Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smallest away contingent you've been in?

edited February 2017 in General Charlton
After Fleetwood only brought 140 fans to The Valley yesterday, what tiny away supports have you been a part of?

(Discussion topic for tonight's show)

Comments

• Options

Cambridge away in the ZDS cup - can't have been much more than 80 away fans.

On non footballing occasions - @ElfsborgAddick invited all his friends to the ramblers rest before Christmas - 5 of us in total.

That comment will take your lol count to 20K.
  • Options
    I'm sure there will be a lot beating this, but was Forest away the season we stayed up under Riga, cousins with a late winner. Must have been about 150?
  • Options
    Away to FC Tervarit in Oulu Finland (pre-season friendly) I reckon there were 20 of us at the most. 4 of those in our group.

Remember a game at Grimsby when we ended up down to 9 men (Rufus and someone else sent off) where we had less than 100.
  • Options
    Away to Middlesbrough, think it was December 22 or 23rd 2006. I was living in Edinburgh at the time so wasn't too hard to get to for me but I think there was about 70-90 Charlton fans there
  • Options
    Oldham away in 85/86. Friday night about 70-80. Just after the announcement we were moving to Selhurst
  • Options
    Leeds 1 Charlton 2 in August 1985 there were 10,000 at the match but if felt like we had less than 50.........A few poor away turnouts around then pre the announcement to Selhurst or maybe the mind is playing tricks
  • Options

On non footballing occasions - @ElfsborgAddick invited all his friends to the ramblers rest before Christmas - 5 of us in total.

Went to penalties.?
  • Options
    EFL trophy at Col U this season.
  • Options

I only have aquaintances.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Burnley League Cup 1996, 2nd round 2nd leg. Was 4-1 up from the 1st leg and we were division higher than them so the tie was effectively dead.

Attendance was 64 away fans, load of the players comps were given out, I reckon me @Rock Spectacle and Colin Holland were the only ones to pay to get into the away end!
  • Options
    I went out to Sweden in 1989 to see us play Boras AIK in a pre-season friendly.

Apart from myself there was Syd Cheesewright and a lady with him.

Grand total of 3.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Was already working in Italy when I went to the Anglo-Italian cup tie away at Brescia (1993)

The total attendance was 1,174 but I think Charlton arrived with two coach-load of fans so maybe about the same or a few more than Cambridge away in the ZDS.

Slightly different but as an aside, I think I was the only Charlton supporter on the then empty away terrace at about 2.40pm at Maine Road on 11th May 1995 when the ground was otherwise full with about 47,000 Man City fans ready to celebrate their promotion to the old First Division.

Was greeted when emerging by over 40,000 singing "is that all you take away?"

Once again I was living close by whilst the official coaches and all other travelling fans had been delayed by serious accidents on the Motorways from London. More respectable showing when they turned up of course.
  • Options
    Agree re Boro', we were on our way to Scotland for Christmas.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    clb74 said:

Went to penalties.?
    Correct. If I remember correctly, Kim Grant and Steve Gatting missed for us.
  • Options
    Can't remember the year but probably a pre season friendly away at Roda
  • Options
    Think someone posted on here that they were the only Charlton fan at this season's pre-season away friendly in Austria in July v Russian Side Anzhi.

Can that really be true?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Away to Middlesbrough, think it was December 22 or 23rd 2006. I was living in Edinburgh at the time so wasn't too hard to get to for me but I think there was about 70-90 Charlton fans there

And it was blooming cold!
  • Options

clb74 said:

Went to penalties.?
    That's right grant took the 2nd and getting the 4th
    Funny thar with away crowds about 100 you'd think you'd know everyone.
    Otto was you a lot skinnier in them days,might be you've put on a lot of weight since then
  • Options
    Middlesbrough away 83-84....counted 27 of us of the terrace.

Newcastle away 1982-83....think there were 35.

Oldham away 84-85 (in the snow).....was defintely under 100.

In those days we couldn't even be guaranteed to take 1000 to Palace or QPR.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Went to penalties.?
    That's right grant took the 2nd and getting the 4th
    Funny thar with away crowds about 100 you'd think you'd know everyone.
    Otto was you a lot skinnier in them days,might be you've put on a lot of weight since then
    ive got more of a six pack these days - unfortunately it's cans of Stella.

I should imagine the little fella has had a free beer off of most of the away crowd that night
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Everton away in the full members cup in the 1980's. One coach (not full) and a few independents. Not too many scousers either. we won on Penalties then lost the final at the old Wembley to Blackburn.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Was already working in Italy when I went to the Anglo-Italian cup tie away at Brescia (1993)

The total attendance was 1,174 but I think Charlton arrived with two coach-load of fans so maybe about the same or a few more than Cambridge away in the ZDS.

Slightly different but as an aside, I think I was the only Charlton supporter on the then empty away terrace at about 2.40pm at Maine Road on 11th May 1995 when the ground was otherwise full with about 47,000 Man City fans ready to celebrate their promotion to the old First Division.

Once again I was living close by whilst the official coaches and all other travelling fans had been delayed by serious accidents on the Motorways from London. More respectable showing when they turned up of course.

Trains were delayed. We all got thee at half time (already 2-0 down) and had to pay full price to get in!
  • Options

1985 surely? Game with Lee Harmsworth in goal?
  • Options

Everton away in the full members cup in the 1908's. One coach (not full) and a few independents. Not too many scousers either. we won on Penalties then lost the final at the old Wembley to Blackburn.

I did not know the members cup had been going that long.........................
    Fixed :)
  • Options
    A couple of games spring to mind , Blackburn away , evening game in the snow in the 80's. Went by car as there was a rail strike and expected the game to be off. We won 2-0 and there must have been about 20 of us. Wrexham away a week after we had lost there 6-0 in the FA cup. We lost again but was there to witness Johnny Ostergaard 1 and only goal for the club , maybe 30 Charlton there
  • Options
    Silvertown Wesleyan's away. We win 6 - 1 but we only had 5 away fans.
  • Options
    one weekend away we were playing Newcastle away. Drove up to geordie land and stopped in Halifax on the Friday night. Halifax were playing Torquay that night so we went along. Both Halifax and Torquay were league clubs at the time. There must have been five men a dog in the away end at Shay Stadium.

I don't know if Halifax charged for the dog.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    LouisMend said:

After Fleetwood only brought 140 fans to The Valley yesterday, what tiny away supports have you been a part of?

(Discussion topic for tonight's show)

where were the other 90 hiding, I would have guessed the few in the corner numbered less than 50?