Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your first Superbowl

Only a day away now, just wondering about other lifers first Superbowl.
Mine was XX Bears 46 Patriots 10.
I was 14 and expressly forbidden to watch it as I was 14 & had school next day. My tv at the time was an old black & white with dials to tune in the channel & an indoor aerial that you had to move about to get the best picture. Had to watch it with no volume so my parents wouldn't hear. Happy days over to you fellow lifers.
Enjoy the game tomorrow & RISE UP!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Not a great American football fan to be honest but one game that sticks in the mind is when Walter Peyton (?spelling) was playing quarterback and I believe it was his team's first win. Don't even remember the year but a few years back now.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Not a great American football fan to be honest but one game that sticks in the mind is when Walter Peyton (?spelling) was playing quarterback and I believe it was his team's first win. Don't even remember the year but a few years back now.

I think you're referring to the above named game, Len, Bears and Patriots. That was also my first Superbowl but I had the hump cos my Dolphins had lost to the Patriots en route. We were the only team to beat the Bears that season.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Superbowl XX sir
  • Options
    I would think my first would have been XVIII on my 10th birthday but I don't remember it

First one I remember properly is XX, same as yours, starring my all time favourite player William Perry. Loved watching that guy
  • Options
    is still a long way off.
  • Options
    Don't see the point of American Football - constantly stop/start and lots of body armour just to go crashing in on the opposition.
    Would far rather watch Rugby Union if it's an egg-shaped ball in play.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Well I love it, when I was 10 (1978) my grandad bought me a radio (Solid state MW/LW I can still smell it) it came with a plug in earpiece blow up pillow (strange but true) and the channel I found and became addicted to was AMF America (Armed Forces Radio).

The NFL coverage just blew my little mind away, talk of blitzes, running backs and flags on the play. I was both confused and captivated.

Tom Landries Cowboys beat the Broncos with a bloke called Randy as the star.

I saw my first game at Wembley in 84 and have since found out this was no NFL at all but a substitute.

It will never replace Football in my life but I dont have to choose between the two so am very lucky. I have got NFL ST for London next year and cant wait.

Oh and tomorrow I will be hoping Atlanta pull it out the bag and have taken Monday off.
  • Options
    Ravens 49ers was the first one I took an interest in, about four years ago. That was when I was still trying to get to grips with the rules and wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

Didn't take any interest in the playoffs as a whole until 2015, then the following regular season.
  • Options
    Superbowl 16, World of Sport highlights 1982. We'd been to California for a holiday the year before and I'd spotted this strange sport on TV. Been a 49ers fan ever since.
  • Options
    I can remember the Super Bowl highlights on World of Sport in the 70s, involving Broadway Joe Namath. It was treated as a novelty item. There was no explanation of the rules, so most viewers wondered want was going on. It wasn't until Channel 4 picked it up in 1982 and they explained the ins and outs, that it became popular in the U.K. Teams popped up everywhere. I can remember going to the Rectory field to see a Greenwich or Kent team in about 1984 and the Streatham Olympians at the Crystal Palace Sports Centre.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worked in States for a number of years and my boss was a big Packers fan. He took me to Green Bay to see the Packers v Bears which was a big rivalry. Brilliant experience and atmosphere. Strange place though, Green Bay is a small town in the middle of nowhere and right slap bang in the middle of it is this huge stadium and one of the most prestigious teams in the NFL.

First Superbowl memory for me was Chicago Bears coached by Mike Ditka with The Refrigerator and Walter Payton in 1985. Was living in Chicago when Payton died at aged 45, he was an absolute legend there.

https://youtu.be/uM44FRAcLTM
  • Options
    Super bowl XVIII - 1984

Raiders V Redskins

Was thirteen and people at school had been talking about American Football and watching on channel 4.

Decided to tune in and see what the fuss was about. Chose the raiders to 'support' as liked the badge. They won, and I was hooked.

