Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

224-9 Wilson lbw b Harris 97

Gutted for Gaz. He's a proper player and a real team player too often giving his wicket away for the team and more than once declared whole he was in the 90s. That's more than can be said for Steven Davies who always batted for himself and not the team situation and demanded the gloves only to demand not to have them then re demand them. Not the most talented but always gave his all. Led the club at a very tough time. Was treated harshly by Surrey in my opinion. Key to our Div 2 winning year and I'll remember him fondly.

Glad he's doing well over there.
  • Options
    Onto Thursday now, one day game vs Hampshire. Should be a cracker.

Team selection will be interesting, you'd think Claydon will come back in and Blake will be included. Not entirely sure who for though
  • Options

Onto Thursday now, one day game vs Hampshire. Should be a cracker.

Team selection will be interesting, you'd think Claydon will come back in and Blake will be included. Not entirely sure who for though

Agree - reckon Claydon will come in for Harris (not sure if there is such a thing as a Cup tie in this comp but he has had his fair share of injuries).

However not sure that Blake will come in for Dickson - he is not only averaging 50 this season but it would mean SNE batting at 3 and Blake at 4. That is not ideal, in my opinion, for either but more so Blake - and he struggled for runs in the recent 2nd X1 matches he played in.

• Options
    Whats happened to the Charlton fan off-spinner?
  • Options

Adam Riley has had his injury problems in the last couple of years. He's still part of the Kent set up and hopefully we will see more of him as the season progresses. He has yet to play a 2nd X1 game this season but had his first Club game yesterday.
  • Options

England changed his action and he is not the player he was
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The part of 'God' Stevens in this excellent victory speaks for itself with 9 wickets in the match and a 90. However I want to speak about Adam Rouse.

He reminds me of Steve Marsh with his ability to come in at 7 or 8 and shore up the lower order. There was a real danger that game was going to slip away from us but Rouse and partners steadied the ship and enabled us to set an unassailable target.

Marsh had the unenviable task of succeeding arguably Kent and England's greatest ever wicket keeper batsman in Alan Knott (Ames and Evans notwithstanding) and his gutsy qualities enabled him to become a Kent legend in his own right. Rouse has to compete with an excellent batsman in Billings (I don't think Billings is a markedly better keeper if indeed he is better) but his gutsy batting might just enable him to play in his own right in the traditional form of the game anyway.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

The part of 'God' Stevens in this excellent victory speaks for itself with 9 wickets in the match and a 90. However I want to speak about Adam Rouse.

He reminds me of Steve Marsh with his ability to come in at 7 or 8 and shore up the lower order. There was a real danger that game was going to slip away from us but Rouse and partners steadied the ship and enabled us to set an unassailable target.

Marsh had the unenviable task of succeeding arguably Kent and England's greatest ever wicket keeper batsman in Alan Knott (Ames and Evans notwithstanding) and his gutsy qualities enabled him to become a Kent legend in his own right. Rouse has to compete with an excellent batsman in Billings (I don't think Billings is a markedly better keeper if indeed he is better) but his gutsy batting might just enable him to play in his own right in the traditional form of the game anyway.

In wonder if Ryan Davies will regret moving to Somerset, now that he is once again second choice (behind Steve Davies) and without the likelihood of IPL/England call ups giving him the opportunities that Rouse will get at Kent?
  • Options

LenGlover said:

In wonder if Ryan Davies will regret moving to Somerset, now that he is once again second choice (behind Steve Davies) and without the likelihood of IPL/England call ups giving him the opportunities that Rouse will get at Kent?
    Steven Davies is the most overrated player out there. Plays for himself only. Will have one month of a purple patch then won't score anything for the next year and a half. I wouldn't be surprised if he was dropped at some point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davies also has a first class average of 40 - which is more than all of their current side bar two.
  • Options
    Worcs fan here. When Davies left us he was a flashy turncoat. Now he's left Surrey, he's a class act and I hope he scores bucketloads and becomes the first publicly gay man to play a major sport for England (although I'm not sure how he gets in - maybe the T20 side?)
  • Options
    Kent 'anxiety' over new T20 tournament leads to vote abstention:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39693866

• Options
    It is a real shame about Adam Riley, England completely changed his action to enable him to bowl faster and this damaged his confidence. A very good player though. The Kent premier league has a few very good players who should given a chance at 2nd team level.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Worcs fan here. When Davies left us he was a flashy turncoat. Now he's left Surrey, he's a class act and I hope he scores bucketloads and becomes the first publicly gay man to play a major sport for England (although I'm not sure how he gets in - maybe the T20 side?)

He did play for England - but was dropped virtually as soon as he came out. Not that the two are connected.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

It is a real shame about Adam Riley, England completely changed his action to enable him to bowl faster and this damaged his confidence. A very good player though. The Kent premier league has a few very good players who should given a chance at 2nd team level.

