Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Extraordinary goal scoring record for a midfielder.

29 in 106 at international level too.
  • Wasn't a fan of Lampard in his younger days but seemed to really turn that around. Cracking player regardless.
  • Doubt we'll ever see an Attacking Midfielder scoring so many goals like he did for Chelsea

Just like Johnnie Jackson for us, he always knew when to pop up at the right time in the box
  • Doubt we'll ever see an Attacking Midfielder scoring so many goals like he did for Chelsea

Just like Johnnie Jackson for us, he always knew when to pop up at the right time in the box

It's the sort of skill that looks easy...except that most players can't do it!

Checking the records of another goalscoring midfielder, Martin Peters in his league career scored 175 goals in 724 league games
  • Scott Carson made a peach of a penalty save from him against them at Stamford Bridge when we were very unlucky to lose 2-1

Great servant of the English game and we'll thought of by a lot of professionals. Excellent attitude
  • ridiculous scoring record for a midfielder.

nice bloke as well
  • how many of the "golden generation" are left?
  • Carter said:

Scott Carson made a peach of a penalty save from him against them at Stamford Bridge when we were very unlucky to lose 2-1

Great servant of the English game and we'll thought of by a lot of professionals. Excellent attitude

Was that the save where Hasselbaink is standing right behind Lampard frantically telling Scott which way to dive?
  • Sponsored links:

John Terry and Ashley Cole (if you include LA Galaxy). That's it I think.
  • Carter said:

Scott Carson made a peach of a penalty save from him against them at Stamford Bridge when we were very unlucky to lose 2-1

Was that the save where Hasselbaink is standing right behind Lampard frantically telling Scott which way to dive?
    Yes it was haha, I forgot about that. He scored that day and the Chelsea fans made more noise for him scoring against them than they did for the entire 90 minutes. We had a goal from Marcus bent disallowed (I think) that was never in a million years offside
  • se9addick said:

Lampard > Gerrard for me

For the last 5 years of Gerrard's career definitely, but before then not so clear cut.
  • bobmunro said:

how many of the "golden generation" are left?

Who was meant to be the keeper?

Robinson is at Burnley and Green at Leeds and they are about the right age for the golden generation
  • Carter said:

Carter said:

Yes it was haha, I forgot about that. He scored that day and the Chelsea fans made more noise for him scoring against them than they did for the entire 90 minutes. We had a goal from Marcus bent disallowed (I think) that was never in a million years offside
    Yeah thats right... We'd have gone 2-1 up as well I think had that stood

One of the many games at the beginning of his Charlton career where Diawara constantly got cramp
  • edited February 2017

bobmunro said:

Robinson is at Burnley and Green at Leeds and they are about the right age for the golden generation
    Not sure either were considered part of the Golden Generation. For me it was Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen, Rooney, Rio, Sol, Terry, Neville (G), Cole.

Keeper first choice was Seaman at the end of his career, followed by Robinson.
  • bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Not sure either were considered part of the Golden Generation. For me it was Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen, Rooney, Rio, Sol, Terry, Neville (G), Cole.
    No wonder England haven't won anything since 66 if they are playing without a keeper!
  • bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

No wonder England haven't won anything since 66 if they are playing without a keeper!
    When people talk of the imperious Brazil side of 1970 they rarely mention Felix!!
  • bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Keeper first choice was Seaman at the end of his career, followed by Robinson.
    David James?
  • Sponsored links:

Hardly golden - did they ever win anything at international level and at club level the European record showed a decline from the days when we used to win every year.
  • sm said:

Hardly golden - did they ever win anything at international level and at club level the European record showed a decline from the days when we used to win every year.
    Adam Crozier came up with the phrase I think - the FA have never been known for their wisdom!
  • I've always thought Frank was an averagely-talented player who had something most players don't get - opportunity. And instead of taking that for granted, he worked incredibly hard to improve his technique and rise above the rest, becoming one of the most consistent PL players of all time.

And even though he keeps what I consider to be questionable company, he seems to be a thoroughly nice, intelligent bloke (he really won me over when he called that radio presenter out).

I hope he chooses coaching over media, but either way, I suspect he'll be pretty good at whatever he does next.
  • sm said:

Plus the one negative point about Frank's retirement is that he'll join the rest of our retired Golden Generation in slating the current crop of England players whenever they fail to live up to any kind of hype.
  • sm said:

Plus the one negative point about Frank's retirement is that he'll join the rest of our retired Golden Generation in slating the current crop of England players whenever they fail to live up to any kind of hype.
    To be fair to the 'golden generation', they did achieve more than we are getting now. We busted them for not winning anything, but getting to the Quarters would seem like a dream tournament these days. They were unlucky to lose several times, and were rarely humiliated (2008 notwithstanding).
  • JiMMy 85 said:

sm said:

To be fair to the 'golden generation', they did achieve more than we are getting now. We busted them for not winning anything, but getting to the Quarters would seem like a dream tournament these days. They were unlucky to lose several times, and were rarely humiliated (2008 notwithstanding).
    But they still flopped and failed...

They're regarded as our best crop of players since '66 so should be getting further than our current crop.
  • I like Lampard.

When he was on fire at Chelsea I didn't like him at all. That kind of things expected though.
    I hate Chelsea.

I think he would make a good youth/under 21 coach.

• Always rated him for going round picking the Chelsea players up after they lost the Champions League final against Man Utd, rather than standing in the centre circle crying like his Captain did.
  • West Ham boy who used to coach my eldest son in his spare time for no payment .. by far my favourite player of the past 15 or so years even though he really made his name at Chelsea .. dedicated and made use of every ounce of ability that he had .. goal scoring machine from midfield ..
    pity that he had the very talented but whinging scouser Gerrard as his England midfield 'partner' .. seems to me that they never got on and the English team suffered as a consequence
  • Golden generation =Great underachievers