Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall on the move?

Comments

• Options
    It's difficult to put aside what I think of the fans.
    Within those last 25 years those fans have shown the local community the 'spirit' of burning cars and rioting before the net had stopped rippling from Stern Johns magical moment.
  • Options

What people are forgetting is that the land that hosts the excellent Millwall Community Trust is being sold off to an offshore based private developer to build homes that surprise surprise won't be affordable for most working people.

Millwall Community Trust like our trust do excellent work. They support and help the young, the elderly and the disadvantaged. The Millwall Trust saved Lewisham council £7.5million last year but are now being thrown under the bus by the council. With this cruel and nasty government we have whose policy of decimating public services through needless austerity, these trusts have become more and more invaluable to people who need help and support. The worse thing about this, is that Lewisham council is a labour run council and some of the councillors have links to the private firm buying the land. You can't claim to be the party of anti auesterity if you're allowing your council to act like Tories.

This. Our community trust wins awards nearly every year and has done for the last 25 years. Putting aside what you think of our fans, this whole thing is rotten to the core.
    So is it not possible to run the trust from anywhere else?

IMHO, It comes across that the trust is being used like some sort of pawn by your owner, take it away and the trust folds.

Also, if he is allowed to develop the land, wouldn't he also be building on the land that he is moaning about losing?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    What exactly is the Millwall A_M_S group ?

Edit : Assiciation of Millwall Supporters

Do one.
  • Options

What people are forgetting is that the land that hosts the excellent Millwall Community Trust is being sold off to an offshore based private developer to build homes that surprise surprise won't be affordable for most working people.

Millwall Community Trust like our trust do excellent work. They support and help the young, the elderly and the disadvantaged. The Millwall Trust saved Lewisham council £7.5million last year but are now being thrown under the bus by the council. With this cruel and nasty government we have whose policy of decimating public services through needless austerity, these trusts have become more and more invaluable to people who need help and support. The worse thing about this, is that Lewisham council is a labour run council and some of the councillors have links to the private firm buying the land. You can't claim to be the party of anti auesterity if you're allowing your council to act like Tories.

I'm sorry that's all irrelevent.

The Millwall Trust it is true will lose its offices. Rented from Lewisham Borough. They relocate and continue to do the very good work that they undoubtedly do. The Trust do not need to be located at The Den. They are not part of the club and can remain associated by name just as they are now wherever in the borough they re locate to.

Wonder how you'll feel when this happens to us?

You got an eye on one of the new flats?

• Options
    Surely this has got to make anyone's blood boil. From the Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/09/millwall-stadium-sadiq-khan-conservatives-letter)

'Concerns are also raised about the small amount of affordable and social housing planned by developer, Renewal, and the fact the proposed new Surrey Canal Road overground station will no longer be paid for by the developer, as originally proposed, with the costs to be met by the taxpayer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Millwall Trust it is true will lose its offices. Rented from Lewisham Borough. They relocate and continue to do the very good work that they undoubtedly do. The Trust do not need to be located at The Den. They are not part of the club and can remain associated by name just as they are now wherever in the borough they re locate to.

What sites does cact rent from the council?
    I thought they are based at sparrows lane and carry out their work at a number of sites.
  • Options

Surely this has got to make anyone's blood boil. From the Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/09/millwall-stadium-sadiq-khan-conservatives-letter)

'Concerns are also raised about the small amount of affordable and social housing planned by developer, Renewal, and the fact the proposed new Surrey Canal Road overground station will no longer be paid for by the developer, as originally proposed, with the costs to be met by the taxpayer.

We're not listening... No one likes us!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

If for any reason CACT were to lose its base at the club I feel confident that it is well run enough and valued enough to survive elsewhere in the borough. Like Millwalls Community Trust our award winning Community Trust is independent and not connected to the club. It is a charity. It is connected in name only.

I think you might be confusing the issues surrounding Millwall Football Club and Millwall Community Trust.

• Options

What exactly is the Millwall A_M_S group ?

Edit : Assiciation of Millwall Supporters

Do one.

As opposed to the Supporters Club, the Lions Trust, or the Supporter Director (yes, they have one).

And there's the attitude problem, right there in that tweet.

• Options
    Redrobo said:

I was just trying to get to grips with the Millwall side of the story. I think it has been said on this thread that Berylson is a property developer. But that does not seem to be a fair description of his business interests, which seem to be varied. He was a director of Vision Express for a while in the 90s, for example.

I start to think that perhaps we are a bit suspicious of the Millwall side because the club itself is making all the public running, rather than the fans (per the Valley Party). We the fans resolutely defended Charlton's plans to redevelop the Valley, while being critical of elements of it. Nobody could mistake Airman Brown for a property developer, so the Council and local residents' portrayal of the plan as "crazy" or "monstrous" got no traction in the press.

Several articulate Lifers obviously know much more than I do about Millwall's plans. Are my remarks naive?

I tried to find out a bit, but to be honest it is difficult to understand the motives of anyone who would want to own a football club, let alone Millwall who don't actually own anything of substance. One then can't help concluding that he had an eye on the development opportunities surrounding the ground as these were known at the time. Or was it just coincidence? I would suggest not.

