Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

11 games in 35 days, how many do we need to win?

edited February 2017 in General Charlton
Quite a run of games coming up, and it will probably make or break our season.

How many do you think we need to win to claw our way into the playoffs?

Im thinking 7 or 8 of them, assuming the teams above us keep winning. Its going to be hard with our thin squad and we need to hope we dont get any further injuries.

Comments

• Five Wins... Oldham | Oxford | Bury | Shrewsbury | Walsall
    Five Draws... Wimbledon | Rochdale | Northampton | Scunthorpe | Bradford
    One Defeat... Sheffield United
  • edited February 2017
    2 points a game average has to be the target so 22 pts estimated required haul

7 wins 1 draw 3 losses
    6 wins 4 draws 1 losses

Any of the above though I'd be amazed if we remained unbeaten. I'd say 6 wins along with 4 draws is fine.
  • 8 wins will see us on a roll
  • 2 points a game average has to be the target so 22 pts estimated required haul

7 wins 1 draw 3 losses
    6 wins 4 draws 1 losses
    5 wins 7 draws

Any of the above though I'd be amazed if we remained unbeaten. I'd say 6 wins along with 4 draws is fine.

22 points would leave us on 62 points with 9 games left to play? Win 4 (maybe even 3) of those 9 and scrape few points from the rest and we should make the play offs.

Cant see it happening.
  • A winning streak is needed badly, an average of 2•5 points a game is a must, it would make the next few weeks more entertaining.
  • Unbeaten till the end of the season. Unfortunately all draws...
  • Unfortunately all draws...

Russell Slades dream....
  • Ideally all of them
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopefully 6 or 7. Probably 4.
  • CAFCTrev said:

2 points a game average has to be the target so 22 pts estimated required haul

7 wins 1 draw 3 losses
    6 wins 4 draws 1 losses
    5 wins 7 draws

22 points would leave us on 62 points with 9 games left to play? Win 4 (maybe even 3) of those 9 and scrape few points from the rest and we should make the play offs.

Cant see it happening.
    It's possible if we keep averaging 2 points a game for the rest of the season which would take us to 80 pts with a margin of about 3-4 pts if we were to finish 6th.

A huge ask I agree but not impossible given we have the bottom 8 teams all to play again. If we had the top 8 all to play I'd say no chance...
  • edited February 2017
    3 wins 4 draws 4 defeats and at the end of it all, Robinson will say "Im proud, not many people go to the likes of Oldham and AFC Wimbledon and get 1-1 draws.we can now kick on and try and go nick 12th"
  • What are the odds Karl will mention the fans during a post match interview.....
  • Five Wins... Oldham | Oxford | Bury | Shrewsbury | Walsall

You're looking at the League table which shows clubs form after around 30 matches.

Better to look at the form tables of the past 6 matches.
    That'll give you a better indication.

And anyway, it's football and logic can go out of the window.

• cafc4life said:

3 wins 4 draws 4 defeats and at the end of it all, Robinson will say "Im proud, not many people go to the likes of Oldham and AFC Wimbledon and get 1-1 draws.we can now kick on and try and go nick 12th"

Don't you mean Slade would say that?
  • One.

Can only play one game at a time so focus on that.
  • If by some miracle we get into the play-offs, actually win them and get promoted, then what? Will the regime invest in the squad to ensure survival? Or will we just go through the same nonsense of last season, regularly getting thumped by 3 goals or more whilst the usual suspects stuff their faces from the executive lounge laughing at our dwindling attendances and claiming 'it isn't about the results, it's about the experience'.

Don't get me wrong, I want the club to succeed. I want it to get promoted and want it to do well, but under these clowns? We're barely treading water in League One and there is a wealth of evidence to suggest should we somehow climb out of here, the squad would not receive the appropriate level of investment to ensure anything other than the regular dickings we were on the receiving end of last season.
  • More than we will most probably! We need luck with injuries and some momentum if it is to happen.
  • edited February 2017

Five Wins... Oldham | Oxford | Bury | Shrewsbury | Walsall

Wimbledon (W)
    Oldham (W)
    Rochdale (L)
    Oxford (D)
    Bury (W)
    Shrewsbury (D)
    Northampton (L)
    Scunthorpe (D)
    Walsall (W)
    Bradford (D)
    Sheff Utd (L)
    MK Dons (W)
    Peterboro (D)
    Southend (D)
    Coventry (W)
    Gillingham (W)
    Chesterfield (W)
    Swindon (W)

I've gone all out for the rest of the season - this is what I think. Means we finish on 73 pts - I think I've been too over optimistic
  • Sponsored links:

• Even though they had/have been on a great run - we are playing catch up and games like Fleetwood really must be 3 points! That isn't disrespecting them, it is acknowledging what we need to do.
  • In fact way too over optimistic - I've said we're gonna win 9/18
  • edited February 2017
    I said after the win at Bolton that home form will be crucial until the end of the season because teams will come to shut up shop and put the onus on us to break them down, completely the opposite to our two banks of four behind the ball at The Macron.

So we fail at the first hurdle taking just the one point, it is this failure to take it to teams and put them away which is likely to be our undoing in the run in.

Having said this if we had been offered 4 points from the Bolton and Fleetwood games we would have taken them. Magennis is about to return so a point Saturday at non league ground Kings Meadow won't be a disaster provided we win the next home game............... hmm, too long in the tooth so I won't be putting my house on it.
  • I think we can only afford to lose three games now. Will take a monumental effort to get a playoff place now. 70 + points required at least.
  • RedChaser said:

I said after the win at Bolton that home form will be crucial until the end of the season because teams will come to shut up shop and put the onus on us to break them down, completely the opposite to our two banks of four behind the ball at The Macron.

So we fail at the first hurdle taking just the one point, it is this failure to take it to teams and put them away which is likely to be our undoing in the run in.

Having said this if we had been offered 4 points from the Bolton and Fleetwood games we would have taken them. Magennis is about to return so a point Saturday at non league ground Kings Meadow won't be a disaster provided we win the next home game............... hmm, too long in the tooth so I won't be putting my house on it.

It won't be the end of the world, but will make our task increasingly harder. The players have to know that it is wins from here on in!
  • edited February 2017
    Eleven games? When has the laughable, ridiculous and incompetent current ownership of this club ever looked that far ahead? There's no guarantee that Robinson's replacement will still be in charge in eleven games' time, is there?