Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Congratulations Lincoln

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Funny how one silly occurence can turn you against something. 

We had a debate on a football forum about what was the most memorable giant killing of all time. Many games were suggested and one Lincoln fan insisted that their cup run of 2017 was the greatest. It was pointed out that the subject was individual matches, but he still persisted. Along with the rounds 3 and 4 victories, he cited their 5th round win against Burnley, to which others pointed at Sutton's win against Leeds in the same round. While Burnley were top flight, and Leeds second tier at the time, the perception was that Leeds were a bigger scalp, rightly or wrongly. Luton's win at Norwich in 2013 was also mentioned, as the first time a non-league club had won away at a top flight team. This bloke just persisted, and when a fellow Lincoln fan agreed... well that was proof positive of course, nothing was going to persuade him that any other suggestion could be considered. 

He actually got quite nasty with some people who disagreed with him.

Since then my previously neutral feelings towards the boys from Sincil Bank have been rather swayed to the negative.   

So my congratulations are reserved for everyone else except that pillock. :D          
  • Options
    At least I can get the bus to Lincoln. Best part of a 2.5 hour drive to the Valley. 
  • Options

We had a debate on a football forum about what was the most memorable giant killing of all time. Many games were suggested and one Lincoln fan insisted that their cup run of 2017 was the greatest. It was pointed out that the subject was individual matches, but he still persisted. Along with the rounds 3 and 4 victories, he cited their 5th round win against Burnley, to which others pointed at Sutton's win against Leeds in the same round. While Burnley were top flight, and Leeds second tier at the time, the perception was that Leeds were a bigger scalp, rightly or wrongly. Luton's win at Norwich in 2013 was also mentioned, as the first time a non-league club had won away at a top flight team. This bloke just persisted, and when a fellow Lincoln fan agreed... well that was proof positive of course, nothing was going to persuade him that any other suggestion could be considered. 

Since then my previously neutral feelings towards the boys from Sincil Bank have been rather swayed to the negative.   

I'd have to agree that Lincoln winning away to premier league Burnley is a bigger achievement than Sutton winning at home to championship Leeds
  • Options

I'd have to agree that Lincoln winning away to premier league Burnley is a bigger achievement than Sutton winning at home to championship Leeds
    Agreed.

No wonder the bloke was getting annoyed.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Point missed, obviously... (rolling eyes emoji) . 
  • Options
    Leeds is only the bigger prospect because of their "fan base"

Whilst it helps a bunch of fans singing on the sidelines shouldnt be the over riding factor in winning games and the fact that Leeds havent been a Premier League club for 12-years (compared to Burnley's three various years at that level in that time) means they wont have the resources to make them the bigger achievement than their win over Burnley

I know Bielsa is a great Manager and really hoping we see him in the Premier League next year (as no guarantee that Leeds are promoted yet), but fully expecting Leeds fans to go up with the opinion that they'll be returning with the same squad ability than the one that left all those years ago with next season being a foregone conclusion on their route to having a season similar to that of Wolves this term - As it is I wont be surprised if their season is actually akin to the one that Fulham have had this year
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    No, I got it. You all wound him up, he bit, now you don’t like his club.

Plenty of belligerent folk from Lincoln. Same as everywhere else - particularly in small towns up north.
  • Options
    Went to Lincoln for a pre-season friendly around '87 and not been back since.

Assuming we do not go up I look forward to going back there, a pleasant little place.
  • Options
    No Dave, the points were, A ) I am a bit of a dick for thinking that way. B ) No one was winding anyone up, there were loads of matches up for discussion but he would not even countenance any other opinion (the two I mention were just recent examples) C ) He got nasty when others (not just me) would not go along with his blinkered view. And I finished by saying, congrats to all, except him, trying, clearly unsuccessfully to convey that I had got over my prejudice.