Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Child Labour? Man City's new signing...

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier-league/manchester-city-sign-finley-burns-amid-competition-from-chelsea-arsenal-and-liverpool/ar-AAm2LsI?li=AA572I&ocid=spartanntp

I thought there were football rules about this, let alone laws? Obviously not. And the kid knocked back Liverpool because they wanted him to come on a trial, what a liberty wanting to see what you were buying...

Another nail in the coffin of football.

Comments

• Options
    Insane, ridiculous amount of pressure to put on a child. What are the parents thinking ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Insane, ridiculous amount of pressure to put on a child. What are the parents thinking ?

Kir ching!!!!!
  • Options
    Pep Guardiola has talked about building a good youth setup at City and Burns' recruitment makes way for further investment in the future as City look to move away from high profile signings and promote home grown players from their setup.
    Absolute bollocks.

Surely "building a good youth setup" goes far beyond snapping up the youth players of other academies? I genuinely feel for Southend United over this, it's difficult to see how this is good for anyone involved - other than Man City who have taken a punt with an amount of money that is negligible for them.

It's also very suspect that the lad refused to go on trial at Liverpool, I suspect Liverpool may well have had a lucky escape. Even if the boy has talent and skill, if he (or his parents?) has that attitude at 13 then I dread to think what he's going to be like in a couple of years.

Suddenly the lad is going to find himself a small cog in a big machine, with heavy expectations on his shoulder. If the expectations don't ruin him then it will be interesting to see how his development works out. I can't see moves like this being good for the English game at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Nothing new really and probably happens far more often than we hear about.
  • Options
    Not for 175k I guess - hence the "record fee"...
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Pep Guardiola has talked about building a good youth setup at City and Burns' recruitment makes way for further investment in the future as City look to move away from high profile signings and promote home grown players from their setup.
    Absolute bollocks.

Surely "building a good youth setup" goes far beyond snapping up the youth players of other academies? I genuinely feel for Southend United over this, it's difficult to see how this is good for anyone involved - other than Man City who have taken a punt with an amount of money that is negligible for them.

It's also very suspect that the lad refused to go on trial at Liverpool, I suspect Liverpool may well have had a lucky escape. Even if the boy has talent and skill, if he (or his parents?) has that attitude at 13 then I dread to think what he's going to be like in a couple of years.

Suddenly the lad is going to find himself a small cog in a big machine, with heavy expectations on his shoulder. If the expectations don't ruin him then it will be interesting to see how his development works out. I can't see moves like this being good for the English game at all.

Southend might do pretty well out of it, could be £175,000 for a kid who's talented at 13 but never kicks on.
  • Options
    pep gardiola doesnt look too special anymore, i think other pl managers dont get the credit they deserve someone like sean dyche/eddie howe that dont have the scounts and backroom set up city have and still manage to play a decent enough game.
  • Options
    These wunder kids rarely seen to come good. Pennant and Cole are the only ones I can think of who were hyped as early as this and went on to succeed. Even their careers failed to live up to the hype.
  • Options
    Norwegian lad at Real Madrid, Odergard, joined them a couple of years ago, stated in his contract that he could only train with the first team.

Think they're now trying to loan him out somewhere.
  • Options

These wunder kids rarely seen to come good. Pennant and Cole are the only ones I can think of who were hyped as early as this and went on to succeed. Even their careers failed to live up to the hype.

Whatever happened to that kid in the Mcdonalds ads?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017
    City have the biggest and best academy in the country. They have a ridiculous array of young talent and most of them are local lads. Their under 16s beat Liverpool 9-0 and west ham 8-0 this season, their under 15s beat Man U 9-0 last year.

Yes there will be the odd amazing kid who gets poached/bought, but that's top level football these days, but a lot of their players are local kids.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

A relative works with the mum. The family get a house to rent paid for by Man City for a certain period, the kid and his sister get to go to a private school, paid for by Man City. The dad gets to relocate the business to Manchester, financed by Man City. The kid gets a 5 year contract at 16 or 17 (cant remember which) so if he doesn't make it he gets a free education and a good start in life. I'm guessing that is what the parents were thinking. It's not the kids or the parents fault that big clubs make the offer.

The report isn't accurate. He went to Liverpool before Man City interest and didn't like it.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

A relative works with the mum. The family get a house to rent paid for by Man City for a certain period, the kid and his sister get to go to a private school, paid for by Man City. The dad gets to relocate the business to Manchester, financed by Man City. The kid gets a 5 year contract at 16 or 17 (cant remember which) so if he doesn't make it he gets a free education and a good start in life. I'm guessing that is what the parents were thinking. It's not the kids or the parents fault that big clubs make the offer.

The report isn't accurate. He went to Liverpool before Man City interest and didn't like it.
    Cheers for that, that's really interesting - especially about the misreporting over Liverpool; that in particular made him sound like a right stuck-up little git.

The resources that Man City are prepared to allocate to a 13 year old are absolutely staggering.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

So the family are, essentially, dependent on their 13 year old son ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

So the family are, essentially, dependent on their 13 year old son ?
    No. both parents have jobs and they own their own house. Man City have made an offer which will improve all family members lives regardless whether he makes it or not.
  • Options
    Don't think you can really judge this situation without knowing the full facts.

The parents will have lost many hours sleep trying to think through all the options and what is right for themselves, their son and any other siblings. There will have been a lot of pressure on them with the club's involved offering all sorts of incentives to gain Finley's signature.

On this forum we are all football people. Thirteen is very young, but which one of you would not like to have your son pursued by four or five of the biggest clubs in the Country?

The financial benefits offered to Finley could set him and the rest of the family up for life.

Unfortunately it is all part of the lunacy of top level football at the moment.

I remember a Charlton scout saying to me a few years ago that things were getting so stupid that he would be hanging around maternity wards before too long!!

