Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ELITE SPORTS COACHES: SOUTHGATE, WOODWARD &; JUDY MURRAY ... 5LIVE

Interviews and opinions from the above .. good stuff even if the programme is an hour long.
For me Judy Murray's opinions and experience (1/2 an hour in) are the most interesting, especially her views on 'spoilt' young footballers .. but all in all I found all the contributors (Matthew Syed is also on the panel) to be very knowledgeable, concise and eloquent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b086t9h3

(should be posted under 'other sports', the site did not let me choose a topic category)

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Lincs, enjoyed this. The main aspect I took out of it is that of "ownership of the sportsman's journey" - the idea that too many, especially footballers, think that they have made it when, in reality, the individual is a long way from doing so.

The question as to whether the Murrays would have "made it" without Mum was covered well - the lack of facilities and heavy costs involved mean that we are selecting from a very small pool in tennis suggest that, in ordinary circumstances, they wouldn't have.

I feel fortunate that my son has such a passion for sport because it is that which makes him strive to get better. Whether he ultimately does get to the top will not be for the want of effort or talent but down to whether he can handle the pressure of trying to get and stay there. And it is that strong mentality that ultimately is the difference Either way, he will still be the same kind boy and if that lack of a "clinical edge" proves to be his undoing then so be it.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Thanks Lincs, enjoyed this. The main aspect I took out of it is that of "ownership of the sportsman's journey" - the idea that too many, especially footballers, think that they have made it when, in reality, the individual is a long way from doing so.

The question as to whether the Murrays would have "made it" without Mum was covered well - the lack of facilities and heavy costs involved mean that we are selecting from a very small pool in tennis suggest that, in ordinary circumstances, they wouldn't have.

I feel fortunate that my son has such a passion for sport because it is that which makes him strive to get better. Whether he ultimately does get to the top will not be for the want of effort or talent but down to whether he can handle the pressure of trying to get and stay there. And it is that strong mentality that ultimately is the difference Either way, he will still be the same kind boy and if that lack of a "clinical edge" proves to be his undoing then so be it.

great post .. pleased that you enjoyed the programme .. I also thought it was excellent, no joking about, no bullshit or self praise, just dedicated and talented people giving their opinions and advice .. this sort of broadcast proves to me that the BBC, despite what I perceive as a few shortcomings recently, is still a superb broadcaster

@Addick Addict .. and good luck to your son in his career
  • Options
    Thanks, I've downloaded that will listen to it later