Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lost Wailers tapes found and restored

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38878670

"Lost recordings by Bob Marley found in a damp hotel basement in London after more than 40 years have been restored.
The tapes are the original, high-quality live recordings of the reggae legend's concerts in London and Paris between 1974 and 1978. Tracks include No Woman No Cry, Jamming and Exodus."

Always thought is strange that there are only seven tracks on "Live".

Would love to hear some more of that era Wailers.

Comments

• Options
    cant wait to hear them.

coincidently i have just finished the book a brief history of seven killings.
  • Options
    Excellent news, I love Marley.
  • Options
    interesting
  • Options
    Can the BBC not even do simple maths. If they were lost sometime after 1978 they cannot possibly be 40 years old.

Just saying.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Can the BBC not even do simple maths. If they were lost sometime after 1978 they cannot possibly be 40 years old.

Just saying.

They were lost sometime after 1978 - but three of the four concerts date back 40+ years

The recordings are from concerts at the Lyceum in London (1975), the Hammersmith Odeon (1976), the Rainbow, also in London (1977), and the Pavilion de Paris (1978).

The BBC get enough bad PR so I'll cut them some slack on this one!

• Options
    Looking forward to hearing these, which we no doubt will. The finder was on Radio 4 yesterday and Nick Robinson (I think) asked him about releasing them on an album(s) and he said 'I hadn't really given that much thought'. Yes right!

Marley = true legend.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Looking forward to hearing these, which we no doubt will. The finder was on Radio 4 yesterday and Nick Robinson (I think) asked him about releasing them on an album(s) and he said 'I hadn't really given that much thought'. Yes right!

Marley = true legend.

Problem will be establishing who owns the music and so who makes money from it.

Not the guys who found it although they have established they own the tapes.

Very short clips of Jamming and a different version of no woman, no cry played on Robert Elms show and quality was high.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Marley = true legend.

Very short clips of Jamming and a different version of no woman, no cry played on Robert Elms show and quality was high.
    Yes, they played a bit of No Woman No Cry on Radio 4 and it sounded very good.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

bobmunro said:

Marley = true legend.

Missed that on the Elms show unfortunately.

The Marley estate is very litigious. They'll stake their claim, although I'd expect Island, who would probably have paid for the recordings, to put in their own claim. The Marley estate may have to make do with the publishing.

A friend of mine who recorded them playing acoustically in a Holiday Inn bedroom had his hopes of cashing in by releasing the material dashed by Marley estate lawyers. They let him keep the tape though because he was Rita Marley's brother - also known as Dread Lepke, founder of DBC (Dread Broadcasting Corporation), claimed to be London's first pirate station. It was brilliant stuff. He wasn't allowed to make me a copy unfortunately. I last heard it in '78.

My tiny label released an album called The Legendary Skatalites in Dub, which also arose when some 'lost' tapes from 1975 surfaced. Although it was nothing compared to the discovery of these tapes, there was a bit of a ripple amongst reggae and dub fans. Again these were falling apart and we had to clean and bake them. Even then we had missing bits, and we had to use a cassette copy to fill in the missing sections. It was hundreds of hours work.
    It was by some way our most successful release, gaining some great reviews and a bit of radio play. I think it's the only dub album featuring double bass. Sadly most of the musicians who played on it have died over the last ten years.

https://youtu.be/mceavsz02Xk
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Marley = true legend.

The Marley estate, their various warring lawyers and individual infighting are legendary.
    This could possibly rumble along for yonks!