Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jury Service

Got my FIFTH jury summons today. Anyone else had this amount?
I must have an honest face.

Comments

• Been summoned 3 times. Last occasion around 10 years ago.
  • Been summoned 3 times as well but have never had to do it
  • Four in total. Only did three as one was within six months of the last one and could turn it down.
  • Put a black cloth on your head.
  • As Alan Brazil would say, never been.
  • I've never been called up for jury service. I suspect that if I was called up now the defendants would turn me down as I look too much like an old git.
  • been called up twice both times got off of it as boss wrote a letter saying as were a small business it would impact too much.
  • I got called up about 20 years ago. Was more than happy to do it but rang them as no food was allowed in the court. Explained that I was diabetic and that I might have to eat something if my sugar levels started to drop. Made it quite clear I was happy to do it but received a letter a week later saying I had been excused. Never been asked since. My wife's step mum was in the group for the Rose West trial. They whittled it down from about 50 to the final 12. She made it to the last selection stage and to her great relief, was cut
  • I've been called up 3 times too. It's odd how some people have done it multiple times, and others not at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Done it once.

Horrendous case and never want to do it again.
  • Called up once never had a case. Ended up out of pocket because of childcare, but not massively. There's someone I work with who gets called up all the time. My other half has never had it happen.
  • Done it once.
    One week of sitting around waiting to be called and 4 days of a trial.

The defendant used to sit on his motorbike outside of the court each morning and say 'good morning' to each of the jurors as we walked in.
  • Fortunately after the last case I sat on which lasted 184 days, the judge said we could all be excused if called upon again. I'm hoping the system is joined up enough for that to be the case.

• Been called 4 times. Only actually did it once. Got out of the last one due to loss of earnings.
  • WSSWSS
    edited January 2017
    Did it for the full two weeks last year (my second time) at Woolwich Crown Court.

Interesting but very disturbing case. Girl and boy (15 and 13 respectively at time of incidents). Boy up for four charges of sexual assault and two of rape.

The whole process restored a bit of faith in the justice system from my point of view in the way the judge, lawyers and fellow jurors acted.
  • Was that the one where Barbara Windsor was called in as a witness?
  • Sponsored links:

• I got called up about 20 years ago. Was more than happy to do it but rang them as no food was allowed in the court. Explained that I was diabetic and that I might have to eat something if my sugar levels started to drop. Made it quite clear I was happy to do it but received a letter a week later saying I had been excused. Never been asked since. My wife's step mum was in the group for the Rose West trial. They whittled it down from about 50 to the final 12. She made it to the last selection stage and to her great relief, was cut

Pretty easy decision that one though I suspect!
  • Never been called, can't decide if I think it sounds interesting or if it would be a lot of waiting about being bored.
  • Never been called, can't decide if I think it sounds interesting or if it would be a lot of waiting about being bored.

Always going to depend on the case you get. Mine was interested but because of the ages and circumstances of the people involved we had to break for 15 minutes every 35 minutes so it dragged.

We spent two and a half days coming to our six verdicts - that's tough because you can't leave the room, go for lunch, have a phone etc.

Interesting if you get a good case. Boring as arseholes if not - or even worse don't get called for any case.

Both. Lots of waiting but interesting when you get a case.

Done it three times, said no for the fourth, all at different addresses.

• Done it once, had 2 cases, was foreman for one. Went for a few meals/pub with most of the first jury as we all got on well so that was good. Really enjoyed the whole experience.
  • WSS said:

Was that the one where Barbara Windsor was called in as a witness?
    Yes, she was a character witness on account of his younger brother Reggie once kicked her back doors in.
  • Nah, the GF is a probation officer.. so itd probably be a conflict of interest
  • WSS said:

Did it for the full two weeks last year (my second time) at Woolwich Crown Court.

Interesting but very disturbing case. Girl and boy (15 and 13 respectively at time of incidents). Boy up for four charges of sexual assault and two of rape.

The whole process restored a bit of faith in the justice system from my point of view in the way the judge, lawyers and fellow jurors acted.

I had the opposite experience, hence me suggesting professional, retained juries. One said he'd just vote with the majority, another couple kept asking others to make their minds up because they wanted to go home. Luckily there were a few of us on there to ensure they eventually realised we were not going to reach a quick decision to appease them and that they needed to take their duties seriously.

I too had a rape case, young boy met a guy on line, then in person at a park where he agreed to go back to the guy's house and was then subjected to an assault leading to rape. Was satisfying to send him down.
  • Done it twice and loved it both times.