Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Liquidated

Big city team.
Recently relegated.
Crowds down.
27000 plus capacity ground.
Huge record attendance & potential.

Bradford Bulls (formerly Northern) liquidated today.

Comments

• Charlton played there in the 80s
  • Last time I went to Bradford it looked like the whole town had been liquidated. Most of it was boarded up and falling down.
  • DRAddick said:

Last time I went to Bradford it looked like the whole town had been liquidated. Most of it was boarded up and falling down.

just like Woolwich
  • second strata Rugby League is a (or should be) strictly semi-pro operation, even the teams with a few exceptions, in the top RL division struggle to survive ..
    Bradford had a BIG overhead and on the field the club declined rapidly over the past decade or so, they were a major force, alas no more ..
    now Leeds and Huddersfield are the 'top' teams in Yorkshire .. a lesson re good husbandry and financial prudence
  • DRAddick said:

Last time I went to Bradford it looked like the whole town had been liquidated. Most of it was boarded up and falling down.

just like Woolwich
    You've not been to Woolwich for a while if you think that.

DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich
    was there in November not a thought, an opinion .. I was NOT impressed .. I was also in Bradford for our away game, to state that most of the city is boarded up is (errrrrr politely), rubbish
  • DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich

DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich
    was there in November not a thought, an opinion .. I was NOT impressed .. I was also in Bradford for our away game, to state that most of the city is boarded up is (errrrrr politely), rubbish
    Ahh but you probably missed Woolwich Village...
  • I was at the away game too. The city centre is nowhere near as bad as people make out. Went to some excellent craft beer/real ale pubs. There were a couple of closed shops, but the centre of the city was nice.

They did have an issue a couple of years ago, where a major firm rebuilding part of town went bust (it was a horror show then)
  • second strata Rugby League is a (or should be) strictly semi-pro operation, even the teams with a few exceptions, in the top RL division struggle to survive ..
    Bradford had a BIG overhead and on the field the club declined rapidly over the past decade or so, they were a major force, alas no more ..
    now Leeds and Huddersfield are the 'top' teams in Yorkshire .. a lesson re good husbandry and financial prudence

Yes, last season bar Bradford and Leigh,everyone was semi pro in the second tier.

Are H'field not dependant on a benefactor?

Hull were the top side in Yorkshire last year, top of the league in the regular season and Challenge cup winners. Wakefield and Castleford were also above Leeds and H'field.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2017

DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich

DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich
    I stayed for the weekend near the ground, not just visited the ground and the city centre for a few hours. The city centre may be doing ok but the shops and pubs and many houses outside the centre were as I described. Whole streets with pretty much every pub and shop boarded up. Run down council estates with many boarded up properties. There are many places throughout the country like it but it was pretty depressing.
  • ChiAddick said:

DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich

DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich
    Ahh but you probably missed Woolwich Village...
    errr enlighten me .. I know Blackheath Village and Greenwich Village .. is Woollie Ville the 20 sq. yards that has been 'gentrified' ? ((:>) .. anyway, the way that London is stretching out along the Thames, Woolwich will soon be a suburb of Bloomsbury ..
    and diverging a bit/s lot from the woes of the Bradford Bulls, I was surprised and pleased at the gentrification and improvement further along the road in Chatham .. very nice place now
  • edited January 2017
    Is this some sort of rugby team ?
  • DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich

DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich
    I stayed for the weekend near the ground, not just visited the ground and the city centre for a few hours. The city centre may be doing ok but the shops and pubs and many houses outside the centre were as I described. Whole streets with pretty much every pub and shop boarded up. Run down council estates with many boarded up properties. There are many places throughout the country like it but it was pretty depressing.
    DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich

DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich
    I agree .. but one can fall into the trap of only remembering the bad scenes and sites as one travels around .. I know that many of the northern inner cities are old and crumbling, as indeed are some further south .. however in the periphery and the new 'suburbs' where many of the dwellers in the old 'ruins' now live, life is a lot better, although, of course, some people given a mansion would soon convert it into a slum .. many older town centres really need demolishing followed by a total rebuild .. of course lack of development funding and sentiment for all things 'old' hinder 'improvement' all too often
  • edited January 2017

second strata Rugby League is a (or should be) strictly semi-pro operation, even the teams with a few exceptions, in the top RL division struggle to survive ..

Yes, last season bar Bradford and Leigh,everyone was semi pro in the second tier.

Are H'field not dependant on a benefactor?