He's not the only player to be ruined by England coaching. It does my head in. There should be no need to coach fundamentals to players who are supposedly good enough to represent their country.
    Exactly, at the time he was knocking on England's door as one of the best spinners in the country. The coaches got involved and he has found himself playing for Bexley on a Saturday when he should be playing for Kent on a regular basis.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

The question mark regarding Rousey that I raised earlier this week was about his ability to get meaningful runs in the middle order so I am so pleased for him. Hopefully, he will kick on from here.

Last month Rousey coached Seb at Min Patel's academy and he was absolutely brilliant with him. Seb came away with just the one thing from the session but it has made a big difference to his wicket keeping - Rousey suggested that he shouldn't be quite so "busy". By that he meant that exaggerated movement of the body or hands can be a hindrance.

Seb made his debut on Saturday for Bexley 2s in a friendly and kept as well as I have ever seen him keep do - a catch and two stumpings, no missed chances and just a solitary bye - and it was obvious that Rousey's advice had helped in focusing Seb's mind on the job.

Unfortunately, we are in a "school vs Club" battle at the moment as he got dispensation from the school to play for the Club "as an exception" only. This will mean that he will be restricted 'til the end of the summer term to playing for the 5ths or 6ths (not that I would expect him to be a regular in the 2s at this stage) as the top four teams start between 12.00-12.30 and he wouldn't be able to get there in time. Hopefully, though, he will play again for Kent this season - he will hear in the next couple of weeks as to whether he has been selected again.

It was, nevertheless, a great experience for him to make his 2s debut and thanks to Rousey for helping him. Even better for Seb was that one of his stumpings was captured on camera:

bexleycc.co.uk/photos/
    Bexley is a really good club for development, good to see that your son is doing well there. The first team keeper at Bexley is very good, he would be able to help Seb as well if needed.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

The question mark regarding Rousey that I raised earlier this week was about his ability to get meaningful runs in the middle order so I am so pleased for him. Hopefully, he will kick on from here.

Last month Rousey coached Seb at Min Patel's academy and he was absolutely brilliant with him. Seb came away with just the one thing from the session but it has made a big difference to his wicket keeping - Rousey suggested that he shouldn't be quite so "busy". By that he meant that exaggerated movement of the body or hands can be a hindrance.

Seb made his debut on Saturday for Bexley 2s in a friendly and kept as well as I have ever seen him keep do - a catch and two stumpings, no missed chances and just a solitary bye - and it was obvious that Rousey's advice had helped in focusing Seb's mind on the job.

Unfortunately, we are in a "school vs Club" battle at the moment as he got dispensation from the school to play for the Club "as an exception" only. This will mean that he will be restricted 'til the end of the summer term to playing for the 5ths or 6ths (not that I would expect him to be a regular in the 2s at this stage) as the top four teams start between 12.00-12.30 and he wouldn't be able to get there in time. Hopefully, though, he will play again for Kent this season - he will hear in the next couple of weeks as to whether he has been selected again.

It was, nevertheless, a great experience for him to make his 2s debut and thanks to Rousey for helping him. Even better for Seb was that one of his stumpings was captured on camera:

bexleycc.co.uk/photos/
    Bexley is a really good club for development, good to see that your son is doing well there. The first team keeper at Bexley is very good, he would be able to help Seb as well if needed.
    Indeed Stids is - in fact probably the best in the KCL in my opinion. But they also have now Matt Cross, the Scotland keeper and MMC Young Cricketers captain who will be mentoring Seb over the course of the summer. Stids will keep the gloves though as he has been in situ for the last four seasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LenGlover said:

bexleycc.co.uk/photos/
    Indeed Stids is - in fact probably the best in the KCL in my opinion. But they also have now Matt Cross, the Scotland keeper and MMC Young Cricketers captain who will be mentoring Seb over the course of the summer. Stids will keep the gloves though as he has been in situ for the last four seasons.
    I used to play with stids when I actually played cricket, good to see that Bexley have made some additions to the squad.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I'm glad their taking a stance. But what is the point in abstaining?

With half the counties votes decided for them anyway those who don't want it should certainly vote against it.
  • Options

Leuth said:

He did play for England - but was dropped virtually as soon as he came out. Not that the two are connected.
    Not quite true. He was dropped first then came out publicly a few months after. The cynic in me thought the timing of it had something to do with keeping his name in the media and in selectors minds.

Never quite good enough though.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

He's not the only player to be ruined by England coaching. It does my head in. There should be no need to coach fundamentals to players who are supposedly good enough to represent their country.
    He was involved in the wider England setup far too early as well, especially for a spinner. It's like young footballers having one good season in the Premier League and being linked to England callups
  • Options

Why on earth are we abstaining and not voting against? This is likely to destroy Kent. On something so crucial I am surprised they didn't take more account of the opinion of members.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39721055

Rouse signs contract extension. The article doesn't say how long for
  • Options

Good news.
  • Options

The cricket equivalent of "Undisclosed" signing in football.