Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Have you ever coined a phrase or saying that's become widely used?

Many years ago I was in The Chelsea Arts Club of all places with a group of musso faces(about a dozen of us having lunch) and someone mentioned someone (I don't remember exactly who it was) as being a leg-end.....ie.....a legend.
I then piped up with....."yes, and what's more he's a leg-end in his own lunchtime." General laughter all round.
Now, the term 'legend in his own lunchtime' has over the years become quite a well known quip.
I said it without having ever heard it from anyone else.......I genuinely thought of it myself.
I've often wondered if my silly throw away comment all those years ago brought the expression into being.......a crazy notion some might think, but I'd like to think it's true.
Certainly none of the people there that day had heard it said before.

Comments

• Yeah, I was definitely the first to say Peter Crouch had a good touch for a big guy.

Prove it otherwise.
  • Itchy beard, Jimmy Hill.

Did Jimmy Hill come up with that? You learn something new everyday
  • edited January 2017

Many years ago I was in The Chelsea Arts Club of all places with a group of musso faces(about a dozen of us having lunch) and someone mentioned someone (I don't remember exactly who it was) as being a leg-end.....ie.....a legend.
    I then piped up with....."yes, and what's more he's a leg-end in his own lunchtime." General laughter all round.
    Now, the term 'legend in his own lunchtime' has over the years become quite a well known quip.
    I said it without having ever heard it from anyone else.......I genuinely thought of it myself.
    I've often wondered if my silly throw away comment all those years ago brought the expression into being.......a crazy notion some might think, but I'd like to think it's true.

Well I hope so Soundas :smile:
    Must be nice to realise you invented a phrase that has entered the language.

It was actually a reply to the OP
  • I invented the word "pants" meaning "crap" in 1995.

It was actually a reply to the OP
    I was joking that it was as likely that Jimmy Hill came up with that as the OP's claim. ..
  • 3blokes said:

Well I hope so Soundas :smile:
    Must be nice to realise you invented a phrase that has entered the language.
    Well, I just don't know for sure, I mean to say how could I......but there's a damn good chance it's how it came about.
  • Errr, I'll look into it
  • edited January 2017
    Private Eye have used the 'Legend in his own lunchtime' expression for many years.
    Were you with any of their editorial team at the Chelsea Arts Club?

Edit - from 1993
    Richard Ingrams used it
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/interview-hes-a-legend-in-his-own-lunchtime-personal-problems-led-richard-ingrams-to-leave-private-1500820.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Private Eye have used the 'Legend in his own lunchtime' expression for many years.

This would have been around 1977/78......who knows where they got it from.....do you know ARTHUR?
  • Pardew you are a cnut.

Don't know who started it tbf
  • Many years ago I was in The Chelsea Arts Club of all places with a group of musso faces(about a dozen of us having lunch) and someone mentioned someone (I don't remember exactly who it was) as being a leg-end.....ie.....a legend.

When was this? You said is was "many years ago". Roughly how many?
  • edited January 2017

Private Eye have used the 'Legend in his own lunchtime' expression for many years.

This would have been around 1977/78......who knows where they got it from.....do you know ARTHUR?
    No, but as a subscriber I just recalled it used often.
    Seems it also appeared in The Observer in 1976 used by journalist Chris Wordsworth
  • Private Eye have used the 'Legend in his own lunchtime' expression for many years.

No, but as a subscriber I just recalled it used often - no doubt from you in 1977
    Ha ha......I honestly don't know mate.....like I said earlier.....who knows......who knows.
  • I have some disapppointing news, @SoundAsa£ - it was first used in print in 1973.

Legend in his own lunchtime.
  • Isn't it more likely you'd heard it somewhere and all but forgotten it?
  • Isn't it more likely you'd heard it somewhere and all but forgotten it?

Forgotten what?
  • Chizz said:

I have some disapppointing news, @SoundAsa£ - it was first used in print in 1973.

Oh well.....that's a bummer......but how come I said it without having heard it myself.....pure chance I guess.......my bubble has certainly been burst.
    Errrrm.......thanks chizz.......I think!
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

Isn't it more likely you'd heard it somewhere and all but forgotten it?

Forgotten what?
    It.
  • Chizz said:

I have some disapppointing news, @SoundAsa£ - it was first used in print in 1973.

Oh well.....that's a bummer......but how come I said it without having heard it myself.....pure chance I guess.......my bubble has certainly been burst.
    Errrrm.......thanks chizz.......I think!
    1978 might be the first time you REMEMBER saying it. I reckon you probably first said it ten years before that. *taps side of nose*
  • edited January 2017

Isn't it more likely you'd heard it somewhere and all but forgotten it?

I suppose that's possible.....I was certainly exploring various powders and potions of exotic proportions in those days......the mind can play funny games I guess......maybe that's the answer?

• I always thought John Lennon wrote "I'm just a legend in my own lunchtime" in one of his books ("In my own write" or "A Spaniard in the the works"), about 1965?

• "Yellow" when I answer the phone, really confuses the French
  • I invented - I'll look into it.
  • Errr, I'll look into it

Let us know if you come up with anything.
  • MrOneLung said:

I invented - I'll look into it.

I will look in to this
  • Pardew you are a cnut.

Don't know who started it tbf

I'm laying claim to that one...