Hull were the top side in Yorkshire last year, top of the league in the regular season and Challenge cup winners. Wakefield and Castleford were also above Leeds and H'field.
    t b h I didn't know that the teams you mention were above Leeds and Hudd .. I had forgotten Hull who have made a big revival ... Hull K R are struggling again, were they not relegated and Salford stayed up ? .. is Hudd not 'owned' by the same people who own the football club ? .. the clubs that share stadia like Hudd, Wigan and Hull and Leeds are at a big advantage regarding overhead ? , however, I fear that without skysports cash, professional rugby league would not exist .. then again that's probably true for county cricket and pro football

• Yes Hull KR were relegated. At the end of the regular season, H'field, Leeds, Salford and Hull KR went into the qualifiers with the top 4 teams from the second tier. With 4 teams from the qualifiers going into this seasons Super League. Top 3 of the qualifiers plus the winners of the 4th and 5th place playoff.

Hull KR played H'field at home in the last game of the qualifiers, winner finishes 3rd and loser finishes 4th and into the playoff. Hull KR lost. Hull KR then played Salford at home in the playoff. Hull KR looked safe as Salford went into the final 2 minutes needing to score twice. Salford scored twice and the match went into golden point extra time. Salford scored an early drop goal from miles away to win and relegate Hull KR amidst 'lively' scenes.
  • edited January 2017

Yes Hull KR were relegated. At the end of the regular season, H'field, Leeds, Salford and Hull KR went into the qualifiers with the top 4 teams from the second tier. With 4 teams from the qualifiers going into this seasons Super League. Top 3 of the qualifiers plus the winners of the 4th and 5th place playoff.

Hull KR played H'field at home in the last game of the qualifiers, winner finishes 3rd and loser finishes 4th and into the playoff. Hull KR lost. Hull KR then played Salford at home in the playoff. Hull KR looked safe as Salford went into the final 2 minutes needing to score twice. Salford scored twice and the match went into golden point extra time. Salford scored an early drop goal from miles away to win and relegate Hull KR amidst 'lively' scenes.

Yes Hull KR were relegated. At the end of the regular season, H'field, Leeds, Salford and Hull KR went into the qualifiers with the top 4 teams from the second tier. With 4 teams from the qualifiers going into this seasons Super League. Top 3 of the qualifiers plus the winners of the 4th and 5th place playoff.

so both Hudd and Leeds had to fight through convoluted play offs to retain premier status ? .. woooow .. how the mighty have fallen .. I know Leeds lost a lot of experienced players recently Sinfield, Peacock etc ..
    The trouble now of course is that Rugby Union is attracting more and more talented games players from the north .. since going pro, RU's development has been tremendous, even so there are still only 'a few' top clubs in that sport ..
    I daresay a new Bradford team will emerge and in a few years may well get back to the top .. although with a huge Asian population which does not especially support RL, Bradford City FC attracting bigish crowds as does Leeds FC, even playing in the summer any Bradford RL team will find it hard to attract new fans

ASIDE ... when I 'quote' others posts .. it's like New York, New York .. so good it comes up twice
  • Have a very soft spot for the Robins (Wonder why) and called in on Craven Park in August. Hope they bounce back at the first attempt.
  • BDL said:

Have a very soft spot for the Robins (Wonder why) and called in on Craven Park in August. Hope they bounce back at the first attempt.

Guess you enjoyed the song they run out to, the only other team in sport to do so?

@Lincsaddick may be a new team next week, playing at the same ground debt free!

Yes Leeds went from Champions to qualifiers in one year.
  • BDL said:

Have a very soft spot for the Robins (Wonder why) and called in on Craven Park in August. Hope they bounce back at the first attempt.

I worked over in Hull a few years back ... two 'ladies' who worked in the same organisation as myself had to be separated when things got out of hand over a drink or two one 'celebratory night' .. one had referred to Craven Park as 'Caravan Park', the Hull KR follower was not amused .. good news is, they soon made up .. girls will be girls
  • Sponsored links:

• BDL said:

Guess you enjoyed the song they run out to, the only other team in sport to do so?

@Lincsaddick may be a new team next week, playing at the same ground debt free!

Yes Leeds went from Champions to qualifiers in one year.
    nothing new there then .. the wonders of capitalism and company/insolvency law

• In fairness I don't think they owned the ground prior to liquidation. Think the RFL own it.

• Charlton played there in the 80s

Proper Charlton fans went to this Tuesday night game.

Held here because of the Valley Parade fire.

• @Leeds_Addick Agree, was converted when the Broncos played at the Valley. Haven't made the trip over to see them for a few years though and doubt I will sadly given the location of their ground.
  • BDL said:

was converted when the Broncos played at the Valley.

That must have been one hell of a kick. Covered End or Jimmy Seed stand?

• edited January 2017
    Addickted said:

Charlton played there in the 80s

Indeed. Unfortunately Tom Morris didn't (although he is definitely a proper Charlton fan) so there are no pictures. I've tried to find some in the past. Just too early for video too.

My recollection is of being a long way from the pitch.
  • It was. It was also a bit exposed being in a bowl type arena.

I'll try and dig out the programme.
  • DRAddick said:

just like Woolwich
    and Grimbo

• Addickted said:

Charlton played there in the 80s

I was there, seem to remember it was massive but only had 3 sides.