Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stephy Mavididi signs on loan (First time)

Comments

• Options
    Let's give the kid a chance
  • Options
    Back to Swindon to save on payments
  • Options

wonderful news about ajose. This guy can only be better and who knows....he could even be fantastic.

He is 18 years old and completely untested at this level. There is an equal chance that he could be completely shite.

Is that what you said when lookman made his league debut as a 18 year old
  • Options
    Not so much a marquee signing as a one person throw-up tent.
  • Options
    Fair play. Good luck to him. When I was 18 I was mainly concerned with wanking and playing FIFA. Same with most of you lot I guess (or doing whatever the generational equivalent is - wanking and playing Subbuteo?).

I'm not gonna pan him, because I remember being 18 and being excitable and impressionable and in fairness not knowing what the fuck I was doing with my life, so all credit. If he's good enough - great. If he's not - fair enough, it didn't work out.
  • Options
    welcome Stephy .. can't see you getting a lot of game time ... can't find the original by the Exciters .. so here's one time Blackheath resident Manfred and his Men
    https://youtu.be/43vOAw2sAFU
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Fair play. Good luck to him. When I was 18 I was mainly concerned with wanking and playing FIFA. Same with most of you lot I guess (or doing whatever the generational equivalent is - wanking and playing Subbuteo?).

I'm not gonna pan him, because I remember being 18 and being excitable and impressionable and in fairness not knowing what the fuck I was doing with my life, so all credit. If he's good enough - great. If he's not - fair enough, it didn't work out.

Bloody cheek. I did not play subbuteo !

Me and my mates did. Subuteo Leagues, the lot.
    Really competitive.

We'd given up trainspotting once the steam engines were taken off.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

msomerton said:

If he performs as well as Coquelin did for us then I will be pleased with him.

Coquelin was absolute class. I remember being in the pub after the Ipswich game a couple years ago and we were all talking about hoping he'd really enjoy his time here, and that given he didn't seem to have a future at Arsenal maybe he'd sign permanently for us in January. I think he was back to Arsenal a couple days later and was runnin tings against City on the Saturday.

I think this is a decent signing. Little risk, high reward. Attacking player who can play through the middle or out wide, which is what we need. Gives us some depth up front. As I said in the transfer rumour thread, he's going to be the third choice center forward, possibly fourth choice if Watt continues to be an option there. Given we play with one striker, I think it's a good role for a talented 18-year-old who can also play out wide.

It also allows the likes of Hanlan/Umerah to go out/stay out on loan and get the senior football they desperately need--he provides cover while Umerah/Hanlan get experience of regular football which they woudn't get staying here. Given Stephy's scoring record at the top U-23 level, I suspect he's got more about him than either of those two or KAG at the moment, so an upgrade on what we have if taken from that perspective.

Given Ajose is out the door, will be interesting to see if that's freed up any money for one more in. That said, we're in a place where we need quality, not quantity. That is hard to find in January unless you're willing to pay over the odds.

My guess at our first team whenever everyone is fit:
    .................Rudd
    Solly....Bauer....Tex...Chicksen
    ..........Crofts....JFC
    Byrne........Watt......Holmes
    .................Mag

Phillips, Konsa, Price, Ulvestad, Aribo, Malvididi, Novak

Not included: Lennon, RoJo, DaSilva, JJ, RCC, KAG

*could easily replace Aribo with Watt or Price with Chicksen, but you get the point. Konsa is also unlucky to miss out.

That's a team that should be going on a run in the second half of the season, and breaking into that matchday 18 will take some quality. Whisper it, nut we're close to having an actual squad
    We're close to having a temporary squad.

Six players from our Squad will be easily gone come the summer because their loans will end, not to mention the obligatory selling of players to balance books so again in the summer we'll be forced into a rebuilding phase instead of just having to strengthen an area or two!!
    Of the starting 11 mentioned 2 loans, one of which will be available with a replacement on the bench.

Will need to strengthen squad improving team if in higher division.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Stephy M may well be a good signing, but the fact that the regime brought in Ajose with a great fanfare in the summer and are now loaning him back to the very same club is ludicrous.

They just don't seem to realise that players need to be able to work together - all they do is bring in bodies, based on statistics and hope they'll fit together.

Numbers never let you down. If the humans fail, it's their fault not that of the methodology.

Nah, just kidding, the above post is spot on and the main thing that Roland and his goons missed and continue to miss.

You can judge players to be good or bad by whatever measure, but to build a team that works you need the RIGHT players. The algorithms required to have identify qualities as subjective as that have yet to be developed.

If such algorithms are ever developed, you can guarantee that a pubescent streak of piss from Limburg will still be barking up the wrong tree in front of a laptop somewhere

• Options
    Daggs said:

Not so much a marquee signing as a one person throw-up tent.

Just what you need if you feel sick.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Hope he does well and Arsenal loans generally been good to us. I still cannot understand replacing Ajose with an 18 year old.

This for me. No need to read any other posts, Seems a daft idea & if you are going to replace a strier then why not go for experience, Both Le Fondre & Makaill Smith have moved on loan today - surely they would have been a better bet.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

According to his interview on OS, he was first told in the summer we were interested in him, so not a KR signing then

Yeah I noticed and thought that but then he went on to say there was interest in January from Charlton whereas in the summer he didnt mention us as a club.

Wonder if he meant there were simply interested parties back then
  • Options
    ross1 said:

According to his interview on OS, he was first told in the summer we were interested in him, so not a KR signing then

that was the thing with Slade (presumably) .. a right good eye for a player, especially a forward, but when he signed them he was clueless as to how to get the best from them
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Hope he does well and Arsenal loans generally been good to us. I still cannot understand replacing Ajose with an 18 year old.

This for me. No need to read any other posts, Seems a daft idea & if you are going to replace a strier then why not go for experience, Both Le Fondre & Makaill Smith have moved on loan today - surely they would have been a better bet.
    I said earlier in the thread, I reckon the Arsenal lad is here to replace Lookman.
    Able to run with the ball and stretch defences. And score goals.

Watt already seemed to have taken Ajose's place in the squad.

• Options
    He looks freezing cold!
  • Options

Must just be me then that thinks it's a good signing

Based on what ? Genuine question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

colthe3rd said:

Le Fondre maybe but Mackail-Smith is odd... He's barely played for Luton this season so to step up a higher Division is strange
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

PaddyP17 said:

Me and my mates did. Subuteo Leagues, the lot.
    Really competitive.

We'd given up trainspotting once the steam engines were taken off.

Wanker.

• Options

colthe3rd said:

Le Fondre maybe but Mackail-Smith is odd... He's barely played for Luton this season so to step up a higher Division is strange
    CMS made his name at Posh. And his old teammate Grant McCann is in charge.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

But Mackail-Smith is going home. He was a star at Peterboro before.
    He scored a lot of goals there.

• Options
    Another player with limited playing time at any professional level.

Nothing will ever change with these clowns.

Allowing for another 4 1/2 hours of the window I reckon tomorrow the scouser will be scratching his head for some rubbish to blabber at the next press conference saying how hard it is to attract players blah bah blah.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

hopefully you weren't playing with your Action man.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

hopefully you weren't playing with your Action man.
    Actually, just like Oggy I too played Subbuteo (leagues the lot) it was just for comic effect I said I didn't.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Or countless others with experience, not untried youngsters.
  • Options
    I can see him playing as one of the inside forwards in Karl's 4231. Obviously behind Byrne and Holmes in the pecking order but could be a decent option from the bench/ rotation...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Seriously, I suppose he's our Lookman replacement.

Well, for the rest of this season, anyway.

Wasn't that Dasilva?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!