Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Great Albums of 1974

Not done this for a while and since there's nothing else happening in CAFC world here goes

Pick your five favourite LPs of 1974

Veedon Fleece - Van Morrison's best IMHO

Before the Flood - Introduced me to the Band via Dylan

Natty Dread - The Wailers

Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan

Rock and Roll Animal - Lou Reed

Comments

• Diamond Dogs - David Bowie
    Apostrophe - Frank Zappa
    Rock N Roll Animal - Lou Reed
    David Live - David Bowie :smile:
  • Court and Spark - the ever lovely Joni Mitchell
    Red - King Crimson
    The Heart of Saturday Night - Tom Waits
    Diamond Dogs - Bowie
    Second Helping - Lynyrd Skynyrd
  • Neil Young - On the Beach.
  • Diamond Dogs - Bowie
    Kimono My House - Sparks
    Court and Spark - Joni Mitchell
    Sheet Music - 10cc
    Planet Waves - Bob Dylan.
    Sheer Heart Attack - Queen
    Country Life - Roxy Music
    It's only Rock and Roll - The Stones
  • The Hoople - Mott the Hoople
  • Grievous angel by Gram Parsons for me is the album of the year.
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd...... Second Helping
  • sralan said:

Lynyrd Skynyrd...... Second Helping

This
  • Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan
    David Live - David Bowie
    461 Ocean Boulevard - Eric Clapton
    Elton John Greatest Hits - Elton John (yes, really, 43 years ago was his first compilation)
    Photographs And Memories - Jim Croce
  • the first Kiss album
  • Sponsored links:

• Focus - Hamburger Concerto
    Supertramp - Crime Of The Century
    Gong - You
    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
    Camel - Mirage
    Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
    Kraftwerk - Autobahn
    ...and Abba's second LP, Waterloo

Camel.....a very very underrated band.
  • Humble Pie -Thunder box
  • Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
    Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory
    Genesis - The Lamb lies Down...
    Gong - You

For me 1974 was when a lot of creative bands started to run out of a ideas. After that things went shallow and paved the way for simpler music... IMHO

Not their greatest album but has a great version of I Can't Stand the Rain and superb backing vocals by The Blackbirds.
  • Rory Gallagher: Irish tour 1974:
    Frank Zappa: Live at the Roxy and Elsewhere:
    Steely Dan: Pretzel Logic
    Court and Spark: Joni

Not their greatest album but has a great version of I Can't Stand the Rain and superb backing vocals by The Blackbirds.
    Agree, not their greatest but they are the only band of that era I can happily listen to today.
  • Diamond Dogs - Bowie
    Kimono My House - Sparks
    Court and Spark - Joni Mitchell
    Sheet Music - 10cc
    Planet Waves - Bob Dylan.
    Sheer Heart Attack - Queen
    Country Life - Roxy Music
    It's only Rock and Roll - The Stones

Sheet music is an incredible album. A very underated bsnd.
  • edited February 2017
    Rhinos Winos and Lunatics - Man
    Slow Motion - Man
    Kamikaze - Deke Leonard. RIP 30/1/2017. Wonderful man.
  • Flat as a pancake. - headeast
  • Hawkwind - Hall of the Mountain Grill
    Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla
    Sweet - Sweet Fanny Adams
    Bowie - Diamond Dogs

Not a great year for music. Glam rock was dying and Punk hadn't started. I never got the Frank Zappa or Gong thing and i still don't understand why Tangerine Dream are seen as a heavy band, to me they are in the same league as Yes, just a lot of overlong instrumental drivel.

• Sponsored links:

Agree, not their greatest but they are the only band of that era I can happily listen to today.
    I've got a lot to thank my uncle for when it comes to music. He was about in that era and was a massive rock fan. He saw loads of concerts, including both Charlton gigs and got me into the bands of the time.

I've mentioned this before but one of the best things he did was take me to see Steve Marriott at the Tramshed in 84. I took my copy of performance and got it signed on the night.

• Planet Waves - Dylan
    Here Come The Warm Jets - Brian Eno
    Diamond Dogs - Bowie
    Kimono my House - Sparks
    Before the Flood - Dylan/The Band
    On The Beach - Neil Young
    New Skin for Old Ceremony - Leonard Cohen
    Fear - John Cale
    David Live - Bowie
    The Heart of Saturday Night - Tom Waits
    Veedon Fleece - Van Morrison
    Autobahn - Kraftwerk
    Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) - Brian Eno
    Walls and Bridges - John Lennon
    Apostrophe - Zappa
    Roxy and Elsewhere - Zappa/Mothers

Doesn't look a bad year to me. Imagine what we'd think of 2017 if half of these albums came out this year!

