Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Virgin V6 Box

Virgin Media have recently released their new box called a V6. I presume this is their competition to SKY Q. I was wondering if anyone has upgraded to this and what they thought of it.

Comments

• Christ, having googled it, it looks like Virgin have pulled a designer in from the 80s to come up with a brick-looking device like that.
    The specs look pretty good though.
  • My Tivo box has been as slow as our midfield recently, might explain with this coming out.
  • My Tivo box has been as slow as our midfield recently, might explain with this coming out.

Unplug it occasionally & leave for a minute before plugging back in. It takes 5 mins to start up again, but it speeds it up.

Unplug it occasionally & leave for a minute before plugging back in. It takes 5 mins to start up again, but it speeds it up.
    Speedup only lasts for a while thought, then goes back to being ponderous.
    V6 Box might be worth a call to Customer Relations though- some price deals available, some charge £14.95 'connection fee', some don't. I'll see if I can below £49.95 with XL package...
  • With this new box are Virgin changing from a rental agreement to a sale agreement? I heard that they are planning to change so that any maintenance/repair/call-out will be charged to you, rather than free with the rental as it is now.
  • Jesus. Size of it!!

I've had my issues with Virgin but they offered me a really decent pack for not much a month so stuck with them. Was all set for Sky but needed to get a professional aerial fitter to fit the dish as the Sky engineers wouldn't climb on my New extension roof so thought balls to it.

TiVo is really clunky and not a patch on the sky system I know.

Be interested to hear views on this new box.
  • Not sure if there's any benefit from being able to record multiple programmes at the same time while watching another channel as I can never find 1 programme I want to watch let alone 4 at the same time
  • Due to have my V6 installed next week. I anticipate problems with the installation though as they will want to move the 'superhub' next to the tv. It's currently on the first floor next to the computer. I'm not keen on them drilling more holes through walls after the mess they made last time.
    Virgin don't have any UHD channels yet.
    Also the V6 does not have to be visible. You can use the remote with the V6 hidden in a cabinet somewhere. Apparently!
  • I spoke to a Virgin engineer recently who'd had a V6 for a number of months. No problems with it plus very fast to respond.

To clear the cache on a Tivo, press and hold the reset button until lots of lights flash. It will need doing every 2/3 weeks. There is an update to fix the slowness problem but it is being rolled out slowly.
  • I have a V6 box the main reason is I have become completely frustrated with BTs slow internet speeds went to BT fibre was 50 Mbps but slowed to 15 - 20 Mbps. Virgin comes with reliable 200 Mbps and often on speed test I will get 220 mbps internet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Love my TiVo box deciding I'd rather watch the news than the darts yesterday! Mine has been slow of late too. Preferred my old virgin plus to be honest.
  • edited January 2017

Not sure if there's any benefit from being able to record multiple programmes at the same time while watching another channel as I can never find 1 programme I want to watch let alone 4 at the same time

I know what you mean, we got two TiVo boxes in the house. It's not for Mrs GA and quite often there's a total of 6 red lights recording.
  • Hex said:

I spoke to a Virgin engineer recently who'd had a V6 for a number of months. No problems with it plus very fast to respond.

To clear the cache on a Tivo, press and hold the reset button until lots of lights flash. It will need doing every 2/3 weeks. There is an update to fix the slowness problem but it is being rolled out slowly.

No update needed. It just has really really old hardware.
  • Hex said:

I spoke to a Virgin engineer recently who'd had a V6 for a number of months. No problems with it plus very fast to respond.

No update needed. It just has really really old hardware.
    They never used to be this slow so it's not the hardware. Rumour is its the Series Link+ enhancements. The only hardware issue (my guess) is slowness using the remote. Do the same think via my iPad and it's fast.
  • edited January 2017
    Good god, just Googled this. Who in their right mind signed off on that monstrosity? Its ugly as sin, looks huge and the remote looks equally as bulky. Storage is 1TB as well - half the size of Sky Q.

Will be sticking with Sky Q.
  • Good god, just Googled this. Who in their right mind signed off on that monstrosity? Its ugly as sin, looks huge and the remote looks equally as bulky. Storage is 1TB as well - half the size of Sky Q.

Will be sticking with Sky Q.

Sky Q is 1TB or 2TB plus slaves that have no storage. V6 is 1TB per box and you can daisy chain multiple V6s.
  • Have none of you looked at the rear shot of the box? Either the ports are huge or the box is quite small, I'd guess 15cm by 20cm and therefore looks overly thick.

Look at this link, box is no deeper than the remote is long, if not less.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.stuff.tv/news/virgin-media-goes-4k-new-v6-tivo-box?_format=amp?client=ms-android-motorola