Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who is the dirtiest team you have ever seen at The Valley and who is the dirtiest player?

edited January 2017 in General Charlton
For me it was Coventry City February 18th 1967......we lost 1-2. They got promoted to the old 1st Division that season.
It's not surprising that the dirtiest player I have personally seen with my own eyes played for Coventry that day......none other than George (The Beast) Curtis.....my god what a filthy bastard he was, how he stayed on the pitch was an f'ing travesty. He was their centre half and Captain, the only player I have ever seen that had legs as big as Paul Went, possibly bigger in fact! He was crude beyond words that day.
He was ably supported by a sly little blond haired fucker by the name of Brian Lewis wearing the number 7 shirt.
l was 19 at the time and I can honestly say it was the nearest I have ever come to running on the pitch and chining someone. Had I have done so,I feel sure others would have joined me.
Does anyone have a match report from that weeks Mercury, Kentish Independant or any of the Sunday's from February 19th 1967......bit of a long shot I know but it would make interesting reading.
Curtis and Lewis were by far the worst offenders but the entire team were culpable.
Dirty bastards to the point of disbelief.

Comments

• Options
    Leeds.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Leeds.

Well yes....... but when?
  • Options

cfgs said:

Leeds.

Well yes....... but when?
    Oh ok that team that had Bowyer and Mills in it and they spent the game roughing up a very young Parker.
  • Options
    Plymouth under Holloway. 07/08 season, they came down to do a job on us.

Todorov got crocked that day.
  • Options
    Think one dirty showing by Stephen Hunt persuaded me to start a thread
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Ermmm sorry, I don't follow you?
  • Options

For me it was Coventry City February 18th 1967......we lost 1-2. They got promoted to the old 1st Division that season.
    It's not surprising that the dirtiest player I have personally seen with my own eyes played for Coventry that day......none other than George (The Beast) Curtis.....my god what a filthy bastard he was, how he stayed on the pitch was an f'ing travesty. He was their centre half and Captain, the only player I have ever seen that had legs as big as Paul Went, possibly bigger in fact! He was crude beyond words that day.
    He was abley supported by a sly little blond haired fucker by the name of Brian Lewis wearing the number 7 shirt.
    l was 19 at the time and I can honestly say it was the nearest I have ever come to running on the pitch and chining someone. Had I have done so,I feel sure others would have joined me.
    Does anyone have a match report from that weeks Mercury, Kentish Independant or any of the Sunday's from February 19th 1967......bit of a long shot I know but it would make interesting reading.
    Curtis and Lewis were by far the worst offenders but the entire team were culpable.

I remember Curtis kicking Matt Tees into the dugout that day.

Wasn't Maurice Setters in that Coventry Team? Played a few games for us towards the end of his career.
  • Options
    I saw the thread title, easily knew the answer, came on here to post and- the initial post is exactly what I would have written. Right down to George Curtis.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Yes, me too, he went flying for at least 12 feet, face down like a swooping bird straight into the Charlton dug out.
    Remember the woman in the front row of the West Stand getting onto the cinder track and setting about Curtis with her rattle!
  • Options
    Terry Hurlock and Kevin Muscat where both wronguns. Both Millwall too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Leuth said:

He was such a dirty Stephen that I started a thread saying as much. He's also the chap who nearly killed Petr Cech
  • Options
    Tom said:

Terry Hurlock and Kevin Muscat where both wronguns. Both Millwall too.

Good shout.....always seemed to turn it on (if that's the right expression) against us too.
  • Options
    I remember that Coventry game, I agree they were possible the dirtiest team I have seen Curtis should have been sent off early in the game, those days players got away with a lot more
  • Options
    Muscat's tackle on Matty Holmes was assault, pure and simple, as was Pat Van den Hauwe's elbow on a young Sean Newton. Muscat's record for brutality should have seen him kicked out of the game - his disciplinary record matched his appalling record of injuring other professionals who were better players than him.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

He was such a dirty Stephen that I started a thread saying as much. He's also the chap who nearly killed Petr Cech
    He wasn't just dirty he was also a sly cowardly prat of a player
  • Options
    I also remember seeing Tees sent in to orbit by Curtis. It's strange somethings you remember from past games, I couldn't remember the score though.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Pure luck really that Matt Tees wasn't very seriously and possibly permanently injured......I'm not sure if he carried on or not?
  • Options
    Notts County in 1984-85 Milk Cup. Kicked fuck out of Charlton, with a number of repeat offenders (John Fashanu was one of them).

I can't think of a team performance in the modern era that I'd consider dirty. Niggly yes, a bit of dirty play, yes but full on dirt, no.
  • Options
    Muscat and Shearer with an Ian Wright.
  • Options
    Yes, it doesn't happen nowadays, too many bookings and sending off's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pure luck really that Matt Tees wasn't very seriously and possibly permanently injured......I'm not sure if he carried on or not?

He continued as far as I recall
  • Options
    Muscat
  • Options
    Spot on, @SoundAsa£. Never seen anything else come close to it.

The most unpleasant, cheating team I saw was Barcelona when they played at Spurs in the UEFA Cup at White Hart Lane. Diving, feigning injury and spitting in the faces of the Spurs' players.

As for games, I have seen on TV, I seem to remember the Celtic fans going mad as their opponents were reduced to 7 or 8. I am pretty sure that scored stayed 0-0 though.
  • Options

He continued as far as I recall
    I think Rodney Green was carried off after a tackle from behind by Lewis.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Notts County in 1984-85 Milk Cup. Kicked fuck out of Charlton, with a number of repeat offenders (John Fashanu was one of them).

I can't think of a team performance in the modern era that I'd consider dirty. Niggly yes, a bit of dirty play, yes but full on dirt, no.

The Wimbledon team that would have played us in 1988 would have hardly been short of a few who could put it about - John Fashanu, Dennis Wise, Vinnie Jones, Eric Young, Andy Thorn, Brian Gayle etc etc

The thought of playing against that lot leaves me cold.

• Options

Coventry 67 as above - clear winners

(Dis)honourable mentions:
    Argentina 66 WC
    Leeds passim incl Smith on Rufus
    Hurlock/Rhino/Muscat
    Jefferson (Ipswich) Mar 68
    Battle of the Bridge 88
  • Options

He was ably supported by a sly little blond haired fucker by the name of Brian Lewis wearing the number 7 shirt.

• Options
    Probably doesn't compare to some old school horror shows, but in our L1 winning season I remember Paul Dickov bringing his Oldham team down to show us that he'd trained all 11 of his players in the art of Paul Dickov bastardry. From the first minute to the last it was all niggling, all whining nonsense and the ref fell for it all. We ended up drawing after a late equaliser from them and it was the most pissed off I was all season. I think in the reverse fixture there were three reds as well
  • Options
    Must agree Coventry managed by J Hill
    Curtis should have been sent off.
  • Options
    The 1967 Coventry game was before my time but I do remember one of my older Charlton mates telling me about George Curtis' repeated and disgraceful assaults on Matt Tees and that the Coventry team were by far the filthiest he'd ever seen. A real bunch of hatchet men, although they could play as well.

The worst I've seen at the Valley was, I think, Port Vale in our Division 3 days in the early 1970s. They must have had five men booked in the first 20 minutes, with Keith Peacock a particular target. By some miracle, they ended the game with 11 men and, worse still, got a 2-2 draw.