The impact is very small on Millwall IF the development is completed. (See sparrowlane's comments).

I do not think his own plans include the club buying the ground either. It appears that they wish to be given the land that Millwall currently rent to develop it, and then give an income back to the council. I know I keep on banging on about this, but this is not a proposal by Millwall for Millwall. So why should they be given any preference over any other developer? At least the prefered developers actually own a substantial proportion of the land they wish to develop.

If it was just about Millwall and their needs, one can't help but believe that reasonable discussion could not easily solve the question of the car parking spaces and the community centre (see also proposals on the indoor sports and youth centre). At the moment I suspect that he does not want to resolve these issues as he wants to use them for his own political reasons i.e make some money.

Again, do more research, you don't come close to understanding the proposed schemes and are coming to the wrong conclusions.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

I was just trying to get to grips with the Millwall side of the story. I think it has been said on this thread that Berylson is a property developer. But that does not seem to be a fair description of his business interests, which seem to be varied. He was a director of Vision Express for a while in the 90s, for example.

I start to think that perhaps we are a bit suspicious of the Millwall side because the club itself is making all the public running, rather than the fans (per the Valley Party). We the fans resolutely defended Charlton's plans to redevelop the Valley, while being critical of elements of it. Nobody could mistake Airman Brown for a property developer, so the Council and local residents' portrayal of the plan as "crazy" or "monstrous" got no traction in the press.

Several articulate Lifers obviously know much more than I do about Millwall's plans. Are my remarks naive?

I tried to find out a bit, but to be honest it is difficult to understand the motives of anyone who would want to own a football club, let alone Millwall who don't actually own anything of substance. One then can't help concluding that he had an eye on the development opportunities surrounding the ground as these were known at the time. Or was it just coincidence? I would suggest not.

The impact is very small on Millwall IF the development is completed. (See sparrowlane's comments).

I do not think his own plans include the club buying the ground either. It appears that they wish to be given the land that Millwall currently rent to develop it, and then give an income back to the council. I know I keep on banging on about this, but this is not a proposal by Millwall for Millwall. So why should they be given any preference over any other developer? At least the prefered developers actually own a substantial proportion of the land they wish to develop.

If it was just about Millwall and their needs, one can't help but believe that reasonable discussion could not easily solve the question of the car parking spaces and the community centre (see also proposals on the indoor sports and youth centre). At the moment I suspect that he does not want to resolve these issues as he wants to use them for his own political reasons i.e make some money.

Again, do more research, you don't come close to understanding the proposed schemes and are coming to the wrong conclusions.
    No. You explain it. Without all the bullshit.
  • Options
    Can't the trust find a different office space/community centre/warehouse or something to run out of?
  • Options
    Great David Squires cartoon, but most councils have unelected chief executives and all have unregulated cabinets - the difference is that Lewisham has an elected mayor, but as a whole most councils, Labour or Tory, are ripe for abuse by the unscrupulous.

The political bandwagon-jumping is getting hilarious, mind.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    sam3110 said:

Can't the trust find a different office space/community centre/warehouse or something to run out of?

Surely as per of a CPO they will get compensation to do just so?

Edit: Ignore that, the offices are being rented from the council!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

The documentation freely available online gives you the explanation you need.

You can read through the Millwall & LBL bullshit and decide who produces the most.

• Options
    sam3110 said:

My sources are telling me that even as we speak Millwall Community Trust are looking at office space in and around Chatham.

• Options

sam3110 said:

My sources are telling me that even as we speak Millwall Community Trust are looking at office space in and around Chatham.

Since the CEO of the Spanner Community Trust is none other than Seriously Red's best friend Steve Bradshaw, late of this parish, I expect he has no idea what he is doing or why.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Gills will be happy to have them on their doorstep!
  • Options

sam3110 said:

It would be very funny though
  • Options

sam3110 said:

It would be very funny though
    If Millwall really want to break into the commercial world outside of football then perhaps they could build their new toolbox next to Paramount Studios.

Mickey Mouse world anybody ?

• Options
    let em come let em come let em come let em all come down to north kent
  • Options

Why is there a hyphen between no and one?

Probably ecause that spelling of 'no one' is becoming acceptable, on the grounds that it eliminates any ambiguity with 'no one' meaning 'not one'.
    Smart arse!
    I do like a compliment.
  • Options

Why is there a hyphen between no and one?

Probably ecause that spelling of 'no one' is becoming acceptable, on the grounds that it eliminates any ambiguity with 'no one' meaning 'not one'.
    So I guess the spelling of the word 'because' also falls into the same grammatical grounds of ambiguity!
    Not at all, that's just a spelling mistake.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

The documentation freely available online gives you the explanation you need.

You can read through the Millwall & LBL bullshit and decide who produces the most.

There you go again, "Millwall". It's not, is it.

Can't find anything about either proposals that involves the demolishing of the Den, and as others have said, the community centre can relocate.

Did see something about the biggest sports centre and a youth centre.

All good news for your club then. Phew.

Did see something being said about your owners plan gifting the club £5mil a year so you break even. Can there be a better reason for objecting to this plan!

If he has the money to do all this developing, why is he not spending a bit more on players? Very odd.