• Court And Spark - Joni Mitchell
    On The Beach - Neil Young
    Prezil Logic - Steely Dan
    Its Only Rock And Roll - Rolling Stones
    Its Too Late To Stop Now - Van Morrison
    Veedon Fleece - Van Morrison
    Before The Flood - Bob Dylan
    461 Ocean Boulevard - Eric Clapton
  • Obviously, Remember You're A Womble by The Wombles.

Such a classic among Wombles albums, I'm really surprised no-one else has mentioned it.
  • Be Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim
    Kraftwerk - Autobahn
    David Shire - Taking of Pelham Soundtrack
    Tomita - Snowflakes are Dancing
  • Bad Co. - Bad Company
    Feats don't fail me now - Little Feat
    The irish tour 1972 - Rory Gallagher
    On the Border - The Eagles
  • Bad Co. - Bad Company
    Feats don't fail me now - Little Feat
    The irish tour 1972 - Rory Gallagher
    On the Border - The Eagles

Some classic albums there.
  • Ah, those were the days...I haven't done this as a retrospective exercise, simply as a nod to the albums I liked best at the time and loads of evocative memories are associated with that period

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    Remember buying it the day it was came out in Boots, Woolwich. Curiously the 'record counter' used to be in the basement next to the home brew kits, strange! Anyway proper mysterious gatesfold sleeve, proper mysterious lyric booklet and proper mysterious music and lyrics - one of my all time favourites. For those unfamiliar or too young the Peter Gabriel led Genesis was a top band.

David Bowie - David Live
    Got this one after work (as a young apprentice Electrican at the Dorchester Hotel) in the large HMV store in Oxford Street. It used to claim to be the biggest record shop in the world and I was a frequent visitor. Having already seen Bowie I was a devotee and loved this double album. What a cool guy, those cover photos, such style.

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
    Again the mysterious enthralling gatefold sleeve and weird cover artwork which made the news at the time. A strange collection of Bowie tracks but some real classic, tracks such as Sweet Thing, We are the Dead, The Candidate and Chant of the ever circling skeletal family which were probably pointers to the future Berlin period. Love the crazy first track which finishes with 'This ain't Rock & Roll, this is genocide'. Playing it now and it still sounds good, well it does to me, at least.

Lou Reed - Rock 'n Roll Animal
    In truth probably didn't buy until a year or two later but a live rendition of one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Intro/Sweet Jane remains one of my all time favourites and certainly one of the best songs I have ever seen performed live.

Cockney Rebel - The Physcomodo
    Even back then I didn't think it was a great album and nowhere near as good as their debut album, The Human Menagerie. This was the first time that I'd managed to latch onto a band before they 'broke'. I was with them before 'Judy Teen' was released and there might be a few who can associate with that 'I bought their first single years before...' type of mentality which is definitely sad but undoubtedly rewarding, at least for old blokes.

Happy days!!

• edited February 2017
    Sensei said:

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
    Again the mysterious enthralling gatefold sleeve and weird cover artwork which made the news at the time. A strange collection of Bowie tracks but some real classic, tracks such as Sweet Thing, We are the Dead, The Candidate and Chant of the ever circling skeletal family which were probably pointers to the future Berlin period. Love the crazy first track which finishes with 'This ain't Rock & Roll, this is genocide'. Playing it now and it still sounds good, well it does to me, at least.

It's always been one of my favourite Bowie albums.
    Even though it represented a transition phase between the rock/pop of Ziggy/Aladdin and the "Plastic Soul" of Young Americans.
    And of course it was a "rescue" job after Orwells widow nixed his request to make an album/show of 1984 with half the songs already done!
    Still he comes up with his own dystopian fantasy world and with songs as strong as SweetThing/Candidate and then he out-riffs Keef on his Stones parody Rebel Rebel.
    The "1984" songs on side 2 (of the original album) are brilliant and I really think if he'd been allowed to finish that project it would have been sensational.
    To top it all, when the 40th (?) anniversary CD was released we got "Alternative Candidate", possibly my favourite "outtake" by anyone ever.
    Cover art brilliant (airbrushed genitalia now restored on CD reissues!)
    Artist Guy Paellart (sp?) was flavour of the month after doing the Stones IORNR cover and collaborating with Nik Cohn on "Rock Dreams".
    Bowie was on a roll throughout the 70's