Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt returns (a wishful thinking thread)

Comments

• Options
    I have to say his goals at the start and the holding up of the ball against Forest made him one of my favourite players almost immediately.

However, he arrived with a reputation and it was suggested that British football (and being in Britain) was what he needed and he should enable him to settle with us. He didn't and moved out on loan twice and neither club kept him and then it was suggested that going back to Scotland was the answer - and it wasn't.

There is a lot more to being a professional footballer than just having the natural talent and, sadly, I don't believe he has what it takes. I suspect that he is enjoying the last long term contract and I think his career might end up being a handful of short term deals before the world of football gives up on him.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near the first team and it sounds like KR has made that decision by starting off by making Watt keen to avoid coming back. Hopefully he will agree to less than all the wages he is due to leave. I can see that being a little difficult, however, as I'm not sure anyone will actually commit to giving him a contract.
  • Options

Tony Watt is set to be put through a gruelling fitness test on his Charlton Athletic return – with boss Karl Robinson revealing he tried to sign the Scottish striker while in charge at Milton Keynes.

The 23-year-old was loaned to Hearts at the start of August and has made 17 appearances, scoring once.

But Watt is returning to South London.

The question is whether he can still have a part to play for Charlton. Previous loans to Cardiff City and Blackburn Rovers contained potential permanent deals.

Robinson said: “He’s going to come in and I’m going to run the legs off him – make him sweat and cry – to see whether he has got the balls to play for me.

“That’s the top and the bottom of it.

“There’s so many questions about Tony Watt – his attitude and desire – but no-one in this football world would ever question his talent. I tried to sign him 12 months ago in this window. I’m not too sure Charlton know that.

“But he has got to come back and apologise for certain things and he has to endear himself to the fans, me and the club. If you want to play football then come to a club that is going places – with great young players, great fans and great desire.

“Come and prove me wrong. Try and come and be the best player in the league.

“We need to bring him back for testing and I’ll see in that testing if he’s got the application to be here.”

This is I think top draw from Robinson. Leaves no doubt in Watts mind where he stands. It's basically a challange to Watts professional pride. If he can't rise to it he might as well chuck it in. It also lays it out for every other manager out there. Watt can't make it back with us then it's going to be very difficult for him to get a gig.

Well done Karl

The gruelling fitness test is probably a race with Southend Physio to the nearest pie and mash shop.
    Bleep test with JJ.
  • Options

Tony Watt is set to be put through a gruelling fitness test on his Charlton Athletic return – with boss Karl Robinson revealing he tried to sign the Scottish striker while in charge at Milton Keynes.

The 23-year-old was loaned to Hearts at the start of August and has made 17 appearances, scoring once.

The question is whether he can still have a part to play for Charlton. Previous loans to Cardiff City and Blackburn Rovers contained potential permanent deals.

Robinson said: “He’s going to come in and I’m going to run the legs off him – make him sweat and cry – to see whether he has got the balls to play for me.

“There’s so many questions about Tony Watt – his attitude and desire – but no-one in this football world would ever question his talent. I tried to sign him 12 months ago in this window. I’m not too sure Charlton know that.

“But he has got to come back and apologise for certain things and he has to endear himself to the fans, me and the club. If you want to play football then come to a club that is going places – with great young players, great fans and great desire.

“We need to bring him back for testing and I’ll see in that testing if he’s got the application to be here.”

This is I think top draw from Robinson. Leaves no doubt in Watts mind where he stands. It's basically a challange to Watts professional pride. If he can't rise to it he might as well chuck it in. It also lays it out for every other manager out there. Watt can't make it back with us then it's going to be very difficult for him to get a gig.

Well done Karl

I'm sure peeps at games have said Ajose doesn't run his legs off!!! Or is he working harder under Robinson?
  • Options
    What legs?
  • Options

Well done Karl

The gruelling fitness test is probably a race with Southend Physio to the nearest pie and mash shop.
    Bleep test with JJ.
    I'm sure Jacko won the bleep test in pre season early training! Or that may be your point ? Run TW with Jacko and see how long he lasts
  • Options
    Haha, that was Slade's first go at media for us....

He was asked whether the JJ group was the first group or the second and he said that it it unfortunately it was not the top group.

If JJ was winning the bleep test against the whole squad, we would be in a different place in the league.
  • Options
    How many chances is this geezer gonna get?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

How many chances is this geezer gonna get?

