Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Options
    Was at the Cricket Writers' Club Lunch today and witnessed @MrOneLung 's nephew receive the player of the season award.

Many congratulations to him, you must be delighted!

Also saw Sam Northeast but did not have a chance to speak to him about why on earth he hasn't been selected to go to The Ashes!
  • Options
    Indeed, well done to young Mr Porter .
  • Options

Was at the Cricket Writers' Club Lunch today and witnessed @MrOneLung 's nephew receive the player of the season award.

Also saw Sam Northeast but did not have a chance to speak to him about why on earth he hasn't been selected to go to The Ashes!

Did Northeast have a good season, I don’t remember too many big scores or did I miss something?
  • Options

Did Northeast have a good season, I don’t remember too many big scores or did I miss something?
    I think you probably did miss something but, perhaps, his average of over 50 and over 1000 runs didn't include a massive score - unlike Dickson.
  • Options
    SNE 1017 runs at 50.85
    Joe Denly 1165 at 55.48

The big question is whether Div 2 runs are considered of high enough quality, to count for England selection. If they aren't, that means that players from TEN counties are effectively discarded, leaving a pool of players from just 8 counties to be considered.

Incidentally Luke Wells of Sussex scored 1292 at 64.60, and he's another Div 2 player ignored
  • Options

Very proud although I fear I will not be able to persuade him to join Mighty Kent now his head has been turned by this top flight malarkey.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Very proud although I fear I will not be able to persuade him to join Mighty Kent now his head has been turned by this top flight malarkey.
    He'd do well at Surrey mate.
  • Options
    Not on those pitches!!!
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

He'd do well at Surrey mate.
    Another closet Saffer , cants ?

:smile:
  • Options
    I was joking. He'd be mad to come to us from the champions.

I won't rant about Surrey on here as I know it's not the place but believe me I hate the pitches we produce more than any of you. Cost us multiple wins this season.

It's like we have no faith in our players so the only way we believe we can win is to win the toss bat first on a road and let scoreboard pressure do the rest. Of course this breaks down if you don't win the toss. If they produced pitches like the one for the test match this year we woukd win more games and it would be a better spectacle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think you probably did miss something but, perhaps, his average of over 50 and over 1000 runs didn't include a massive score - unlike Dickson.
    That must of been it, seemed every time i checked the scores, he hadn't got many.
  • Options

That must of been it, seemed every time i checked the scores, he hadn't got many.

He got a couple of big scores, a 170 odd and something else similar if I remember rightly.

Arguably his best hundred was the one he scored at Durham against effectively a Div 1 attack
  • Options
    Essex sniffing round Matt Coles:

espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20913221/essex-consider-move-matt-coles

Not sure how I feel about this. On his day he is a top class cricketer but that day doesn't come too often. If we could get someone to replace him with 90% of his talent but 200% of his application I think we would do well. But finding that person is the issue!
  • Options
    Oh surely you've got to get rid if anyone's even remotely interested!
  • Options

Not sure how I feel about this. On his day he is a top class cricketer but that day doesn't come too often. If we could get someone to replace him with 90% of his talent but 200% of his application I think we would do well. But finding that person is the issue!

Get rid
  • Options

I'd be surprised if this was true, this sounds like either a made up story or agent talk, Coles was pretty disappointing really, and not even a guaranteed starter for much of the summer.

Still think he needs to shed some weight
  • Options

I'd be surprised if this was true, this sounds like either a made up story or agent talk, Coles was pretty disappointing really, and not even a guaranteed starter for much of the summer.

Indeed. Coles is a poor man's Stokes at the moment but with a few extra pounds - but sadly for him that's not pounds sterling!
  • Options
    But he averages over 20....
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Bilbo has signed a contract extension
  • Options
    Good news. Makes sure Surrey have one less wk batsman in their team...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So that's both DBD and Billings who are staying, good news though also a reflection of their patchy form!
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Indeed. Coles is a poor man's Stokes at the moment but with a few extra pounds - but sadly for him that's not pounds sterling!
    Coles in first class county championship cricket 2017:

32 wickets at 41.03 304 runs at 21.71 in division 2.

