Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matt Holland, what has he ever done for us?

So as not to highjack another thread can anyone explain how he was a decent player? Came with a rep as a box to box midfielder but got about 2 goals a season. Didn't tackle or close down effectively. Few assists. Did a good wavey thing to gee up the fans. As captain presided over a rare dressing room fracture between young and old. Cleanshorts is an observation as well as a critisism. Please advise what he was good at? As a pundit, does he ever romanticice his six years spent at the Valley, many as captain? No. Does he give a toss about our plight? No.

Comments

• What was the dressing room split? I was a bit young to take in details so don't know anything about it.

Again I was young but I thought he was a decent player.
  • He kicked the ball over the East stand once - the only player I can remember doing that.
  • He kicked the ball over the East stand once - the only player I can remember doing that.

I remember Kish getting one into the north upper. That impressed me. Not many other football moments I remember from those early days as a Charlton fan.
  • (well, the Middlesbrough one was a floaty chip, but a ripper of one, y'know)
  • Sponsored links:

I remember Kish getting one into the north upper. That impressed me. Not many other football moments I remember from those early days as a Charlton fan.
    Some older posters will remember as I'm not sure, but either Mathews or Tocknell in the 60's cleared the stand from a penalty once.
  • Scored some absolute belters
  • He had one great season when he largely played on the right ahead of Kish- Luke Young was injured . He was quite an ordinary footballer but a first class guy
  • You're joking . loved matty Holland .
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2017

He kicked the ball over the East stand once - the only player I can remember doing that.

We've had a few of those down the years John Hewie (500+ appearances and Scottish international) was pretty adept at it over the old West stand:wink:
    Back on thread thought Matty Holland did a solid job for us I had no issues with him and shouldn't even be mentioned in the worst players for us category.
  • I live in Tractor Boy country, they idolised him here. Loved it when he played for us, great days. His heart though is very much with Ipswich.

• Yeah, him and the Romans - what have they ever done for us.

• Passion, example, leadership. What a strange question.
  • I thought Matty was a fantastic player and skipper for us.

Cog in the wheel springs to mind

Someone or something that is functionally necessary but of small significance or importance within a larger operation or organization.
  • Matty, one of the best. I rate him along with Kinsella and Graham Stuart as the best mid-fielders during our Premiership years.
  • @harveys gardener What a disgraceful thread to start. Was you bored, or just wanted your name in lights ?
    Matty was a Hero.... End of.