Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parking at Lewisham Hospital & any cheaper alternatives

I've got to take my mum down there for 7.30am next Wednesday and stay with her, as she's having a minor op.

I know parking is limited and it's effectively £2 per hour, so could cost me £20.

a) It's cash only, so do the machines accept notes, as well as coins ?

b) Is there any free street parking/cheaper street parking at 7.15am ?

Thanking-you kindly.

Comments

• There are meters over the road around Lewisham park, but you will have to keep feeding them.
  • If u drop her off and then leave her u can park in muirkirk road in catford for free. Itd abkut a twenty minute walk from the hospital. Not ideal but better then 20 quid
  • Ill ask someone tommorow about notes in the machine
  • The parking meters across the road that run round the park are 35p per 15mins. It's easy to find a spot and only five minutes walk away.
  • Was there recently and although it says the machine accepts notes it doesn't. And (un)helpfully points you in the direction of the nearest cash machine.

Around Lewisham Park is probably best, mate.
  • Was there recently and although it says the machine accepts notes it doesn't. And (un)helpfully points you in the direction of the nearest cash machine.

Well that's what I thought from last year, when I was down there with the ma-in-law. Thanks.
  • Parking restrictions start at 9am round there. Next to or near Lewisham Park is a good shout - think they might be maximum stay 4 hours so would cover you until 1pm, £1.40 an hour.
  • Book a cab??
  • Book a cab??

Or uber
  • The hospital has a cashiers department for change. Look for the admin block on the hospigal map and its the general office u r after
  • Sponsored links:

Well that's what I thought from last year, when I was down there with the ma-in-law. Thanks.
    Drive the car through the main entrance piss takers
  • Hope your Mum is fine 'covered end' and when it's all over, if you have the stamina? You could write to your MP and ask why only Englands hospitals have pay car-parks.
    Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland are free.
  • Daggs said:

Hope your Mum is fine 'covered end' and when it's all over, if you have the stamina? You could write to your MP and ask why only Englands hospitals have pay car-parks.
    Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland are free.

Sadly one of Edinburgh's main hospital car parks is permanently full with fee-dodging airport users, much to the chagrin of locals and genuine hospital users.
  • nearly all of the roads are permit holders only, but look around and you may get lucky.

Don't use the hospital as you will be in there a lot longer than you think.

The local cab station to the hospital is good value for money if you decide not to drive
  • edited January 2017
    To be honest and to save all the agg......get a cab mate.
    Not sure where you are in the borough and how much the fare would be, but the alternative is going to be a considerable hassle, (a)getting enough change for an unknown lengthy period and (b)going backwards and forwards to your car. As unfair as it may seem just bite the bullet and do it the easy way.
    I've been there and done it at various hospitals over the years, it's logically the best way, especially at a time when the last thing you need is added stress for you....................and Mum!
  • clb74 said:

Was there recently and although it says the machine accepts notes it doesn't. And (un)helpfully points you in the direction of the nearest cash machine.

Drive the car through the main entrance piss takers
    Not as daft as it sounds!
  • Yep, we was charged £16 for the priviledge of parking after having to drive my father-in-law to Lewisham A&E on Sunday when the Ambulance failed to show after nearly 3 hours wait.
    Absolute rip off.

The meters on Lewisham Park only run up til 7pm so its free parking after that. Its a bit mental though as I parked in one of the bays only to return to my car to find someone had stuck their bonnet into a 1/4 of a space behind me and a tree just to get in.
    cafc999 said:

Erm...not sure I want to know the answer to why you think that at the moment.

• All the nearby roads have parking schemes, once you've dropped her off Chudleigh Rd and roads off it don't have a parking scheme yet. You could also try Dressington Avenue which is far by car, but a quick walk over Ladywell Fields which now has an entrance to the hospital. The car park there by the day centre has recently been made pay only, but there is street parking I think. Parking scheme in Ladywell runs from 8am to 7pm, which is a joke. The streets are now largely empty of parked cars and despite the council's claims it was to stop commuters, the main people I always saw parking round here were hospital workers.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Yep, we was charged £16 for the priviledge of parking after having to drive my father-in-law to Lewisham A&E on Sunday when the Ambulance failed to show after nearly 3 hours wait.
    Absolute rip off.

The meters on Lewisham Park only run up til 7pm so its free parking after that. Its a bit mental though as I parked in one of the bays only to return to my car to find someone had stuck their bonnet into a 1/4 of a space behind me and a tree just to get in.

cafc999 said:

Because every time I have been there for an appointment I have never been seen on time, or even near to my time of appointment ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc999 said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Yep, we was charged £16 for the priviledge of parking after having to drive my father-in-law to Lewisham A&E on Sunday when the Ambulance failed to show after nearly 3 hours wait.
    Absolute rip off.

cafc999 said:

Because every time I have been there for an appointment I have never been seen on time, or even near to my time of appointment ;)
    lol oh FFS, someone just shoot me. I read that totally differently lol. I've only slept 2 hours over the last 3 days, its beginning to show now. Apologies for taking that the wrong way :)
  • cafc999 said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Absolute rip off.

cafc999 said:

I have had the very first appointment of the day at ENT on more than one occasion, and the ENT department insist that I am there on the dot.
    Every single time I have turned up, as the first and only person in outpatients there is a sign up saying the wait is two hours. Every single time.
    I don't understand why they make appointments starting at 9am when it should be 11am and there would be much less parking stress.
  • I've got to take my mum down there for 7.30am next Wednesday and stay with her, as she's having a minor op.

I know parking is limited and it's effectively £2 per hour, so could cost me £20.

a) It's cash only, so do the machines accept notes, as well as coins ?

b) Is there any free street parking/cheaper street parking at 7.15am ?

Thanking-you kindly.

there maybe a reason for not doing this but cabs may be easier

if your mum is a lbl resident and cant make journeys like this using public transport (maybe too old or disabled) she would qualify for a subsidised cab journey /subsidised cab account

depending how mobile your mum is id park and ride on a bus

hospital car parks are an insult to us all

whatever happens good luck mrs covered end senior

• Can anyone on here give Coveredo and his mum a lift down there and pick em later in the day? I know I would if I was local...

We're Charlton, it's what we do
  • never paid at the QE car park in Woolwich and never had a ticket.

even left the car out the front before with a 'midwife on call' card in the front window.
  • Elthamaddick (above), brilliant - best quote on the subject!
    Well done mate!!!
  • Can anyone on here give Coveredo and his mum a lift down there and pick em later in the day? I know I would if I was local...

We're Charlton, it's what we do

Covered End could get his mum to stay overnight and then get the 208 with his free bus pass wouldn't cost covered end a penny
  • I'm pretty sure you can park free along Ravensbourne park, Catford se6, it's a short walk from there through Ladywell fields to the hospital.
  • never paid at the QE car park in Woolwich and never had a ticket.

even left the car out the front before with a 'midwife on call' card in the front window.

Trust me on this dont do this now. At the moment they are like hawks this includes both the staff car park and public one.
  • I should add that my missus is a midwife ;)