Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Millwall | Sat 14 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Millwall
Saturday 14th January 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Keith Stroud (Bournemouth)

Introduction

Everyone enjoy their week off from Football last week…? Ready to go again…?

FA Cup Football took precedence over any League action last weekend and despite our match against Rochdale being scheduled; that fixture was postponed with the Dale continuing their FA Cup adventure with a 2-0 win over Cumbrian side: Barrow. And so after our impressive 4-1 win over Bristol Rovers we return to League action this Saturday for the second of three home matches on the trot as we host neighbours: Millwall

The Opposition
Name: Millwall | Manager: Neil Harris
Ground: The Den

Despite the FA Cup taking place last Weekend there were League games yet unlike ourselves; Millwall remained in the historic cup competition, they played host to Premier League side: AFC Bournemouth and recorded one of the shock results of the round as they advanced to the fourth round with a 3-0 win… Neil Harris admitted after the match that he’d prefer to swap that result with a win at the Valley this weekend which means the Lions surely have another cup final to look forward to.

Naturally the reverse fixture has already been played with the two teams facing off against each other less than one month ago with an injury hit Addicks side making the short trip up the Old Kent Road… Sadly the actual result from that fixture has momentarily escaped my memory but one thing is certain, the Millwall record against us goes on.

1996 was the last time the Addicks were victorious against their neighbours and although that unbeaten run stretched to 2009 (yeah if you can claim it Millwall then so can we) it has now been five years since our last win.

Charlton Team News
January has been a busy month for the Addicks with Ademola Lookman departed for Everton whilst Morgan Fox moved up a Division to Sheffield Wednesday and would like to add a big thank you to both players for their service in a Charlton shirt. In terms of incomings we have seen Nathan Byrne coming in on loan from Wigan whilst Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton) and Lewis Page (West Ham) have joined on permanent deals.

All four could potentially make their debuts this Saturday whilst it will be difficult to drop Joe Aribo fresh from getting four assists in just two appearances for the Addicks – Against Bristol Rovers; Chris Solly made his return from injury whilst Karl Robinson has stated that Ricky Holmes is set for a potential return to the bench and will possibly be joined by Tony Watt.

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Teixeira | Page
Forster-Caskey | Crofts
Byrne | Aribo | Chicksen
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Mitov | Konsa | Lennon | DaSilva | Holmes | Watt | Ajose

Prediction
Despite our impressive win against Bristol Rovers there were still cracks and with three potential new debutantes on Saturday, the squad will once again need time to gel – Millwall on the other hand will be buoyed from their win against Premier League opponents so struggle to see anything better than a draw.

Comments

• I'm not sure Forster-Caskey is ready yet, so I expect Konsa to stay in midfield. Rudd is pushing for a recall too, so he could step in for Phillips? The team looks a bit short up front, but has plenty on the bench, so if we can go into the last twenty minutes on level terms, we might have a chance? Not expecting it though, as Miiii are on form and I think they will again be too street wise and strong for us. Hope I'm wrong!
  • edited January 2017
    2-2 after coming from 2-0 down.

I thought Rudd was available for selection?
  • depending on how hes getting on in training id let watt have a crack, the sort of game where he could come back score and be a charlton legend, although not a debut he done similar whilst at celtic and went down in celtic history as a bit of a hero.

actually fancy us for a change 2-1 preferably with a very late winner to "pull" the lions tail.
  • 2-2 after coming from 2-0 down.

I thought Rudd was available for selection?

I hadnt seen anything about Rudd being available

All I remember is Robinson saying a few weeks ago that Rudd / Holmes had better get fit quickly because we needed them for the Millwall game this Saturday, when Holmes was mentioned (whilst Rudd wasnt) in yesterdays article, I presumed the latter wasnt ready
  • Pedro45 said:

I'm not sure Forster-Caskey is ready yet, so I expect Konsa to stay in midfield. Rudd is pushing for a recall too, so he could step in for Phillips? The team looks a bit short up front, but has plenty on the bench, so if we can go into the last twenty minutes on level terms, we might have a chance? Not expecting it though, as Miiii are on form and I think they will again be too street wise and strong for us. Hope I'm wrong!

I couldnt make my mind up whether to put JFC in ahead of Konsa but reckon we need the experience against Millwall, both Konsa and Aribo played well against Bristol Rovers but both had their moments which we can afford to have this weekend - Reckon JFC played against Cardiff to give him that fitness and test him to see if he's ready to start.
  • I can't see past a 1-2 defeat sadly.
    Our only hope is to score first, we won't do two come backs in a row.
    Might scrape a 0-0 but both teams have goals in them.
  • Can't see us getting anything from this one 2-0 to them. With Morrison and Gregory scoring. Our team

Rudd
    Solly, Baeur, Texeire, Page
    Crofts, Konsa
    Byrne, Aribo, Chicksen
    Magennis

Subs Phillips, Lennon, Forster- Caskey Holmes, Watt, Ajose, Da Silva.
  • Where's @happyvalley when you need him...?
  • Sponsored links:

• Must be due, law of averages, what goes around comes around, I'm clutching at straws, 2-1 Charlton.
  • same old 1-1
  • That picture nearly made me cry. I'm sure Kim was looking at me.
  • iamdan said:

1-0 Tony Watt 93rd minute.

Watt takes off his jersey off to reveal a 'we want Roland out' shirt.

All smiles at The Valley.

If Tony Watt came on in the 85th minute, and scored a goal akin to his second v Huddersfield in injury time to win it, I would probably keel over with it all.
  • Rudd
    Solly | Bauer | Teixeira | Page
    Forster-Caskey | Crofts
    Byrne | Aribo | Chicksen
    Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Konsa | Lennon | DaSilva | Holmes | Watt | Ajose

What a strong bench. Shame this game falls a week early for Holmes to start.

1-1 with 15 to go, Holmes and Watt introduced. Holmes scores and Watt keeps the ball by the corner flag for 20mins. We win 2-1.

Light dusting of snow at the Valley. Got to dream haven't we?!

• I quite like your line up there, Holmes for Chicksen if he can make at least 60mins. COYR, we have to stop the rot eventually!
  • cafc-west said:

Where's @happyvalley when you need him...?

Pretty sure he said we probably won't win on the 'millwall at home' thread. I then lost all hope.
  • This is it. 4-1 home win with lots of dancing afterwards
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll bet against us, and with my luck that should ensure we draw. 0-0 thriller
  • cafc-west said:

Where's @happyvalley when you need him...?

I heard that he topped himself when we won 4-1 against Bristol Rovers.

Had we not conceded he'd finally have got a prediction right!!
  • Really surprised so many people want Rudd back in. Phillips has been great.
    I think we might win this you know.....2-0
  • An agonising 0 - 1

The torment continues.
  • Phillips
    Solly Bauer Teixeira Chicksen
    Crofts Konsa
    Byrne Aribo DaSilva
    Magennis

Rudd, Lennon, Page, Forster-Caskey, Ulvestad, Holmes, Ajose

3-3
  • Got a feeling it will end 2-0 to us.
  • As sure as night follows day...