Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Ipswich 1983 highlights on BT sport now

2»

Comments

• I was there, my Dad made us leave early when 2-1 up, don't think he was used to the big crowds and wanted to get away. Ipswich were a top side those days.
  • 82-83 was my first real season watching Charlton and it was dramatic to say the least. On the final round of matches any three of the bottom TEN Division Two clubs could've gone down. We beat Bolton 4-1 and stayed up....sending Bolton down (for those not there, we we 1-0 down with half hour to go.....). We had goals in the team....Hales, White, Robinson, Simonsen but had the worst defence in the Division (we conceded something like 85 !! ).

Even stranger was that Palace played at home to Burnley in their last game, on the Tuesday following everybody else's last games. I went to that....22,000 at Selhurst. Palace won 1-0 and stayed up.....Burnley went down.
  • Just looked it up.....Ipswich finished 9th in Division One in 82-83.
  • Remember this game well. They really were a top side (we played them in the cup a couple of years before and they whipped us).

We thought we could spring a surprise and almost did. But class told in the end (that and a dodgy ref). Thanks for reminder of Les Berry. Addick through and through. His testimonial game is still the 'Best' I have ever been to.
  • edited January 2017
    This was my third ever Charlton game. In what would have turned out to be the most disastrous piece of gloryhunting ever I was an Ipswich fan at the time and attended the game wearing an Ipswich scarf. As we approsched the ground I informed my dad that I was going in the Ipswich end and would meet him after the game. Quite bold for an 11 year old. His response was, 'No you bloody won't'.
    After the game, on the way back to the car, I took my Ipswich scarf off and told my dad that I supported Charlton now.
  • The sad news of the death of Kevin Beattie reminded me of this match and I discovered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUv2EmPmSyw

Beattie wasn't playing but plenty of the other big names were.
  • Beattie did play against us that year for Middlesbrough in Simonsen's first game .
  • Went to this, night of my 21st party, arrived late with a few mates, heard both Charlton goals walking down Floyd Rd, massive racket, much more than 18,000 I reckon