• Options
    The info from Toddy changes the perspective slightly, but still an awful lot of pressure on the lad, not sure I would want to put a 13 year old there, but he may be a very level headed youngster.
  • Options

The info from Toddy changes the perspective slightly, but still an awful lot of pressure on the lad, not sure I would want to put a 13 year old there, but he may be a very level headed youngster.

They are a lovely family and he s a level headed lad. Yes, he went to Liverpool but they wanted to move him up there on his own. Quite rightly the family thought the was too young and refused. We have all seen lads who look like future stars as teenagers but don't make it. I wish him well
  • Options

City have the biggest and best academy in the country. They have a ridiculous array of young talent and most of them are local lads. Their under 16s beat Liverpool 9-0 and west ham 8-0 this season, their under 15s beat Man U 9-0 last year.

Yes there will be the odd amazing kid who gets poached/bought, but that's top level football these days, but a lot of their players are local kids.

No real sign of anyone breaking into their first team though.

I have to say, I find it hard to see how this is good news for the 13 year old.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Whatever happened to that kid in the Mcdonalds ads?</block

Chucked his toys out his pram and pissed off to Chelsea, the little Judas c**t
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They are a lovely family and he s a level headed lad. Yes, he went to Liverpool but they wanted to move him up there on his own. Quite rightly the family thought the was too young and refused. We have all seen lads who look like future stars as teenagers but don't make it. I wish him well
    Yes, thats it. I was told he went up there and he wasn't going to sign for them but couldn't remember why
  • Options

Really? Are sure its wasn't that they didn't offer that "the kid and his sister get to go to a private school, paid for by Man City. The dad gets to relocate the business to Manchester, financed by Man City. The kid gets a 5 year contract at 16 or 17 (cant remember which) so if he doesn't make it he gets a free education"? Plus the free house of course. Rather than literally move him up there on his own? It's still a fair enough decision to go for the better package, of course.
  • Options

Really? Are sure its wasn't that they didn't offer that "the kid and his sister get to go to a private school, paid for by Man City. The dad gets to relocate the business to Manchester, financed by Man City. The kid gets a 5 year contract at 16 or 17 (cant remember which) so if he doesn't make it he gets a free education"? Plus the free house of course. Rather than literally move him up there on his own? It's still a fair enough decision to go for the better package, of course.
    This all happened when the news was full of youngsters being abused by football coaches etc. Against that background would you be happy for your 13 year old moving around 200 miles away to live with people he (or you) didn't know?

Yes, the City deal is miles better but he went to Liverpool first and didn't know the potential City deal.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be happy with that under any circumstances, Liverpool must be thick as shit ( particularly given the timing ) if they expected anything different.
  • Options
    So the parents get called out as bad parents because Man City have offered them a life changing deal now negative comments because a 13 year old boy wouldn't move to Liverpool to be away from the family

Everyone at the age of 13 would love to be a pro. He has got a chance to develop with good coaches and amazing facilities. I don't understand the criticism on here. Man City made the offer, they accepted. Good luck Finley, even if you don't make it, what a wonderful experience you will have and good luck living out every school boys dream.
  • Options

So the parents get called out as bad parents because Man City have offered them a life changing deal now negative comments because a 13 year old boy wouldn't move to Liverpool to be away from the family

Everyone at the age of 13 would love to be a pro. He has got a chance to develop with good coaches and amazing facilities. I don't understand the criticism on here. Man City made the offer, they accepted. Good luck Finley, even if you don't make it, what a wonderful experience you will have and good luck living out every school boys dream.

Absolutely right. What a great opportunity.

An incredibly difficult decision for the parents who will have had to have taken everything into consideration. They would have been under immense pressure from all the club's, including Southend who will no doubt have wanted to keep him.

Southend struggle against the bigger clubs, so Finley must have really stood out to be selected. There are scouts watching pretty much every Academy game these days and Finely's parents will no doubt have been approached on a number of occasions by representatives from different clubs. There is nothing you can do about that if you have a talented son who is at an Academy. It isn't right, but that's what happens.

I went through something very similar last year and have every sympathy and respect for the parents. In my instance it was less pressured with two big clubs chasing my son's signature.

To criticise the parents without knowing the full circumstances is a disgrace.....

• Options
    !3 year old boys shouldn't be bought or sold! It is basic decency. Big football teams don't possess that though - look at Barcolona and Real Madrid regularly getting soft punishments for poaching kids! I think it puts more pressure on the kid than is good for him.
  • Options
    @MuttleyCAFC you are of course right.

It is not supposed to be a purchase, but a compensation fee. Splitting hairs I know.

My son was scouted by Charlton when he was six and is now 14. In that eight years the finances in football have changed immeasurably.
    In England boys are first signed by clubs at the age of eight. You are not told at the time, but that is you committed (unless released) to that club until you are 16. The club holds your registration and will ordinarily charge a compensation fee if you move to another club. There is a system in place regarding compensation, however, in Finley' s case there were clearly a number of suitors.

From age 8, in my son's age group, the elite boys at two London clubs have been on a monthly retainer of at least £600. I have known of boys aged 9 and 10 that have been bought by those same two clubs. It is absolutely shocking, but it is allowed to happen. I don't know of this situation being investigated or queried in England. I now live in Scotland and the Scottish Government have now started to ask questions and challenge the Scottish FA on the movement of boys between clubs.

The situation regarding the movement of scouts is far more controlled in England, with all the London clubs employing stewards at the training grounds. In Scotland they don't have the money to monitor things nearly so closely and I would say that scouts and normally agents have been present at every game my son has played this season.

My son is routinely 'followed' on social media by agents and various sports companies from around the world. We have discussed this in detail and I monitor it regularly.

It is a crazy world we live in!!!