Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rome weekend away- Places to see/Getting football tickets advice

edited January 2017 in Not Sports Related
Ive booked to go to Rome in March and want to go to a game whilst im out there. Does anyone know what the best way is to buy Roma match tickets? Ive looked on their website which isnt very helpful.

Comments

• Options
    cafc4life said:

Ive booked to go to Rome in March and want to go to a game whilst im out there. Does anyone know what the best way is to buy Roma match tickets? Ive looked on their website which isnt very helpful.

Their ticket office on the day will suffice.
  • Options
    heading out to rome in feb, got tickets for ireland italy in 6 nations mrs xmas present, any tips on best way to do the sites etc, places to eat/see?

any tips welcomed
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    If you want to go to the Vatican then pay to join a guided tour. You will be able to walk straight in and jump the 2-3 hour queue. All hotels have details of these tours and can book them for you
  • Options

If you want to go to the Vatican then pay to join a guided tour. You will be able to walk straight in and jump the 2-3 hour queue. All hotels have details of these tours and can book them for you

Ditto Coliseum.
  • Options
    Who are Roma playing? They never sell out so just buy in one of their Roma stores the day beforehand, there is one near the Trevi fountain.

Ticketone also sell Roma tickets and are easy to use, they let you print at home. That's good if you want the security of a ticket before travelling.
  • Options
    I got tickets on the day to see Lazio play AC Milan when I went out there. It was in 1992 though.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Go to the Roma store in the city centre and buy them there. You'll need your passport with you though, as well as those who are also going (as you do at the stadium - went in October and checked twice before allowed in the ground).
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    In light of the increased security getting into Italian games in the last decade or so, has the atmosphere suffered? Is it becoming as sanitised as our top tier? I've not watched on TV since the Channel 4 Gazetta days so am a bit out of touch.

Rome derby has always been on my list, but in light of the fact they are probably hard (expensive) to get, what other fixtures against Roma or Lazio would people recommend for a good atmosphere, as I appreciate that, like here, it's not always the obvious 'top team' fixtures that produce the most lively atmosphere.

On a similar note what is the away support set up like in Italy? What kind of numbers are allocated? And taken?

Cheers.
  • Options

In light of the increased security getting into Italian games in the last decade or so, has the atmosphere suffered? Is it becoming as sanitised as our top tier? I've not watched on TV since the Channel 4 Gazetta days so am a bit out of touch.

Rome derby has always been on my list, but in light of the fact they are probably hard (expensive) to get, what other fixtures against Roma or Lazio would people recommend for a good atmosphere, as I appreciate that, like here, it's not always the obvious 'top team' fixtures that produce the most lively atmosphere.

On a similar note what is the away support set up like in Italy? What kind of numbers are allocated? And taken?

Cheers.

Went to Lazio vs Juventus last December, and Juve must have taken at least 3,000 to that game. Most of the atmosphere came from the away fans, although that might be partly due to how the match went. Lots of security getting into the ground, the stadium is nice but in need of a refurb.
  • Options
    Italy not easy when you go to buy tickets and to match you must take passport or driving license.

In Rome I always eat in Navorne Platza
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to Atalanta v Roma, Chievo v Cagliari, and Inter v AC all in one weekend, and the atmosphere is still electric. Fans are passionate, and the football was top class.

Rome is on my list for this year hopefully, so let us know how you get on!
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Cheers.

Atmospheres aren’t as intimidating as Serie A’s peak in the 90s but it’s still a far more raw and lively football experience than here. The older stadiums help that, people still smuggle in all sorts, and you don’t get stewards in the ultras’ curvas.

I wouldn’t do a Rome derby for a while. Roma’s fans have been boycotting for ages because a wide staircase and fences were put through the heart of their curva. The derby a month ago was nowhere near sold out. The Milan derby is easy for tickets and Genoa v Samp is arguably Europe’s most underrated clash. Both teams are very colourful, loud and love a massive flag or 200.

To be honest, away support is poor apart from for the big clubs. It’s a far bigger country though and these days there are hoops you have to jump through to obtain tickets. They also have more games on TV.

I’ll keep going back, Napoli in November was my 10th football visit. If you visit the north then always look to get in an extra game or 2.

Edit (missed this bit): Both Rome sides dislike Napoli (Roma massively so), Juve are hated (again, Roma in particular), then for Lazio it will be a little more spicy when facing a left-wing club like Bologna, Livorno or Fiorentina. Atalanta are also lefties historically and have a reputation for hooliganism.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Who are Roma playing? They never sell out so just buy in one of their Roma stores the day beforehand, there is one near the Trevi fountain.

Ticketone also sell Roma tickets and are easy to use, they let you print at home. That's good if you want the security of a ticket before travelling.

Sassuolo.

Thanks everyone for the advice
  • Options
    For anyone looking for a place to eat in Rome, my Italian colleagues recommended 'trattoria vecchia roma' to me.
    It is incredible, local fare & great value.
  • Options
    We used Dark Rome Tours for the sights and Lista Ticket or something along those lines for match tickets.

