Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Footballers with the best (or most amusing) names

Comments

• edited January 2017
    Would that have been Phil Amato's son or brother, I guess it would be one or the other?
  • McBobbin said:

I always thought the name Titus Bramble was steeped in bathos

I think you've just made 95% of Lifers reach for a dictionary.
  • Those last three don't count Atletico - Lesley is spelt differently, and Francis and Morgan are definitely boy's names!

Morgan is one of those names, like Dana and Vivian, which can apply to either sex. For example, see this Morgan Fox:
    http://www.famousfix.com/topic/morgan-fox
  • edited January 2017

Would that have been Phil Amato's son or brother, I guess it would be one or the other?

Not sure tbh. His Dad Tony (was also with Charlton in the 60s) had a hairdressers / barbers down by the Yorkshire Grey in Eltham. Played football with him a few times many moons ago - top bloke.
  • American Football - Maurice Maurice

Pronounced Moreece Morris
  • Wayne kerr and mark hunt
  • Those last three don't count Atletico - Lesley is spelt differently, and Francis and Morgan are definitely boy's names!

Morgan is one of those names, like Dana and Vivian, which can apply to either sex. For example, see this Morgan Fox:
    Yeah I get that, but then you could have any Lee etc, less in the spirit of the thing!
  • NHL: Miroslav Satan

Yeah I get that, but then you could have any Lee etc, less in the spirit of the thing!
    Indeed. All I was doing was pointing out that Morgan is not definitely a boy's name.
  • The marvellous Paul Marcellous Elliott.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2017
    William Archibald Spooner says.......

Kenny Lunt
  • ......and he was married to Jill Dando.
  • The head groundsman at Lord's is Mike Hunt but cricket commentators call him Mick Hunt.
    Seems that they're split on which to use.
  • edited January 2017
  • Would that have been Phil Amato's son or brother, I guess it would be one or the other?

Not sure tbh. His Dad Tony (was also with Charlton in the 60s) had a hairdressers / barbers down by the Yorkshire Grey in Eltham. Played football with him a few times many moons ago - top bloke.
    Nathan runs it himself now , took over from his Dad. Nathan went to my school (few years older) but my Dad used to play with Tony so we knew the family . Bumped into Nathan at a party about 8 years ago and someone intoduced me to him saying "this is Nathan , he's a Charlton fan as well" . I then told my mate that Nathan was a bit more than a fan.
  • Portuguese goalkeeper

Quim
  • Paul Kinnell , Exeter Newcastle, once used in a joke by Jasper Carrott! If you say it quickly!
  • markmc68 said:

Known as bummers to his friends.

Who?
    John Bumstead
  • Perry Digweed ex Brighton keeper! Always sounded a funny name
  • Can't believe no one has said Danny Shittu! !!
  • Sponsored links:

• The Indian cricket team has a player called Bumrah. Wasn't he the baddy in Thunderpants, the spoof of Thundercats on classic kids show Round The Bend
  • Danepak said:

Robert Mambo Mumba
    Christ Bongo
    Ulf Kirsten
    Kaka
    Steve Death
    Jürgen Macho
    Dean Windass
    Thankgod Amaefule
    Ignacio Camacho
    Dame N'Doye
    Daniel Drinkwater
    Andrea Carnevale
    Andrey Arshavin
    Johan de Kock
    Jean-Jacques Missé-Missé
    Éric Rabésandratana
    Danny Blind
    Nicky Butt
    Johnny Moustache
    Fred Grim

Actually shaking with laughter at some of these, especially Christ Bongo.
  • pun time from Henry Winter in the 'Times' after Lincoln beat Ipswich ... 'Luke Waterfall soon joined the cascade of attacks flooding towards the Ipswich area' .. hohohohoho ((:>)
  • From the seventies,

Arthur Mann.
  • Exeter full back Craig Woodman .. his middle name is ... Beckenbauer !! ((:>)
  • Massimo Macarone. Mustapha Teryaki.
  • Belgian defender Mark De Man