Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Groundhopping

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:

Should stick my photo from Espanyol v Girona, nice modern (if a bit boring) stadium in the suburbs of Barcelona.

Going to see 1860 Munich at the weekend, need to stop visiting these cities when the big team are away from home!

I bet getting in was easier for you. I had to produce photo ID to get a ticket, then they wanted to see my passport when going through the turnstile.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Should stick my photo from Espanyol v Girona, nice modern (if a bit boring) stadium in the suburbs of Barcelona.

Going to see 1860 Munich at the weekend, need to stop visiting these cities when the big team are away from home!

I bet getting in was easier for you. I had to produce photo ID to get a ticket, then they wanted to see my passport when going through the turnstile.
    Getting into Espanyol was fine.

For 1860 I’ve had to provide my passport in advance, provide proof that I live outside of Germany and make a direct international bank transfer to 1860 Munich for the tickets (no credit cards). Apparently it’s a high profile game from a security perspective so not sure what I’m walking into, doubt it’s going to be River v Boca though.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Getting into Espanyol was fine.

For 1860 I’ve had to provide my passport in advance, provide proof that I live outside of Germany and make a direct international bank transfer to 1860 Munich for the tickets (no credit cards). Apparently it’s a high profile game from a security perspective so not sure what I’m walking into, doubt it’s going to be River v Boca though.
    I went to see 1860 about 5 years ago 16 of us (stag weekend) were able to roll up and get a ticket 30 mins before kick off. It’s probably changed now though. Who are they playing?
  • Options

I’d rather watch 1860 at Grunwalder than the Allianz.

Any pics of Palmerston @RedPanda
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Was at the 1860 v Zwickau match today, 1860 won 2-0. German 3rd tier which seemed to be National League standard of football but attendance was a 15,000+ sell out. Could see about 80% of the pitch.

@ricky_otto - I think that timeframe means you probably saw 1860 at the Allianz Arena, as you can see from my picture they definitely aren’t there any more! They got thrown out by Bayern a couple of years ago for not paying their rent (I believe - not entirely sure on the sequence of events) so they are now back at their spiritual home of the Grünwalder Stadion in southern Munich.

You are right - was at the Allianz. Didn’t realise that had moved on since then. It was miles too big for them anyway.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I'm on the way back from a day trip to Queen of the South 1-0 Partick Thistle. Really bad game of football but it's a cool little ground and Dumfries has lots of (slightly odd) pubs.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can get any further into Scotland in a day. Not sure I'd want to either, been out bloody 18 hours now.

Annan and Gretna are decent day trips as well.
  • Options

RedPanda said:

I'm on the way back from a day trip to Queen of the South 1-0 Partick Thistle. Really bad game of football but it's a cool little ground and Dumfries has lots of (slightly odd) pubs.

I could be wrong but I don't think you can get any further into Scotland in a day. Not sure I'd want to either, been out bloody 18 hours now.

Could you make Berwick Rangers and back in a day from London? Although of course they aren’t technically in Scotland!
  • Options
    Berwick will be about 3.5 hours from London
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any of you "crazy" :-) people who travel to these weird and wonderful places ever buy the Football Weekends magazine? (Or at least read it in WH Smiths in your lunchtime).

It's a good read for people who like travelling to games in different places.

And the next issue - not the one that is out now - has got a special report on visiting Charlton.
  • Options
    Berwick can be done in a day by train - last train from Kings Cross to get there in time leaves at 10.00 arriving 13.40 and there is an 18.18 back or 17.12 if you are prepared to run. The only thing to bear in mind is that the months of January, February and March are when the bad weather hits and postponements are common. It would be safer to wait until late March / early April now - Annan away on 6 April when Charlton are away at Plymouth would be a good one - can be done in a day from Euston - tip - buy a Carlisle return from Euston then at Carlisle buy an Annan return on the day - much cheaper - Annan have an artificial pitch so touch wood regarding weather, and its walkable from the station. Tickets from Euston or Kings Cross do ideally need to be booked in advance to get a good fare - too expensive to pay on the day - eg £140 day return Kings Cross - Berwick

After that its Queens Park at home 13 April, Albion at home 27 April (but Charlton away at Gillingham)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

RedPanda said:

Could you make Berwick Rangers and back in a day from London? Although of course they aren’t technically in Scotland!
    Comfortably, only an hour from Newcastle. Although worth an overnight stay as Berwick is very pleasant.
  • Options

Any of you "crazy" :-) people who travel to these weird and wonderful places ever buy the Football Weekends magazine? (Or at least read it in WH Smiths in your lunchtime).

