Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Iwelumo

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/sport/story

"COLCHESTER striker Chris Iwelumo will today be unveiled at Charlton Athletic"

? unveiled ? .... have we got a statue of him already?

Comments

• Options
    From cafc.co.uk

It's less than a week before Alan Pardew's class of 2007/08 kick off their pre-season campaign and one of the new breed looks set to be a towering presence.

At first glance that's not too difficult, as Chris Iwelumo stands at an imposing six-foot-four, but on closer inspection you find a striker with a burning desire for goals and top-flight football.

After visiting the club's Sparrows Lane training complex on Monday, Iwelumo surveyed the impressive facilities and said: "Just to look around here, it's fantastic.

"If someone had said to me two years ago that I would be walking into Charlton on July 2nd, 2007, as a Charlton player I wouldn't have thought it.

"I guess it's a credit to what I've done over the last couple of years so I'm looking forward to it.

"I'm a happy guy but I'm also a professional and will keep my feet on the ground. I know what the job at hand is and I look forward to the challenge.”

In terms of jobs, the Scottish striker has been hired to supply the same kind of goal threat that helped Colchester United to promotion to the Championship and the Premiership periphery in as many seasons.

And having also regularly found the net in a previous spell at Stoke City, the fixture list was always going to contain a handful of connections.

With Stoke hosting the first away game of the season on August 18th, the trip to Layer Road would be extra special for the 28-year-old - and that follows hot on the heels on September 15th.

"I look forward to going back there,” he continued. "I had two good years there and scored a lot of goals but it's part and parcel of football that players move on.

"Now I've got new targets, new goals and new challenges. I want to score a lot of goals next season.

"I put pressure on myself and I know what's expected of me. The gaffer and Parky brought me here for a reason and I want to fulfil that.”

Having pledged his future to the Addicks in mid-May, on the same day as possible strike partner Luke Varney arrived from Crewe Alexandra, Iwelumo is excited about the new challenges ahead and, as a 'veteran' of life underneath the top tier, is well placed to offer guidance and advice.

"There's going to be a lot of teams going for it next season and there will be a lot of pressure and expectation,” he said.

"You've got to start a season in a good way and Scunthorpe at home is a fantastic opener.

"You have to make them realise where they are and who they are playing against.”

Having shocked the division with his unfashionable Us last term, Iwelumo knows more than most what is in store next season and he confirmed: "No matter who you play against, it was proven last year that anyone can beat anyone.

"You just have to make sure you're up for it on the day and I'm sure we will be.”

So what's the secret of success at Championship level, then?

"Consistency is the key,” he explained. "Birmingham proved last year even when they were playing poorly they were able to still win games.

"You just have to make sure when you are having a bad day at the office you can still get something out of the game. It's situations when you are down to 10 men with 10 minutes to go and down in the game and you still get a point out of it.”

He added: "This level is what I've always known but you prepare exactly the same for games as any other and you look forward to it exactly the same.

"Charlton is a big fish now and a lot of teams will be upping their game when they play against us.

"So we need to make sure the togetherness is there and the team spirit, and we all have the same goal and strive for the same thing at the end of the day.”

Since signing on the dotted line, Iwelumo has been keeping a keen eye on events at The Valley and was chomping at the bit to kick off his new regime at the start of July when he will be one of a host of new faces.

He said: "I've played against Paddy [McCarthy] and we had a bit of banter in the games we played against each other.

"He came across very well and I can tell you he's a strong, no-nonsense defender and has a very good voice on the pitch, which is needed.”

Iwelumo, who won a penalty following a foul by his new teammate in one of two draws against Leicester City last term, remembers the incident well.

"I never thought it was a penalty myself,” he admitted. "But the ref gave it and when I saw it the next day he was pulling me.

"It was one of those things. I wasn't going to say to the ref 'no, I don't want a penalty' (Iwelumo picked himself up to score from 12 yards in a 1-1 draw) but I have to say he was right.

"I'm sure he'll bring it up on Monday when we have a wee chat. But seriously, he's a very hard defender and I had a few good battles with him. I'd certainly prefer to have him on my side.”

He added: "After last season a few have left but the manager has kept a lot of the squad, and to add to that can only be a positive.

"Like I say, I'm just looking forward to starting and getting what is I'm sure a hard pre-season under my belt and moving on from there.”
  • Options
    i like the sound of this fellow he's given me a slight hint of optimism , we might make the play offs;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i like the sound of this fellow he's given me a slight hint of optimism , we might make the play offs;-)
    bloody hell
  • Options
    Tell you what, this Iwelumo is seriously excited about playing for Charlton........

