or something for the home fixture?.

Otherwise, 4-1-4-1 or not, I can't see Botaka starting ahead of Watt, although KR's surely gonna have to rotate the squad a bit with so many games coming up in quick succession.

Hopefully a Bolton style performance, 2-1 to Charlton, with much drinking, dancing and merryment in Crossbars until the early hours of Sunday
  • Options
    Wimbledon on a bad run but we'll struggle until Magennis comes off the bench. 2 - 1 to the Addicks.

Robinson sent off for fighting with the Wombles fans booing him.
  • Options
    Personally I'd try Aribo as the left inside forward, Watt at 10 and Holmes on the right. Botaka to come on for the last 20.

..... Magennis
    Aribo Watt Holmes
    ........Crofts JFC
    Chicksen Tex Bauer Solly
    Rudd

Novak Konsa Jackson Ulvestad Novak Mavididi Botaka
  • Options
    I think we'll win this
  • Options

Personally I'd try Aribo as the left inside forward, Watt at 10 and Holmes on the right. Botaka to come on for the last 20.

..... Magennis
    Aribo Watt Holmes
    ........Crofts JFC
    Chicksen Tex Bauer Solly
    Rudd

Konsa was mom last match and is one of our very best players at the moment whereas Aribo had an average game IMO so it is he who I would drop to the bench.

I do agree that Homes would be better on the right though.
  • Options
    Wimbledon only made their first visit to South London in September? Where have they been playing their home games? ;)
  • Options
    Can I say must win yet? And I think we will 1-2 to hopefully close the top six gap.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

..... Magennis
    Aribo Watt Holmes
    ........Crofts JFC
    Chicksen Tex Bauer Solly
    Rudd

Konsa was mom last match and is one of our very best players at the moment whereas Aribo had an average game IMO so it is he who I would drop to the bench.

I do agree that Homes would be better on the right though.
    Agreed but I feel he could do with a rest. Also I think JFC is our best player. And whilst Konsa can play lots of positions he can't play on the left. Whereas Aribo can..
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    0-2 Magennis double
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Listening to Karl Robinson on YouTube, it sounds likely that Magennis will start on the bench. If so, I guess that Watt will start up front again on his tod unless Robinson is tempted to play Novak or Mavididi, which I very much doubt. They'll probably both join Botaka on the bench.

I could see some merit in bringing Tex back into central defence and moving Konsa into midfield in order to try and counter the aerial threat of Elliot and Poleon. Regardless of who lines up, we need to defend set plays a hell of a lot better than we did last week.

I'm finding it difficult to see much of a goal threat from us, although hopefully Ricky Holmes - with another week's training under his belt - will pose a threat.
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    With Watt dropping to the bench we might finally get a striker on who can score.
    1-0 Big Josh.
  • Options
    Mag, Mav and Botta off the bench with 20 to go should get us a goal!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Mag, Mav and Botta off the bench with 20 to go should get us a goal!

Depends which 3 players have got injured or sent off before then
  • Options
    I think he has to bring Tex into defense and Konsa into midfield to provide a bit more protection in midfield and a bit more height and heading ability in central defense (and the team overall).

That said, I think it would be a good time to go with a back three against the two forwards of AFCW, but I don't see him ditching his favored formation.

3-5-1-1:
    Rudd
    Solly...Konsa..Bauer...Tex....Chicksen
    ......JFC....Crofts...Aribo
    ..............Holmes (free role)
    ..............Watt
    Could also go with Novak and Watt up front with Holmes behind them, but I don't know that Novak has really done anything to justify a starting spot.
  • Options
    This is a game we really need to win to keep any Play-Off hopes alive but i fear this will be yet another draw 1-1
  • Options
    philcafc said:

This is a game we really need to win to keep any Play-Off hopes alive but i fear this will be yet another draw 1-1

2 points per game will see us in or around the play-offs, but does it really matter if we're promoted or not? Name me five first team players who would be there in the Championship (and, sorry, not a dig at you, just saying it would be yet another false dawn)
  • Options
    Now big mag is back watt will start scoring.
    3.1 Charlton and time to start believing