Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2017

Comments

• Morgan confirms Roy will play & says he can't see that changing throughout the tournament
  • edited June 2017
    So the fun and games are over and soon (next week) reality returns as the Test series against S Africa begins. We haven't played a Test since December and I cannot believe that we have never played a Test in a peacetime summer by July 7th before. Just to remind you, this was our last line up:

Cook
    Jennings
    Root
    Ali
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Butler
    Dawson
    Rashid
    Broad
    Ball

Of course that was a horses for courses sub-continent side. Who will open with the in-form Cook? Will the equally in-form Balance return? Baby Boycott is not having a good season. Is Jimmy finished?
  • Ali at 4 ?
  • Ok should have read it properly - this was last team out
  • Where's first Test being played?
  • Jake Ball ruled out of 1st test
  • Team I would like to see picked for the first test.

Cook, Jennings, Stoneman, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, T. Curran, Broad, Wood, Crane
  • Is Hameed injured or just out of form?
  • McBobbin said:

Is Hameed injured or just out of form?

He has hardly scored a run this Summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• dickplumb said:

McBobbin said:

He needs to play against Kent.

In all seriousness didn't he break his hand? Perhaps he hasn't fully recovered.
  • LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

McBobbin said:

I don't think it's his hand. Bizarrely he's been doing OK in one day matches, a competition which, prior to this season, he'd never played a single game in but, by all accounts, this has meant that he is now playing at balls in the longer form of the game that he was previously leaving well alone.

The other aspect is that he was an unknown quantity last season - nowadays every county has an analyst that will look at a player's areas of scoring and areas of weakness. So, Baby Boycott has to find ways to counteract that - whereas his "Dad" probably wasn't found out quite as soon in his career as Hameed has and consequently was more certain in his own ability.
  • LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

McBobbin said:

I don't think it's his hand. Bizarrely he's been doing OK in one day matches, a competition which, prior to this season, he'd never played a single game in but, by all accounts, this has meant that he is now playing at balls in the longer form of the game that he was previously leaving well alone.

The other aspect is that he was an unknown quantity last season - nowadays every county has an analyst that will look at a player's areas of scoring and areas of weakness. So, Baby Boycott has to find ways to counteract that - whereas his "Dad" probably wasn't found out quite as soon in his career as Hameed has and consequently was more certain in his own ability.
    And also didn't play other formats (until much later in his career) that would have 'poisoned' his naturally defensive style.
  • dickplumb said:

Team I would like to see picked for the first test.

Cook, Jennings, Stoneman, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, T. Curran, Broad, Wood, Crane

That's got quite a heavy Durham (or ex) bias.
    Its unlikely they'll play Crane yet.

so. for me...
    Cook,Jennings,Stoneman,Root,Bairstow,Stokes,Ali, Broad,Jimmy ( is he injured?),Wood, Roland-Jones.

That lineup would mean 7 of top 9 being lefties.!
  • On that Cricket Writers thing on Sky the other day, they reckoned that Root is very keen on Yorkshire team mate Ballance playing.

Cook
    Jennings
    Root
    Ballance
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Ali
    Rashid
    Broad
    Wood
    Anderson

I'd rather see someone like Stoneman given a chance, than watch Ballance struggle against international bowling
  • LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

McBobbin said:

And also didn't play other formats (until much later in his career) that would have 'poisoned' his naturally defensive style.
    Boycott played one-day cricket throughout his career. He scored 146 in the Gillette Cup final 1965 and was still playing in The John Player League in 1984! On the post Packer tour to Australia 1979/80 his place in the one day side for The Benson & Hedges World Series was questioned by some (he was left out of the first game) and he responded by scoring 68, 105, 68, 86*, 35 and 63 in the six games he played.
  • Ben18 said:

On that Cricket Writers thing on Sky the other day, they reckoned that Root is very keen on Yorkshire team mate Ballance playing.

Cook
    Jennings
    Root
    Ballance
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Ali
    Rashid
    Broad
    Wood
    Anderson

I'd rather see someone like Stoneman given a chance, than watch Ballance struggle against international bowling

As an insomniac I think I'd prefer Ballance.
  • dickplumb said:

Team I would like to see picked for the first test.

That's got quite a heavy Durham (or ex) bias.
    Its unlikely they'll play Crane yet.

so. for me...
    Cook,Jennings,Stoneman,Root,Bairstow,Stokes,Ali, Broad,Jimmy ( is he injured?),Wood, Roland-Jones.

That lineup would mean 7 of top 9 being lefties.!
    That is why I put the team I would like to see picked. It will not be who the selectors will pick. I hope they don't go down the Ballance route. I agree it is a bit early for Crane but he is a class bowler. Why not give him a chance against SA.

• LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

McBobbin said:

Boycott played one-day cricket throughout his career. He scored 146 in the Gillette Cup final 1965 and was still playing in The John Player League in 1984! On the post Packer tour to Australia 1979/80 his place in the one day side for The Benson & Hedges World Series was questioned by some (he was left out of the first game) and he responded by scoring 68, 105, 68, 86*, 35 and 63 in the six games he played.
    I stand corrected, however, one day cricket in those days was in its infancy , and batting styles didn't change *that* much from 1 day to longer form.
  • LenGlover said:

dickplumb said:

McBobbin said:

I stand corrected, however, one day cricket in those days was in its infancy , and batting styles didn't change *that* much from 1 day to longer form.
    Yes, the ODI teams were virtually the same as the Test ones. It amazes me to think of Boycott and Brearley opening for us in the final of the 1979 World Cup!
  • Sponsored links:

• Good to have some live cricket back on terrestrial cricket
  • Thats fantastic.
  • Thats fantastic.

It's great news. Particularly the test matches and highlights! Great that the BBC are chasing this.

As for the new T20 franchise competition unless something has changed since the last announcement only 8 of the 32 games will be on terrestrial tv which in my opinion is nothing more than a token gesture. They know where the money is and they will follow it.
  • edited June 2017
    Gary Ballance set to be included in the squad and expected to bat at 3 in the first test. Haseeb Hameed likely to be left out. Liam Dawson also recalled into the squad.

From the sounds of the article below the team will be:

Cook, Jennings, Ballance, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Ali, Wood, Broad, Anderson, Roland-Jones/Dawson

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/30/gary-ballance-test-recall-england-south-africa
  • I don't agree with Ballance being recalled. I also think that Dawson is a more negative choice than Crane or Rashid. I know that Crane is still young and inexperienced, but if you are good enough, you are old enough.
  • Crane isnt exactly pulling up trees for the lions right now, but his time will come
  • No live test cricket though