Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Tommy Allsup.

Who he, you probably ask?

Well, he's the guy who wrongly called tails instead of heads when tossing a coin with Richie Valens over who should get a seat on the plane with Buddy Holly.

Fate decreed he would get another 58 years. RIP Tommy.

Comments

• Options
    RIP Tommy, I never knew that story.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Wow I did know that story, RIP Tommy
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    RIP, The lottery of life!
  • Options
    RIP
    One of my dads music mates was Country Music star Waylon Jennings - he missed the same flight.
  • Options

Well, he's the guy who wrongly called tails instead of heads when tossing a coin with Richie Valens over who should get a seat on the plane with Buddy Holly.

RIP, although surely he called correctly?
  • Options

Not at the time.
  • Options
    Interesting story @Algarveaddick .. as Dylan might'a sung .. 'Blame it on a Simple Twist of Fate'

R I P
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They were tossing for who gets a seat on the plane, not who misses the flight. Tommy called tails and lost the toss.

• Options
    edited January 2017

In this case the winner was the loser DM. Tommy later on went to run a club called, I believe, "The Heads Up" in a tribute to his "luck" and to the memory of his friend, Richie Valens.

I should add that he was a very good guitarist, if Buddy Holly wanted him on his team, it speaks for itself.
  • Options
    Yes, he did call correctly after all.

RIP.
  • Options
    An engineer i once worked with told me that when he lived in Australia he was flying back to a job on a sunday evening. One of the directors wives decided to gatecrash the plane so there was one less seat. The others decided who ever was last to the airport would miss out.

Subsequently he was and would have to fly out the next day meaning he would lose a days wages.

Yes you can guess. The plane he missed crashed killing all on board. He said there isnt a day go bye where he doesn't think about it.
  • Options

Only with hindsight.
  • Options
    R.I.P.