Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Buying a new car

So likely to be buying a used approved second hand car from a dealer. It's been years since I bought a new car! As the person who generally ends up paying over the odds for everything, does anyone have any top tips on how to negotiate a good deal?!

Comments

• So likely to be buying a used approved second hand car from a dealer. It's been years since I bought a new car! As the person who generally ends up paying over the odds for everything, does anyone have any top tips on how to negotiate a good deal?!

Whatever model you choose, find out what it's direct rival model is. Find the lowest-price one of those. When it comes to closing the deal on the car you've chosen, tell the guy you're trying to choose between the car he's selling and this other one.

It worked for me once - I got a further £500 off.
  • Cash is king - offer a ridiculous price first if buying with cash
  • I agree about playing one off against another.
    New registrations on 1st March makes dealers anxious to sell now, and if new new then doing the deal just before the end of February gets a good price.In5erest free credit is a great thing.
    For example one dealer said I wouldn't get lower than £14300, in an hour I got an offer elsewhere for £13500.
    They will offer a poor trade in, webuyanycar will quote higher, you can use that quote to bump up the trade in.
    Good luck.
  • Think about whether buying is the best option. Before you start talking figures, go for the best spec version the car comes in and load the car up with any extras you want but which don't come as standard. Have another similar type car in mind and refer to that and the deals that are being offered on it and mention that for comparison. If you are trading in, 'give a dog a bone', tell them you don't care about the figure they value your car at, that you are only interested in the net figure you have to pay. Keep your phone in your hand and visible to the salesman. Wave it around a bit every now and then to see if his eyes follow its movement. Check the prices being quoted for the car you are buying so you have a rough idea of how close the figure being offered to you is. Wave the page at him if his price is a lot higher. It's a negotiation process, they give you a figure, you give them one back, eventually you get a final figure. Then ask them what other extras they can offer you. Finally, if the figure suits your pocket, be prepared to accept it, if it's not, walk away.
  • Definitely look on drivethedeal.com
  • If it's an approved used car dealer they will be under pressure to sign you up to finance. This isn't a bad thing as with the world being so connected now you can get a load of loan quotes for the same amount, take screen shots if you need and show them. Also the later you go to the dealers, as in the closer to closing time you are more likely to get a deal on both the price and the APR of the finance. They won't want you walking out the door without signing something and if the car is decent. Which most used approved ones are, you should still demand a test drive. Insist they clean it, ask for a tank of fuel and 2 keys. You may not get all of these but at the least go over it with a finetooth comb and if there are any imperfections insist they get sorted too.

You don't need an extended warrantee or any of the other shit they will try and up sell you.

What car is it and where are you going to buy it?

Nearly new is the way to go. Especially if it is for you to use and not for work.

Lots of value to be had in VW passatt, BMW 5 series which a lot of the big supermarket places love buying in bulk so will already be a lot cheaper than buying from a smaller dealer or privately. Amd don't feel pressured into trading your car in for peanuts used cars sell at an astounding rate of course it depends what you are trading in

• Great tips here.
    Bookmark
  • Always be prepared to walk away, there's always a very close match if not exactly the same model elsewhere.
  • edited January 2017
    Car Giant.

Bought our last 3 cars from them and all 3 have been excellent.

No pressure sales. They move cars in such large numbers that they work within very small profit margins. Equivalent cars on a dealer forecourt are often much more expensive.

The Seat Leon we bought 2 years ago was £7999 at Car Giant and an identical model at the Sidcup dealership was £9750 - they wouldn't move on that price either.
  • Thanks everyone, really helpful. I will update you all later to explain how I managed to spend more than the initial asking price and end up with fewer add ons!
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks everyone, really helpful. I will update you all later to explain how I managed to spend more than the initial asking price and end up with fewer add ons!

Have you been advising KM on signing players by any chance? :-)
  • Got no offers so I sold a car last year to a car supermarket chain for £250 less than I had it advertised privately and £300 better than Webuyanycar. Considering they had to refurbish a couple of alloys, polish it up and get an AA report it was advertised at £1,100 more than they gave me. They must allow room for a deal and that tells me the margins are not that great if they rely on quick turnover so the deal you get is probably more related to the type of dealer. Doubt if they make much more than £300 a car in the mass market range, allowing for overheads.
  • If you're thinking of leasing you want the Karl Robinson on TalkSPORT thread
  • edited January 2017
    Tunbridge Wells is the nearest town to my home. The dealers there think they can charge what they like because there's enough people with money to spare in the area. I always buy from a less affluent area. I've even bought cars up North as it can make a difference. Whatever you do, go for a low price. When it comes to the crunch, many dealers would rather sell the car as long as they are making some profit. I bought my current car in Morden last year, it was an ex-demonstrator with 300 miles on the clock at £6,000+ below list price. I found the car on Autotrader. They had apparently over-ordered and wanted to shift the car. Shop around.