Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

cabin crew to taser unruly passengers

According to an article I've been reading. Anyway, as this site is the font of all wisdom and total bollox, I was wondering, I take it as it's basically delivering an electric shock, should the person being tasered who, will no doubt be in the cramped space that is an aeroplane cabin, be touching somebody close by at the time then wont that person also get tasered ? And if that is the case, wouldn't using the taser in economy risk taking out 3 or 4 passengers ?

Also, as it's an oxygen/alcohol rich environment, is there not a danger of explosion ?

Comments

• Talking of total bollox...
  • Taser works by firing two spikes into you at high speed. Current passes between the two spikes. It's unlikely to be earthed through more than one person, even if their skins are touching.

Anyway, this seems a bad idea because tasers are a bad idea
  • edited February 2017
    No, others touching the person tasered will not get shocked. The electric current only travels through the persons body in a line between the two metal probes (Same as a defibrillator). I s'pose if one probe went into one person and the second probe went into another it whilst they were holding tightly onto each other then in theory both being shocked is possible. But the probes will have been fired from such close range that the probes won't spread far enough apart to hit two people.

I don't think oxygen levels on airplanes are significantly dangerous enough to cause an explosion. Indeed Stun guns have apparently already been used on airplanes successfully.

Yes in theory flammable liquids can be set alight by a taser but it would have to be pure/ extremely high % alcohol which isn't going to be on an airplane. Hitting someones in flight beverage isn't going to do anything other than make the probes wet.

...and up you pop ?
  • edited February 2017
    DRAddick said:

No, others touching the person tasered will not get shocked. The electric current only travels through the persons body in a line between the two metal probes (Same as a defibrillator). I s'pose if one probe went into one person and the second probe went into another it whilst they were holding tightly onto each other then in theory both being shocked is possible. But the probes will have been fired from such close range that the probes won't spread far enough apart to hit two people.

I don't think oxygen levels on airplanes are significantly dangerous enough to cause an explosion. Indeed Stun guns have apparently already been used on airplanes successfully.

Yes in theory flammable liquids can be set alight by a taser but it would have to be pure/ extremely high % alcohol which isn't going to be on an airplane. Hitting someones in flight beverage isn't going to do anything other than make the probes wet.

Re defibrillators, if the current can't pass from one person to another, why is it (on TV at least) the person who is about to give the shock says 'clear' to those around them ?
  • edited February 2017

DRAddick said:

Re defibrillators, if the current can't pass from one person to another, why is it (on TV at least) the weapon who is about to give the shock says 'clear' to those around them ?
    Didn't say it couldn't, just that it is highly unlikely. It's good practice to make sure someone isn't touching the patient between the two pads where the electricity is passing which increases the risk of the second person getting a shock. Also the second person may be wearing metals which could increase the risk of secondary shock. Just as an important a reason is that In the case of a difribulater it is a sensitive computer that is constantly monitoring the persons heart rhythm and someone else touching can (again a small chance) effect the reading of the machine if it picks up the other persons heart rhythm too. (Edit - Please note I'm only talking about the defibs used in the street. I have no knowledge or experience of the ones used in hospitals. I'd imagine they're a lot more powerful).
  • DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

Re defibrillators, if the current can't pass from one person to another, why is it (on TV at least) the weapon who is about to give the shock says 'clear' to those around them ?
    Didn't say it couldn't, just that it is highly unlikely. It's good practice to make sure someone isn't touching the patient between the two pads where the electricity is passing which increases the risk of the second person getting a shock. Also the second person may be wearing metals which could increase the risk of secondary shock. Just as an important a reason is that In the case of a difribulater it is a computer that is constantly monitoring the persons heart rhythm and someone else touching can (again a small chance) effect the reading of the machine if it picks up the other persons heart rhythm too.
    Great answers, thanks for that
  • tasers on stun Mr Spock
  • Sponsored links:

• @DRAddick you might be talking total rubbish, but you say it with such authority, I simply have to believe you.
  • @DRAddick you might be talking total rubbish, but you say it with such authority, I simply have to believe you.

Perhaps DRAddick is actually representative of Doctor Addick and not somebody with a Dartford postcode as I've always assumed
  • DA = Dartford.
  • DR =dresdon
  • My children are unruly. At least this will help a bit.
  • Looks like Otto will have to behave on the flight back from Amsterdam then.
  • What happens though if they taser someone who isnt that well

Tasers can easily kill if you've not got a strong heart?
  • What happens though if they taser someone who isnt that well

Tasers can easily kill if you've not got a strong heart?

It'll teach others who aren't well not to act like complete members on a flight.

...and up you pop ?
    God you're boring.
  • Sponsored links:

• According to an article I've been reading. Anyway, as this site is the font of all wisdom and total bollox, I was wondering, I take it as it's basically delivering an electric shock, should the person being tasered who, will no doubt be in the cramped space that is an aeroplane cabin, be touching somebody close by at the time then wont that person also get tasered ? And if that is the case, wouldn't using the taser in economy risk taking out 3 or 4 passengers ?

Also, as it's an oxygen/alcohol rich environment, is there not a danger of explosion ?

Least line of resistance, the current flows from one barb to the other. So its very unlikely for others to get a bolt.
    Its not oxygen rich in an aircraft, it will be about the same or less as it is on the ground. The cabin is pressurised but not to the same as ground level, I think it is the equivalent to a few thousand feet. That why the tea tastes shite, the water is not hot enough.
  • A suitable case for a good tasering or two ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38899472
  • If you fly with Ryanair expect an electric bill to follow the tazing :-)