Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Options

iamdan said:

Going to Surrey, I’m told.

The equivalent of leaving Charlton to join Crystal Palace
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

iamdan said:

Do Kent perceive Surrey as their biggest rivals? I would say Sussex see Surrey as their biggest rivals, although those living on the Sussex/Hampshire border seem to see Hampshire as the rivals. Strangely, Sussex fans don't seem to see Kent as rivals.
  • Options

iamdan said:

piss off
  • Options

LenGlover said:

iamdan said:

Do Kent perceive Surrey as their biggest rivals? I would say Sussex see Surrey as their biggest rivals, although those living on the Sussex/Hampshire border seem to see Hampshire as the rivals. Strangely, Sussex fans don't seem to see Kent as rivals.
    I think the Kent and Sussex are friendly rivals and Kent see Surrey as their foes simply because there is a lot of "cross fertilisation" across the Kent/Sussex borders with some Clubs playing in the other county's Leagues and also kids going to school in one and playing cricket in the other especially so in the Tunbridge Wells area. In fact, I know of several cases (admittedly boy/girl) where, in age group cricket, one sibling plays for one county and the other plays for the other.

The other reason for the antagonism towards Surrey rather than Sussex is that the former tends to buy their young "players" whereas Kent/Sussex can't afford to do that!
  • Options
    The Sydney Sixers have signed Joe Denly in the BB for when Roy leaves for England duty along with Billings. They've lost every game so far so Joe isn't exactly under massive pressure to perform.

• Options

LenGlover said:

iamdan said:

I imagine that might depend on which bit of Kent you're from. If you're from the London end then Surrey are far closer. Indeed to me Essex are bigger rivals than Sussex
  • Options

iamdan said:

:wink:
  • Options
    For me, the Kent rivalry goes Surrey then Essex.
    With Sussex no different to the other 15 counties.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    MrOneLung said:

Similar to me as a Sussex supporter:

1) Surrey 2) Hampshire 3) The rest
  • Options
    For me, it was MUCH easier to get a 53 bus from Plumstead Common to the Oval rather than schlepp it all the way to Tonbridge/Canterbury/maidstone, therefore Surrey it was for me.
    I'm sorry we have much more money than Yaow. Apologies.
    Its definitely the cricket equivalent of Millwall (Kent) v Charlton (Surrey), after all, 1) We never beat Kent 2) Millwall don't come from the Old Surrey Road 3) The Valley is much closer to the Oval (9 miles) than Canterbury (73 miles) and 4) The only crowd problems we have at the Oval is when the Kent caravans arrive in force.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only notable rivalry we have is with Middlesex.
  • Options

For me, it was MUCH easier to get a 53 bus from Plumstead Common to the Oval rather than schlepp it all the way to Tonbridge/Canterbury/maidstone, therefore Surrey it was for me.
    Its definitely the cricket equivalent of Millwall (Kent) v Charlton (Surrey), after all, 1) We never beat Kent 2) Millwall don't come from the Old Surrey Road 3) The Valley is much closer to the Oval (9 miles) than Canterbury (73 miles) and 4) The only crowd problems we have at the Oval is when the Kent caravans arrive in force.

At least we don't have dirty great big gas holders as a backdrop on our ground - reminds me of dirt, grime and pollution. And also probably explains why your traditional club colour is brown!
  • Options
    MLSMLS
    edited January 2018
    MrOneLung said:

Agreed. Surrey is a horrible "county", Essex is Essex and Sussex a nice bunch.
  • Options

But then Kent also play elsewhere in the county. These days Beckenham, but in my youth I remember watching a game at Hesketh Park Dartford!

I think you'll find that it's Charlton & Kent (e.g. club legends Ufton and Leary), which means that Surrey should be linked with a Surrey football club, i.e. Crystal Palace :smile:
    Fuck that I would rather be linked with just about anything on the planet than palarce
  • Options

But then Kent also play elsewhere in the county. These days Beckenham, but in my youth I remember watching a game at Hesketh Park Dartford!

I think you'll find that it's Charlton & Kent (e.g. club legends Ufton and Leary), which means that Surrey should be linked with a Surrey football club, i.e. Crystal Palace :smile:
    Micky Stewart played for Charlton.
  • Options
    MLS said:

MrOneLung said:

Agreed. Surrey is a horrible "county", Essex is Essex and Sussex a nice bunch.
    Well, thank you, @MLS. We are a nice bunch. Is the Harveys beer that does it.
  • Options
    Sid O'Linn and, I think, Fred Lucas also played for Kent. I am pretty sure I saw Fred Lucas hit a big score for Blackheath CC in not many balls - I'd go for 150-ish in no time.
  • Options
    Peter Croker was born in Surrey.

Cmon Canters and B72, i feel a bit like Michael Caine at Rorkes Drift here !
  • Options

The valley is in South London.
    The oval is in South London.

Charlton and Surrey it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This. Fuck off Gillingham.
  • Options

Piss off
  • Options
    I must admit both my brothers and my dad (rip) and pretty much all my mates are Kent.
    But my son has seen the light and is Surrey.

You can't beat a one day game at the oval Surrey v Kent
    Love it
  • Options

Piss off
    <3
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I must admit both my brothers and my dad (rip) and pretty much all my mates are Kent.

Love it

Yeah me too, aside from half the crowd (Kent) not having the slightest idea about cricket and just getting smashed out of their boxes(on 3 per cent lager) and parking their caravans in our cul-de-sacs.
  • Options

Love it

SShhhhh, dont tell Riv that you enjoy a one day game.
    I've got visions of Riv walking around The Oval at a 1 day game mooning at everyone with a tattoo of Geoffrey Boycott on one cheek and WG Grace on the other.
  • Options
    Brett Lee (in discussion with Michael Vaughan on the BT commentary last night) gave some really good analysis on Tom Curran's bowling, and why he's not as fast as he could be, with a lack of leap at the point of delivery, and the left arm not driving through. Boycott who followed on commentary was really impressed with Lee's analysis

Typical jammy Surrey, even the Aussie commentators are helping their players!
  • Options
    Kent's first fixture of the 2018 season is a friendly against Hampshire at Canterbury on........15th March!
    Don't think they've thought this through as it clashes with Cheltenham....
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Kent's first fixture of the 2018 season is a friendly against Hampshire at Canterbury on........15th March!

15th March???

I hope the club shop is selling replica woolly hats and gloves!
  • Options

Riviera said:

15th March???

I hope the club shop is selling replica woolly hats and gloves!
    I bet catches that day will sting!