Hardly sets the pulse racing does it?
  • Options
    So this is our squad for next season in all forms of the game:

SNE
    DBD
    Dickson
    Denly
    Blake
    Crawley

Billings
    Rouse
    Robinson

Stevens
    Stewart
    Gidman
    Coles
    Clayton
    Hunn
    Haggett
    Thomas

Riley
    Qayyum
    Tredwell

So 20 in total. Room, however, for a quality bat and a devastatingly good quickie. With those two in the side and a better season from some of our under-performers we should be in the mix in all comps.

Perhaps Donald could find us a couple of decent Kolpaks?
  • Options
    Kent for many years have had a number of medium fast bowlers around the squad, most of which barely feature, quantity rather than quality. The likes of Hunn, Thomas, Hartley, Ball and Bernard barely played, so it's right that the numbers have been thinned down a bit

A big question for the Kent management is what our priority is next season, is it getting promotion from the 2nd division, or doing well in the T20 Blast? It's noticeable how some of the other smaller counties have chosen to concentrate on one format only, in terms of their player recruitment.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    The age range of the squad is interesting too - only two who will be under 24 at the start of next season, 13 of the squad will be in the 24-29 range with five being 33 or over including Stevens who will be 42 in May!

This suggests that whilst we have a good element of players who should be coming to their prime but that age group cricket at the County through to the Academy, have produced very little by way of first class cricketers in the last five or six years - the two under 24, namely Crawley (19) and Robinson (18) have just four competitive games between them.
  • Options

The age range of the squad is interesting too - only two who will be under 24 at the start of next season, 13 of the squad will be in the 24-29 range with five being 33 or over including Stevens who will be 42 in May!

This suggests that whilst we have a good element of players who should be coming to their prime but that age group cricket at the County through to the Academy, have produced very little by way of first class cricketers in the last five or six years - the two under 24, namely Crawley (19) and Robinson (18) have just four competitive games between them.

One we lost was Ryan Davies, still only 20. No idea what's going to happen to him now
  • Options

One we lost was Ryan Davies, still only 20. No idea what's going to happen to him now
    He's going to have to start all over again at a county if he wants to stay in the first class game - an average of less than 15 in all competitions is not going to allow him to get straight into a first team. Which is why Somerset turned to Steven Davies.

I think mistakes were made by both Kent and Ryan himself. Kent should have offered Ryan a contract and Ryan should have looked at the bigger picture - played another season in the 2nd X1 and the chances to replace Billings during the latter's many jaunts away would have presented themselves.

Hindsight is wonderful though!
  • Options

He's going to have to start all over again at a county if he wants to stay in the first class game - an average of less than 15 in all competitions is not going to allow him to get straight into a first team. Which is why Somerset turned to Steven Davies.

I think mistakes were made by both Kent and Ryan himself. Kent should have offered Ryan a contract and Ryan should have looked at the bigger picture - played another season in the 2nd X1 and the chances to replace Billings during the latter's many jaunts away would have presented themselves.

For an 18/19 year old to leave because he was seeking a better chance of playing in the first team was frankly bizarre, especially as Billings was likely to be absent for several games

No idea why Somerset thought he was good/experienced enough to be their first choice keeper at 19, all a bit strange really
  • Options

For an 18/19 year old to leave because he was seeking a better chance of playing in the first team was frankly bizarre, especially as Billings was likely to be absent for several games

No idea why Somerset thought he was good/experienced enough to be their first choice keeper at 19, all a bit strange really
    I suspect that there was. perhaps, an element of panic from Somerset - in a very short time they went from having two international keepers (Buttler and Kieswetter) to having no obvious first class keeper. So, when the current England U19 keeper became available, they thought it might be a good opportunity to entice him away from Kent - although, as I say, Kent were incredibly lax in not offering Ryan a deal beforehand.
  • Options
    Some good news - the ECB have upheld Middlesex's 2 point penalty so they are relegated. Although this will probably make it harder for us to gain promotion.