Eat your heart out Thomas, Rommedahl and all the others who can't be arsed.
  • Options
    He might be well excited but how do we get the ball to him, he's to tall? Not going to happen from corners surely.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i like the sound of this fellow he's given me a slight hint of optimism , we might make the play offs;-)[/quote]

Agreed. He is the sort of bloke who is going to run his balls off for the team and ain't gonna be bothered about saving his energy for China White in the evening. Call me a soppy old fool but give me a hapless but wholehearted Leaburn like player over a twat like Marcus Bent every time.
  • Options
    spot on Ormy.
  • Options
    if you're black and grew up in Scotland you would have to be well hard.....I like his comments and his first impression of Sparrow's Lane. Hope he is a big success.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]if you're black and grew up in Scotland you would have to be well hard.

lol fair comment
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    On Twitter: "The day has arrived. Today I sadly announce my retirement from football following a long & blessed career.Thank you!!" Did well for us I thought! Good luck for the future!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc-west said:

On Twitter: "The day has arrived. Today I sadly announce my retirement from football following a long & blessed career.Thank you!!" Did well for us I thought! Good luck for the future!

Fuck me thought he was going to be another one of those 'oh how we need him now big lump up top with Igor' guys

Thank god

Did a job for us I thought, his goals with the ball at his feet were good, held it up well and liked to turn on the edge of the box
  • Options
    These threads are hilarious when they come back up. Some were talking him up as if he was going to be a revelation.
  • Options
    I was waiting for the nowhere near as good as kermit comments
  • Options
    Daft decision by pardew to sell. Liked Big Chris
  • Options
    As a Charlton fan he'd did a decent job for us, as a Scotland fan my perception isn't quite the same !
  • Options
    carried the team after reid was sold and pards decided hoof ball was the best way to show off his managerial skills. Ironically he was probably a better player with the ball at his feet than in the air.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Can still remember his goal at Ashton Gate. Lovely cross from Reid and Chris threw his bandaged head at it for a great late winner.
    Good luck in the future big fella.
  • Options
    He took wolves to the prem
  • Options
    Not at all his fault because he was an honest pro, but this just brings back memories of the worst era I've had whilst supporting the team.

He was one of the better players because he tried, but God that whole shambles of the start of the 07/08 - end of 10/11 season.

I just have nightmares of the countless loans Pardew gambled on toward the end of the first season back in the Championship.

From the looks of the announcement on Twitter he was well respected by fans of the other clubs he played for, so hope he has well earned retirement
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My best memory of him was the brace he bagged against this Saturday's opponents, Sheffield Wednesday when we came back from 0-2 down to win 3-2 in the game they were giving abuse to Majid Bougherra. Wouldn't mind having him at his peak right now.
  • Options
    Wasn't a big fan but his winning goal in injury time at St Mary's a few years back remains a great memory
  • Options
    A decent player at our level, a ridiculous decision by Pardew to waste £1.5m on Andy Gray, who was probably worse.
  • Options
    Lets face it, pardew made a lot of ridiculous decisions. He's like Ashley Cole in that he has had success but remains almost universally disliked. But enough about pardew, Big Chris was a good player and will always be loved by me for his goal at st marys alone, and giving us the chance to rub those gobby twats who sat in the corner near us noses in it. Not Iwelumo's fault but I do seem to recall we played a lit of hoofing it up the middle whenever he was on the pitch.
  • Options
    Capped a fantastic day out with the last minute winner, at Southampton.
  • Options
    Thought he was a good player, remember him scoring at the Hawthornes whilst barely able to stand, he also played superb when recalled to play Stoke at home to deal with Delaps long throws.
  • Options
    Decent player, scored goals and we were definitely weaker with him gone. His career will always be tainted by that Scotland miss unfortunately
  • Options

Wasn't a big fan but his winning goal in injury time at St Mary's a few years back remains a great memory

His winning goal at Ashton Gate in the last minute was pretty special too.
  • Options

Remember it well, the Tuesday night game straight after the Saturday last minute winner by big Chris at Southampton - Andy Reid picked up the ball around the centre circle, rode a couple of challenges as he ran strongly down the left, before sending over a peach of a cross that Iwelumo headed in at the far post.

"Big Chris in the last minute, Big Chris in the last minute ....", we chanted.

• Options

Those two were consecutive games if memory serves.