Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lads trip to Berlin - Tips

Not exactly a stag do, just two mates visiting the city for 5 days next month. Neither been before and wondering if anyone has any tips for things to do / see whilst there. I'm not really a very good tourist in cities, having done Paris, Rome, Stockholm and found them a bit touristy, but will give it a go.

Wife is expecting / fearing this to be two childish forty-somethings out on the lash with a 'What goes on in Berlin, stays in Berlin' attitude. Thats not really us, so any suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Comments

• edited January 2017
  • Sorry admin. Duplicate. Please delete thread.
  • My only advice would be. Be careful where you put your tips!
  • Everyone I know that's been Berlin says it's amazing and makes London England look like a joke.

Have a good weekend.
  • edited January 2017
    Keep your hand on your pfennig
  • Hi, I lived in Berlin and the pity is that you are not visiting in the Summer, as I would thoroughly recommend any of the long boat trips that you can take in and around the city (there are two main rivers - the Havel and the Spree - and several large lakes, all interconnected). Berlin is built on sand, so there are many fantastic lakeside resorts, with wonderful beaches. Failing that you must visit the Reichstag - the main parliament building (book a day in advance for security clearance to visit Norman Foster's glass dome on the top of the Reichstag - it is a MUST DO). Also walk to the Brandenburg Gate from the Reichstag. Again a MUST DO. Thirdly go up the Television Tower - you can't miss it. It's the tallest building in Berlin. Fourthly, if you like shops and restaurants visit the Ku Damm (it's a very long street, akin to Oxford Street and Bond Street combined). Fifthly, if you like zoos Berlin has one of the best in the world. Sixthly, if you are a train enthusiast visit the Hauptbanhof (Main Station) - it is architectural wonder. I could go on, but if you do some or all of the above you will not be disapppointed.
  • WSSWSS
    edited January 2017
    I recommend a place called Artemis....

(Don't google at work)
  • Go and see Union or Hertha play.
  • Brilliant city and great place to run a marathon :)
  • A friend of mine went to the Berghain and saw two men fornicating on the dance floor while dressed head to toe in latex.

You can take that as a recommendation or a warning depending on what type of trip you're after.
  • Sponsored links:

• Island museums.
  • might have to show your id to this fella though;

• Dog the Sausage Hunter
  • A friend of mine went to the Berghain and saw two men fornicating on the dance floor while dressed head to toe in latex.

You can take that as a recommendation or a warning depending on what type of trip you're after.

"A friend" Yeah right.
    I don't think I'm chic enough to get in.
  • There's a Radisson hotel across the river from the Berliner Dom and across the road from the Marx & Engels statue. In the hotel, there is a huge aquarium (connected to the Sea Life next door). Go into the hotel, buy a coffee and watch the aquarium.

If you can, go to Union Berlin. I have been to Hertha also but Union is far better.

Pergamon Museum is excellent. A lot of nice bars around Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain.

Great city.
  • Don't go with the "flu" and spend most of your time in bed ill (like what I did last year).

Berlin wall (remains), Brandenberg Gate & Checkpoint Charlie are all musts.
  • Get cabs everywhere as the city is well spread out. White Trash is worth a visit. Just remember we are spoilt for architecture in London. East Berlin is like someone has made it out of lego.
  • edited January 2017
    The DDR Museum is definitely worth a visit too.

Don't agree about cabs (except maybe after midnight). Berlin has U bahn, S Bahn and trams covering the city. Cheap, with all day tickets, and an app which sells the tickets electronically. S Bahn runs above ground and is an atmospheric part of the city.
  • Sponsored links:

• A fun way of seeing a bit of the city is to do the Trabant Safari, you drive an old Trabant (in convoy) atround the city, with the leader/guide giving instructions through the car radio
  • edited January 2017
    Watch Keith Rick Stein's excellent 'weekends away' programme on BBC iPlayer- there's one on Berlin. Worth watching as is the whole series if you like your food and travel.
  • Prenzlauer Berg is one of the revitalised areas of East Berlin. Sunday brunch is a bit of a thing in their cafes
  • MarkyE83 said:

Get cabs everywhere as the city is well spread out. White Trash is worth a visit. Just remember we are spoilt for architecture in London. East Berlin is like someone has made it out of lego.

Or a cheaper alternative, use the U-Bahn and S-Bahn. Day tickets are ridiculously cheap and you can get quite a way out on the S-Bahn. Ideal for visiting Sachsenhausen (former concentration camp) out at Oranienberg if that's what floats your boat.

If you want more culture, head out to Warschauer Strasse on the U-Bahn and visit the 'East Side Gallery'. It's basically one of the largest 'chunks' of the Berlin Wall that is covered in original graffiti and has been left as a reminder/memorial. Olympic Stadium well worth a visit and you can go any time and do not have to book onto one of the tours. Jewish Memorial and Museum fairly near the Brandenburg Gate also worth a visit.

As in most cities, get a decent map or app and do a lot of walking. You will literally stumble across so much in this city.
  • I like Keith Stein.
  • I like Keith Stein.

Oops. Thanks - edited my post above!
  • The Topography of Terror is worth a visit if you have the stomach for that, and it's near Checkpoint Charlie, the scene of start of the East Berlin riots (which has a communist mural on the building) and one of the few remaining lookout towers from the wall. The three memorials to those murdered & persecuted by the Nazis near the Brandenburg Gate (Jews, Roma & Sinti, Homosexuals) are also very worthwhile.

The East Side Gallery has been touched up recently and it looks great now. If you start at Warshauer Strasse, you can end up at Ostbahnhof and watch the trains :smile:

If you like coffee, go to the Barn cafe near Hackescher Markt
  • edited January 2017
    We stayed in the Best Western Spittelmarkt just after Christmas. Two minutes from Spittelmarkt U-Bahn, good value if you swerve the breakfast. We walked everywhere along Leipzigerstrasse, from Potsdamer platz to Alexanderplatz. Either on, or a short way either side of this road takes in the TV tower, World Clock, Freidrichstrasse, Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, 53 uprising memorial, Spy museum, Dali exhibition, Jewish memorial, Gendarmenmarkt and Nikolaiviertel - where there's a cracking little pub called Zum Nussbaum, proper old worlde and with great beer and food...
  • http://brauhaus-georgbraeu.de/en/

Good for a few quiet steins!
  • we are in berlin on the 3rd. i would not bother with the ddr museum its pretty boring. If you want a good night out go to the munich bier kellar in alexanderplatz, the music packs up about 11 but berlin stays open all night. would definately recommend going to a union game but you might find it hard getting a ticket this late in the day.