Will never be able to hear Two Tribes without thinking of channel fours weekly round up.
  • Options
    Went to XVII, Miami vs Redskins in Pasadena, don't remember much of the game (the game starts so late in the day, nothing to do but drink) except John Riggins' fourth and one touchdown, and freezing my ass off because somebody told me it would be warm in California in January. Redskins won of course. Followed the Redskins for years, until they got a really bad owner. There used to be a 15 year waiting list for season tickets, not any more. RD take note.
  • Options
    Redskins v Broncos sometime in the 80s. My last too. Shit sport.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Uboat said:

It's not a shit sport when you follow a local team and get to know the players. The game's been hijacked by the TV networks, 2 hours of commercials in a 1 hour game. It's a game of strategy and has to be followed closely to fully appreciate. I can understand why a casual observer wouldn't like it. Does make me laugh when they call 400lb linemen "athletes".
  • Options

Mine, too. The Bears had William "The Fridge" Perry if my memory serves.

That seems an awfully long time ago now. Probably because it is!
  • Options
    1982, 49ers 26-21 Bengals.
    Montana-MVP
    Diana Ross sung the national anthem.
    Cost of a 30 second commercial was £324k. In 2016 it was £5.01 million.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Super Bowl XI.........Jan 9th1977.
    Raiders V Vikings.
    I had been a Raiders fan since I lived in Palo Alto in the early 70's.
    I watched the game(on a live link) at the Odeon Leicester Square and sat next to the one and only Terry Downes, who was also a Raiders fan.
    Raiders won.....32-14. Their first of three Super Bowl victories!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    limeygent said:

Uboat said:

It's not a shit sport when you follow a local team and get to know the players. The game's been hijacked by the TV networks, 2 hours of commercials in a 1 hour game. It's a game of strategy and has to be followed closely to fully appreciate. I can understand why a casual observer wouldn't like it. Does make me laugh when they call 400lb linemen "athletes".
    I also love the game, it's almost like a game of chess but with human beings (or semi human beings to be precise) as the pieces.....but even I wince when they call the Super Bowl winners "World Champions"......I mean to say, who else really plays the game, all a bit presumptuous if you ask me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the first one that I bothered to watch was in 2009 when bruce springsteen was the halftime show.

it was when this bloke caught the ball just outside his own touchdown area and rang the length of the pitch to score a touchdown. the commentator was screaming it was one of the best touchdowns in super bowl history. after hearing that I knew the sport was not for me.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Forget the superbowl, what's going on with the white leotard and corgi?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    ads said:

shine166 said:

Forget the superbowl, what's going on with the white leotard and corgi?
    Two things wrong with your post......one, it ain't a leotard and two, that ain't a Corgi.......but nonetheless I very much agree with your justifiable concerns.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Following my earlier post, I wonder how many of you remember or indeed have even heard of Terry Downes?
  • Options

Don't see the point of American Football - constantly stop/start and lots of body armour just to go crashing in on the opposition.

Modern Rugby Union is poncey as hell
  • Options

I was 14 and expressly forbidden to watch it as I was 14 & had school next day. My tv at the time was an old black & white with dials to tune in the channel & an indoor aerial that you had to move about to get the best picture. Had to watch it with no volume so my parents wouldn't hear. Happy days over to you fellow lifers.

That was mine as well.
    It was when channel 4 first started showing matches and I had adopted the patriots purely because they had 'england' in their name.
    They broke all kinds of Super Bowl records like heaviest defeat etc.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

That's why we had five players unavailable yesterday.....and I believe I'm right in saying most of the injuries were done in training.
    Would you mind explaining exactly why you hold this view, as I completely disagree.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Really??

I'd love to see a man call someone like Dan Cole ponsey!!

The hits are huge - although granted not as hard as some hits in AF. The big difference is that the hits are frequent in RU and there's no protection. All of the Americans I know would bow to the argument that RU is the superior game.
  • Options
    This may not be the right thread but how did you come to support/follow a specific team?

I've started watching a lot more NFL over the last couple years and went to Wembley this year to watch my first live game. But I have no team I have any kind of affiliation to. I want to have a favourite so it makes it more interesting but have no idea who to pick or why.
  • Options
    First Superbowl would have been a late 80's game with the 49ers. I was a fan of Joe Montana. When Joe moved to Kansas I followed and began to support them.
    I had a friend who played in a local league (woolwich?) and I'd help him get his NFL fix by playing on the Sega Megadrive.
    I liked the Chiefs because they were generally under dogs and under appreciated. Nothing much as changed.