Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

El Hadji Ba contract terminated and Muldoon released

Another success with Ba. Wonder how much that cost to pay up with 15 months to run

Shame Muldoon never kicked on.

Comments

• The crazy world of Roland.
  • Tough for Muldoon
  • I'll always remember Muldoon's free-kick injury time winner against Spurs in the Youth Cup, a minute after Spurs had missed from a similar position. And it wasn't his only free-kick goal. He had plenty of potential then, but that's only part of the story, and I've no idea why he hasn't kicked on.
  • It does concern that me that Charlton academy players may be given professional contracts because Roland has a requirement for youth team players to make the squad. Daisy bangs on about her 'youth pipeline' stats being so much better than average but to me, outlier stats suggest spectacular success (rare) or failure (extremely common!).

Daisy dishing out contracts to all and sundry is a waste of money and not fair on players who may be given one to make up her numbers and meet Roland's arbitrary targets, who then get cut when the books don't balance (again!)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2017
  • Missed It said:

It does concern that me that Charlton academy players may be given professional contracts because Roland has a requirement for youth team players to make the squad.

If I remember correctly, I heard a few months ago that when Slade joined he was told by Roland that 6 out of the starting 11 had to be home grown / from the academy.

• So, @Henry Irving, when will we get the chance to vote for Ba to be added to the pantheon of Charlton greats???

Part of me thinks that we should make a special Razzies type award for memorable players brought in by the regime. Some of them might even have played...
  • Missed It said:

It does concern that me that Charlton academy players may be given professional contracts because Roland has a requirement for youth team players to make the squad. Daisy bangs on about her 'youth pipeline' stats being so much better than average but to me, outlier stats suggest spectacular success (rare) or failure (extremely common!).

Daisy dishing out contracts to all and sundry is a waste of money and not fair on players who may be given one to make up her numbers and meet Roland's arbitrary targets, who then get cut when the books don't balance (again!)

Don't think that is fair.

There will always been more players who don't make it than those that do and has been the way at Charlton for many years if you look back at the youth teams.

Keeping players on at 16 and 18 gives them time to develop. not all kids are ready at 18.

There is also the factor of being able to field an U18 and U23 side so we need a squad of players to cover all positions. Lookman, Aribo and Konsa needed other U18s and U23s alongside them to develop. Maybe harsh on those other players but they are playing and being paid to play football and might make it elsewhere.

I take your point but I still get the uneasy feeling, as AFKABartram points out above, Charlton policy is for a certain number of youth players to be in the squad. If people are there to meet quotas and not on merit then its an issue.
  • Disgusting how Ba was treated by the fans, he'll prove us all wrong now. He was one of our own. Hang on, who?
  • Remember that Daisy not only gives out contracts willy nilly to youth players, but that they are long term too (Charles-Cook 5 year deal for example)
  • Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 9m9 minutes ago
    More
    #cafc announced El-Hadji Ba contract termination today but was sorted yesterday, so he can sign for another club outside the window.
  • Sponsored links:

• Missed It said:

It does concern that me that Charlton academy players may be given professional contracts because Roland has a requirement for youth team players to make the squad.

If I remember correctly, I heard a few months ago that when Slade joined he was told by Roland that 6 out of the starting 11 had to be home grown / from the academy.

Was told a very similar thing by someone well respected on here
  • Some player make it, some don't. It's always a worry if (like Muldoon) each loan spell is at a lower level than the previous one, when you'd hope the pattern would be in the other direction

Piggott's career since leaving us is showing a similar downward pattern
  • Missed It said:

It does concern that me that Charlton academy players may be given professional contracts because Roland has a requirement for youth team players to make the squad. Daisy bangs on about her 'youth pipeline' stats being so much better than average but to me, outlier stats suggest spectacular success (rare) or failure (extremely common!).

There will always been more players who don't make it than those that do and has been the way at Charlton for many years if you look back at the youth teams.

Keeping players on at 16 and 18 gives them time to develop. not all kids are ready at 18.

There is also the factor of being able to field an U18 and U23 side so we need a squad of players to cover all positions. Lookman, Aribo and Konsa needed other U18s and U23s alongside them to develop. Maybe harsh on those other players but they are playing and being paid to play football and might make it elsewhere.
    The length of the contracts in combination with the number is the issue.
  • What's Ba on? Very minimum 7k, max 15?

7 x 65 weeks = £455'000 paid off, plus the previous 18 months of £546'000.

So that is £1 million directly down the toilet (and extra we owe Staprix), minimum!
  • Missed It said:

@AFKABartram, did you hear it from a reliable source or was it just gossip?
  • RedPanda said:

What's Ba on? Very minimum 7k, max 15?

7 x 65 weeks = £455'000 paid off, plus the previous 18 months of £546'000.

So that is £1 million directly down the toilet (and extra we owe Staprix), minimum!

I'd be VERY surprised if he was on anywhere near that much to be honest.
  • don't know how many appearances he made but what a waste of the (undisclosed) fee
  • edited February 2017

Missed It said:

The length of the contracts in combination with the number is the issue.
    It's a balancing act Meire has often got wrong and quite possibly with the potential transfer fee in mind but it will always be a calculated risk to offer an 18 year old a deal.

Too short and he walks on a free or tribunal after a year or two, too long and he's hanging about for five years without starting in the first team.

I'd rather the club gave young players a year too much than a year too little as we need to hang onto the good ones both to raise income (which we've always done) and to play in the first team.

The problem with this regime, among many, is they focus on the former too much and the latter not enough.
  • Home grown academy players tend to be on relatively low wages anyway until they break through

The Bosman rule etc has made things much harder for smaller clubs with academies. You can easily lose players for a pittance after nurturing them for over 10 years.