And the next issue - not the one that is out now - has got a special report on visiting Charlton.

The Non-League Paper is a fantastic read, coming out on a Sunday.
  • Options

I hadn’t heard of this magazine until Thursday, bought a copy Friday and got to say I think it’s excellent .
  • Options
    Dorking Wanderers v Tonbridge Angels was a 1st v 3rd clash in the Bostik League.

A cracking game ended 1-0 to Tonbridge Angels.
  • Options
    Was at Torquay v Welling, finished 3-1 to Torquay. Welling are a little hard done by, the pitch was fairly waterlogged and Torquay coped better. Torquay now 2 points clear at the top of the National League South.

Attendance was 2,400 (50 Welling).
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Marlow v Waltham Abbey yesterday in the Bostik South Central finished 3-1 to the away team, a very wet and cold 90 souls witnessed a very good game, and only a second defeat all season to the leaders Marlow.

This is a cracking ground, full of character, with one of the best main stands on the non-league circuit.

Marlow are one of an increasing number of non-league clubs that do not produce a hard copy programme, my only momento of yesterday was the team sheet. They do produce an online programme, better than nothing of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stourbridge v Coalville Town in an Evo-stik Premier fixture which finished 4-2 to the home side.

Entertaining game played in torrential rain and freezing cold winds, Coalville scored shortly after the break, a volley after about 2 minutes,Stourbridge levelled just before half time. Playing conditions were worse in the second half, Good atmosphere and from being 1-1 at half time went 2-1 stourbridge then 2-2 then 3-2 stourbridge and 4-2 shortly after, bit harsh on Coalville who pushed Stourbridge all the way.
    Good Ground facilities, nice clubhouse, decent Programme, Tea £1, curry and chips for a fiver, good ale selection on offer.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Stourbridge v Coalville Town in an Evo-stik Premier fixture which finished 4-2 to the home side.

Entertaining game played in torrential rain and freezing cold winds, Coalville scored shortly after the break, a volley after about 2 minutes,Stourbridge levelled just before half time. Playing conditions were worse in the second half, Good atmosphere and from being 1-1 at half time went 2-1 stourbridge then 2-2 then 3-2 stourbridge and 4-2 shortly after, bit harsh on Coalville who pushed Stourbridge all the way.
    Good Ground facilities, nice clubhouse, decent Programme, Tea £1, curry and chips for a fiver, good ale selection on offer.

Time travel?
  • Options
    Friday night football in Catford to start the Christmas break.

Lewisham Borough v Phoenix Sports reserves in division two of the Kent League.

This is a 3-sided ground which is basically an athletics ground. It is adjacent to the old Catford greyhound stadium.

An away win of 2-1 witnessed by an official gate of 98. Never was there 50 people in the ground, who says it's only Charlton that camouflage the attendances.
  • Options
    Crawley Down Gatwick play in a small village just outside Three Bridges.

Yesterday's game was a Sussex League Premier Division match v Arundel.

This was a cracking game played by two evenly matched sides ending 3-2 to Crawley Down Gatwick. The winner coming from a worldie of a 25 yard free kick to excite the crowd of 52.
  • Options
    East Preston v Pagham yesterday in the top division of the Sussex League. A very basic ground in Angmering, a small town just outside Littlehampton.

The game finished 2-2, lit up by a cracking 2nd goal for East Preston. The gate was advertised as 107 but my headcount said about 70.
  • Options

East Preston v Pagham yesterday in the top division of the Sussex League. A very basic ground in Angmering, a small town just outside Littlehampton.

The game finished 2-2, lit up by a cracking 2nd goal for East Preston. The gate was advertised as 107 but my headcount said about 70.

Mrs Elfsborg says that’s where you are from.
    Poor effort Dicky.
  • Options
    Stourbridge v Banbury in the Evo Stik Southern Premier Central League.

Until a mistake by the Banbury keeper neither keeper had a shot to save. A very even game ended with top of the table Stourbridge winning 2-0.

A cracking ground well worth a visit.
  • Options
    Off to Germany in a couple of weeks for monchengladbach v augsburg and Fortuna Düsseldorf v RB Leipzig . Tickets for both came to a combined cost of £37. First time there . Looking forward to it
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Basildon v Brentwood in the Bostik North finished 2-1 to the home side.

I went with an old mate of mine who follows Basildon. I was thought of as a good luck charm as this was their first win since September. They have persuaded me to go to Coggeshall in March!

A cracking little ground, very quirky.