Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Bowyer back

Comments

• Options
    Redhenry said:

I heard that Lee Bowyer will be Robinsons Assistant Manager.

Another appointment lacking in the necessary experience required.
  • Options

I find this the strangest appointment. Prior to a few months ago I had never heard of him doing any coaching. Seems a very quick jump and I feel sorry for Euell who must wonder what he has to do

was on talksport around Jan/feb saying he was looking for a coaching position but realised he'd need to start at the bottom and work his way up.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

/ cheap option.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    He was in the same Charlton youth team as Jason Tindall (Eddie Howe's #2) - maybe they are still in touch with each other and we can leverage something from the relationship
  • Options
    I've just heard Bowyer will be announced this week as assistant manager.
  • Options
    From Karl's interviews in the last couple weeks I got the impression he would be bringing in an experienced assistant and having Bowyer and JJ both as coaches.

Perhaps he's been told there's not the budget for that either.
  • Options
    I believe that Bowyer was at Watford U23s with Harry Kewell for a while, I remember him saying he couldn't believe the lack of respect some of the young players have nowadays. As if they are something special and that they're doing the coaches a favour, not the other way around.

(I know he wasn't the best behaved but I am sure he still respected his coaches as a young player here at Charlton)

I think the appointment of Bowyer as assistant manager with Jackson as player/coach is good, it keeps things fresh. The players will have a closer relationship with the coaches as they won't be too far apart in age and Robinson has had a large variety of different coaches working with him in the past, and that can only be a good thing. He would have picked up a lot from a lot of people, including when he worked with Big Sam.

The best coaches are always the best thief's. You work with someone, you steal what they do and you make it your own.
  • Options

I find this the strangest appointment. Prior to a few months ago I had never heard of him doing any coaching. Seems a very quick jump and I feel sorry for Euell who must wonder what he has to do

I wouldn't worry about it, they usually give somebody with little / no experience the managers job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Redhenry said:

Only 10 years Prem/Champ League/International knowledge.
    What can he possibly bring to the table?
    Yes and about 3 months part time actual coaching experience.
  • Options
    the lack of coaching experience is a worry especially if we are relying on him and Jacko. Might be less worried if Gobinson wasn't the manager.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

We are a tier 3 club, what do you expect as an assistant.

It's either a coach with loads of experience but has not achieved much, or someone looking for experience with a fantastic career as a player behind him
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

Redhenry said:

We are a tier 3 club, what do you expect as an assistant.

It's either a coach with loads of experience but has not achieved much, or someone looking for experience with a fantastic career as a player behind him
    Look around pretty much every other tier 3 club. The combined experience of their assistant and first team coach are at a minimum double that of JJ/LB.

It's not necessarily a criticism people are simply saying that we will have 1 relatively inexperienced manager with 2 very inexperienced coaches. We would feel more comfortable with someone with a little more experience alongside ala Barker/Nugent/any number of others.
  • Options
    The only assistant I would be happy with is one standing behind KR with a gun.

"Tell them you know what is needed. I dare you. I double dare you, motherfucker."
  • Options
    So. Anybody know where Congo Chris fits in to all this?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

So. Anybody know where Congo Chris fits in to all this?

The rumour for the last month was he was leaving.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

/ cheap option.
    Plus allegedly out on the drink with squirrel face after the Swindon game.

F*** Charlton bringing you up eh Lee?!
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Yeah, you crack on with the wumming.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

The best coaches are always the best thief's. You work with someone, you steal what they do and you make it your own.

Get Richard Rufus in then

• Options
    Don't seem to remember Curbs and Gritt having too much coaching experience!They didn't do too bad.Everyone has start at some point
  • Options

Let's not moan for the sake of moaning.

This 100%

There are things that are clearly very wrong and broken but not everything. It may be a bit of a punt but KR wants players to know what "being a Charlton player" is all about.

I heard from a couple of players that the atmosphere has led to players in the dressing room questioning "why do we bother when they are going to behave like that". I don't know names but the player who said it said it DOES play a part for some people.

A younger or lower league player looking at us is still going to see the appeal of a club of our size - and having a player with Champions League and Premiership experience can only be a good thing.

Until it's announced we can't be sure but I know for a fact KR stated recently he would be leaning heavily on both Jacko and Bowyer in the run-in so figured this was the plan for next season.

Whether this could be seen as "getting our Charlton back" remains to be seen but it's an improvement on some no-mark Belgian coach that's for sure.

• Options

Don't seem to remember Curbs and Gritt having too much coaching experience!They didn't do too bad.Everyone has start at some point

See Luzon, Fraeye ETC ETC
  • Options
    Yeah and they had plenty of Charlton history
  • Options
    edited May 2017

As I remember it both had been coaching the reserves and first team under Lawrence for a while but you are right they had relatively little experience.

But then I also remember we didn't have a pot to piss in rather than a multi-millionaire owner.

I don't know if Bowyer is any good or will become good but he is a strange choice when supposedly​ we have such a generous owner.
  • Options
    Jus

As I remember it both had been coaching the reserves and first team under Lawrence for a while but you are right they had relatively little experience.

But then I also remember we didn't have a pot to piss in rather than a multi-millionaire owner.

I don't know if Bowyer is any good or will become good but he is a strange choice when supposedly​ we have such a generous owner.
    Just trying to forget for one moment the wealth of RD.We are in Lg 1 and many on here say they want there Charlton back.Well JJ and Bowyer are pretty much Charlton - so I would have thought they tick that Box!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Let's not moan for the sake of moaning.

This 100%

There are things that are clearly very wrong and broken but not everything. It may be a bit of a punt but KR wants players to know what "being a Charlton player" is all about.

I heard from a couple of players that the atmosphere has led to players in the dressing room questioning "why do we bother when they are going to behave like that". I don't know names but the player who said it said it DOES play a part for some people.

A younger or lower league player looking at us is still going to see the appeal of a club of our size - and having a player with Champions League and Premiership experience can only be a good thing.

Until it's announced we can't be sure but I know for a fact KR stated recently he would be leaning heavily on both Jacko and Bowyer in the run-in so figured this was the plan for next season.

Whether this could be seen as "getting our Charlton back" remains to be seen but it's an improvement on some no-mark Belgian coach that's for sure.

If the players are annoyed about the atmosphere, do you think they have tried taking it up with Katrien Meire?
    The reason why the players (are supposed to) bother is because they are paid. However it is a trait in football people to look for excuses when their own failings have let them down.
    I don't (for example) remember the players being dissed when they threw it away at home to Wimbledon, or failed to show up at home to Peterborough.
    Poor lickle lambs, they need to seek advice from Roger Johnson, or as I said at the beginning they ought to ask what Katrien Meire is going to do about it.