Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Paul Went

John Rooke has reported on Facebook that Paul Went has passed away. Nice man - RIP Paul.

Comments

• OMG RIP Wolly.

One of my all time Addicks heroes. Couldn't have been that old.
  • One of my first football heroes, great centre half - RIP.
  • Awful start to 2017. Fixture in the first Charlton side I saw and a rock at the back.

RIP Paul
  • Bloody hell. Very decent player.
    One of my memories was him being started up front away to Derby.
    I think he got both goals. Still lost 3-2 mind. R.I.P.
  • RIP

Met Paul when he unveiled the player of the year board in Bartrams. He was the first winner of POTY in '71.
  • Bloody hell. Was in my first Charlton team. RIP
  • Loved thunder thighs and remember him scoring one of the best own goals ever. RIP Paul.
  • I'm pretty sure that he made his debut for Orient when he was fifteen and captained them at eighteen. He was part of our fine 68/69 team and if he hadn't been blighted by injury would have gone on to play in the top division.

Sad news. RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very sad, one of my favourites RIP
  • edited January 2017
    RIP Paul. He spoke at the POTY "do" about 3 years ago. I have to say with the greatest respect, that he was a very large man.
  • Very sad news - 67 no age. Top class centre half and certainly one of my favourites, first seeing him when I was 10.

RIP Paul.
  • RIP Paul
    One of our best centre backs also a good centre forward when needed
  • A very good player, and a firm favourite in the late sixties. Appropriate to remember that he scored twice (playing at centre forward) for the Addicks against Millwall away one year, though we still lost!

My fave story about him - which I have mentioned on the Harry Gregory thread - was when he and Gregory switched shorts at half time during one Valley match. The shorts were numbered, so Went wore 7 in the second half, and Gregory 5. Why they had switched shorts, I have no idea! Men were men in them days!

RIP
  • Such sad news another one of my heroes from the great 68/69 team to pass away.RIP
  • Very sad
  • RIP Paul
  • So sad, another of my Childhood favourites. RIP Wenty
  • edited January 2017
    what !! .. I remember the 19 year old brave as a lion giant, a member of the early 60s team that just missed promotion to the 1st division .. many brutal battles especially against Palace and Millwall .. he must still have been in his 60s ? .. shocker ... RIP Paul

EDIT .. just reminded that he was a giant of the late, not early 60s ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Mametz said:

I'm pretty sure that he made his debut for Orient when he was fifteen and captained them at eighteen. He was part of our fine 68/69 team and if he hadn't been blighted by injury would have gone on to play in the top division.

Sad news. RIP.

I remember him playing very well at The Den v. the scum in 68/69. We still lost though.
  • RIP Paul Went

That team of the late 1960s is getting smaller each year.Some great players came out of that team Paul Went where being one of them.Youth team international England could have captained at one time as well.

He was a (brick shit house) nothing got pass him,a tower of steel and legs that could pull a train.Sad day when transfered to Fulham.

Even sadder day now he has passed away.

This year is going down hill fast.

RIP Paul Went.
  • So sad ..in his prime he was almost too good for Charlton at the time ..played upfront against Millwall once a scored twice if i remember,one of my early footballing heroes ,you think heroes are immortal dont you !

RIP PW
  • He was a very good centre half, I remember with great affection.

RIP Paul.
  • RIP - great player
  • RIP no age another player I remember well.
  • Great player and one of my early hero's. RIP big fella and my thoughts are with your family.