Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Just figured out how to download the images.
  • Options
    Keep 'em coming TT, I love all this stuff.

Is that Ransom Walk?
  • Options
    Yes.
    Not been able to download any others to my phone yet.
  • Options
    @TellyTubby do you know the person posting the photos?

If so can you ask if the museum can use them and are there any of the Valley?
  • Options

@TellyTubby do you know the person posting the photos?

If so can you ask if the museum can use them and are there any of the Valley?

I don't know the person. She told somebody else to download them from the link. I will ask if they can supply better copies.

Not seen one of the valley but one that looks like it might be Floyd road in the 60s.
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    TT and Henry - Got my doubts that it is Ransom Walk.
    As somebody pointed out on the Facebook page; Ransom Walk has a double arch under the railway.
    More likely the underpass at Woodhill/Maryon Park Road
  • Options

As somebody pointed out on the Facebook page; Ransom Walk has a double arch under the railway.

You could be right. I thought that there was only one underpass originally but looking at the building on the left, it doesnt look like the mosque.
  • Options

You could be right. I thought that there was only one underpass originally but looking at the building on the left, it doesnt look like the mosque.
    Is it the one by the Albion pub?
  • Options

Is it the one by the Albion pub?
    Dunno what it looked like before Morris Walk was built but if it is then the roads changed not just all the buildings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I saw this on the Facebook page and wondered if it was in fact the underpass at the bottom of Woodhill, as there are two underpasses at Ransom Walk and they are both arched.

Woodhill
  • Options
    Choo-choo
  • Options

Choo-choo

Tried to skirt round that by just suggesting it being an underpass
  • Options

I saw this on the Facebook page and wondered if it was in fact the underpass at the bottom of Woodhill, as there are two underpasses at Ransom Walk and they are both arched.

/>

And the car in front is a Toyota, not a Fiat.
  • Options

Great little poem

According to this website http://www.plumstead-stories.com the poem was written by Roger Jewiss
    (formerly of Bostall Lane and Shooters Hill Schools and many Woolwich area football teams).
    Doesn't give a date though.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I think the underpass is of the Woodhill one, taken from the Woolwich Road side, before the Woolwich Road was made a dual carriageway. With the Albion Pub replacing the buildings on the right hand side.
  • Options

Date ? Well, transport-wise the trams finished in July 1952 and the trolleybuses in March 1959. As for CAFC in Division One the last season until 1986 was 1956/1957. " Not all this rock" and "mustn't jive" presumably refer to the arrival of rock 'n roll in 1956. The theatre known as Barnard's from 1892 to 1922 ran as the Empire, Beresford Street until closure in 1960. So, with a bit of poetic licence 1957 would be an educated guess. "Soldiers in blue shirts" in 1957 would be post-Suez - does that make any sense?
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I think the underpass is of the Woodhill one, taken from the Woolwich Road side, before the Woolwich Road was made a dual carriageway. With the Albion Pub replacing the buildings on the right hand side.

Yeah, looks like the British Hospital for Mothers and Babies in the background, or maybe Woodhill School.

We use to use the adventure playground and the BMX track.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dansk_Red said:

Yeah, looks like the British Hospital for Mothers and Babies in the background, or maybe Woodhill School.

We use to use the adventure playground and the BMX track.
    Think you are right about Woodhill School - the building in the background looks like it has the distinctive 'tower' that the school has.