Both would recommend to anyone going to Rome.
  • Options

For anyone looking for a place to eat in Rome, my Italian colleagues recommended 'trattoria vecchia roma' to me.
    It is incredible, local fare & great value.

Do they do pizza?
  • Options
    It's always like going through airport security to see a match in Italy and you have to bring some form of ID either passport or drivers licence. At the Juventus Stadium your ticket gets checked at one control point by two people, then you go through get searched, then you go to the turnstiles to get your ticket scanned. Always a good idea to start to que at least an hour before kick off, once inside you can't beat the atmosphere!
  • Options

It's always like going through airport security to see a match in Italy and you have to bring some form of ID either passport or drivers licence. At the Juventus Stadium your ticket gets checked at one control point by two people, then you go through get searched, then you go to the turnstiles to get your ticket scanned. Always a good idea to start to que at least an hour before kick off, once inside you can't beat the atmosphere!

And then you get inside and there is no security and everyone has smuggled in all sorts.

Having said that, the lack of security inside does help make it a raw atmosphere and much better than watching premier league games for me.
  • Options
    Went to Rome derby a couple of years ago. Great atmosphere inside. Plenty of smoke bombs, people scaling fences that divide fans and bifters being passed around.

Comments from RedPansa above explain why it wasn't anywhere near full.

Bought tickets from an online service the day before the game. Collected from an office somewhere. 45 min queue to collect. Self printing sounds a good idea in comparison
  • Options

Ditto Coliseum.
    Not long til I go Rome. How do I go about booking tickets for Colluseum and Vatican mate? or isit best to wait until I'm there? Don't wanna spend hours queuing for things If I can help it as we are only there for 3 full days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We booked our though our hotel when we got there. They are nearly all linked to local tour and guide companies.
    I'm sure all the hotels do but just in case, drop your hotel an email and ask .
  • Options
    oldbloke said:

In Rome I always eat in Navorne Platza

I thought Hans Gruber blew it up?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I don't think anyone else has said this already - Make sure you take photo ID with you if you make it to a football match, even if you have the ticket in advance. Driving license was fine for me.

Edit: Just seen that two others have said this. Ctrl+F let me down.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Ditto Coliseum.
    Not long til I go Rome. How do I go about booking tickets for Colluseum and Vatican mate? or isit best to wait until I'm there? Don't wanna spend hours queuing for things If I can help it as we are only there for 3 full days.
    Guessing but have you contacted your hotel as they might be able to help.

My wife went to Rome with her cousin 18 months ago and the queues were horrendous.
  • Options

cafc4life said:

Ditto Coliseum.
    Guessing but have you contacted your hotel as they might be able to help.

My wife went to Rome with her cousin 18 months ago and the queues were horrendous.
    i will look into that now
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    We got Roma Passes......gets you into where you want to go at a discount without queues.

Try not to punch the selfie stick sellers.

Edit - Think we had to book the Vatican visit separately.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Cheers.

Atmospheres aren’t as intimidating as Serie A’s peak in the 90s but it’s still a far more raw and lively football experience than here. The older stadiums help that, people still smuggle in all sorts, and you don’t get stewards in the ultras’ curvas.

I wouldn’t do a Rome derby for a while. Roma’s fans have been boycotting for ages because a wide staircase and fences were put through the heart of their curva. The derby a month ago was nowhere near sold out. The Milan derby is easy for tickets and Genoa v Samp is arguably Europe’s most underrated clash. Both teams are very colourful, loud and love a massive flag or 200.

To be honest, away support is poor apart from for the big clubs. It’s a far bigger country though and these days there are hoops you have to jump through to obtain tickets. They also have more games on TV.

I’ll keep going back, Napoli in November was my 10th football visit. If you visit the north then always look to get in an extra game or 2.

Edit (missed this bit): Both Rome sides dislike Napoli (Roma massively so), Juve are hated (again, Roma in particular), then for Lazio it will be a little more spicy when facing a left-wing club like Bologna, Livorno or Fiorentina. Atalanta are also lefties historically and have a reputation for hooliganism.
    always found it funny that Lazio look on Fiorentina as a lefty club. the fact that Fiorentina was founded by members of the national fascist party.

agree about Atlanta. little but a right nawty bunch.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Ditto Coliseum.
    Dark Rome Tours were fantastic for us and can get all booked on before you go.
  • Options
    just back, lovely weather ireland chalked up a big win so the mrs was happy, regards entrance fees just qued for st peters basilica took about 15 mins, the sistine chapel and museum, q'd for about 20 mins and paid normal entrance and coliseum we went to yesterday and bought standard tickets, wasnt that impressed with coliseum, fave bit was the altar of the fatherland, which you can pay 7 euro to get a lift up to the top and look out over rome.
  • Options

Ditto Coliseum.
    Both times I went I've just gone to the ticket office at the forum/palatine, bought tickets that include entrance to the coloseeum, done the forum/palatine and walked straight into the coloseeum.

Never found the queue for the vatican that bad either if you time it well.