I suspect this is his last one.
  • Options
    Watt has been sent back as Hearts don't want him so KR got him whether he wants him or not.

He knows Watt has been a problem before hence the talk of apologies and is setting out the ground rules from the start.

Doesn't sound like playing him is a priority for KR.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think so
  • Options
    Hearts must have been paying all or some of his wages. With him back might limit our transfer budget even more. Not going to repeat what nearly everyone has said re his talent v attitude but I think we could do without him in the dressing room. Can only end in tears.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm happy he is back - You can't replace Lookman easily, but with Tony Watt you can actually improve the team. I'm not saying he is better -Lookman is a terrific prospect, but Watt is simply too good for this league. Ok, his attitude may be off, but the manager has to take a bit more of the slack if the player is worth having, and those of us who saw Watt when he joined us surely can see he is worth having. We saw him destroy teams far better than the teams we face every week now on his own. That wasn't so long ago. Even if it does go wrong, if Robinson can get the rest of the season out of him, we are going to be pretty hard to stop.

Now what does the bloke do? Shrug his shoulders and give up! The clue in the interview was the bit about him trying to sign him. He knows what he can do and what he can bring to the team. Sometimes you need the right managers for certain players. I think we might have the right manager for this one. I have mentioned before, but Curbs always had a strict rule on the temperament of players, but when a player was worth it he broke that rule. Not often, but when he could see that it was an opportunity and he had to. I suspect he had to alter his style a bit with DiCanio but it paid off - even if it was only for one season!
  • Options

I'm happy he is back - You can't replace Lookman easily, but with Tony Watt you can actually improve the team. I'm not saying he is better -Lookman is a terrific prospect, but Watt is simply too good for this league. Ok, his attitude may be off, but the manager has to take a bit more of the slack if the player is worth having, and those of us who saw Watt when he joined us surely can see he is worth having. We saw him destroy teams far better than the teams we face every week now on his own. That wasn't so long ago. Even if it does go wrong, if Robinson can get the rest of the season out of him, we are going to be pretty hard to stop.

Now what does the bloke do? Shrug his shoulders and give up! The clue in the interview was the bit about him trying to sign him. He knows what he can do and what he can bring to the team. Sometimes you need the right managers for certain players. I think we might have the right manager for this one. I have mentioned before, but Curbs always had a strict rule on the temperament of players, but when a player was worth it he broke that rule. Not often, but when he could see that it was an opportunity and he had to. I suspect he had to alter his style a bit with DiCanio but it paid off - even if it was only for one season!

True although by all accounts Di Canio was a phenomenal trainer . Can't imagine Tony has the same dedication
  • Options
    The clue is in the blokes name TWatt.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

True although by all accounts Di Canio was a phenomenal trainer . Can't imagine Tony has the same dedication
    The problems may be different, but the point is the same.
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

The problems may be different, but the point is the same.
    Maybe . I suggest if Watt had Di Canio's work ethic, he'd make a good player . He doesn't, so he won't
  • Options
    bring him on today with 20 to go. See if he fancies it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc4life said:

Might as well put me in a red shirt for 20 minutes.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

I started to question when I posted this. Stumbled me for a minute or two..
  • Options

The clue is in the blokes name TWatt.

That's a new one
  • Options
    He won't be anywhere near the squad today. I doubt he is even in London.
  • Options

Interesting that KR basically admits to trying to sign Watt without his parents clubs permission.

Except he hasn't.

I'd imagine the conversation went something like this:
    MKD Chairman (to KR): Have you any target players for the team this transfer window?
    KR: I'd like to bring in Tony Watt.
    MKD Chairman: Don't be ridiculous, he's a total muppet.
    End of conversation, no approach made for player.
  • Options
    Or its the sort of shtick people come out with to build up someone.

I'd love Tony Watt to realise what he is on the verge of throwing away as he was a joy to watch when he decided to turn up. I remain to be convinced which is a shame
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    In my opinion just shows there's no one that he won't try and rub up the wrong way rather than him being someone who was on the fans side the whole time.

Unless all the other clubs that got rid of him within a season are huge Roland fans?
  • Options
    Think he's a waste of space.....
  • Options

Well done Karl

Bleep test with JJ.
    Not sure of you're joking but JJ won the pre season bleep test