Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt returns (a wishful thinking thread)

Comments

• Options
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one but with a very low expectation.

If Karl pulls this off, I will be considering joining the Pro discussion board.
  • Options
    A Tony Watt of 2 seasons ago, can only
    make up for the approaching loss of Lookman.
    Could even make me getting my old season ticket back!
  • Options
    Six pages of comments, that all say almost exactly the same thing.
  • Options
    I have visions now of Watt stuffing down as many deep fried mars bars and cans of iron bru as he can, complaining to his girlfriend he won't be allowed any down south!
  • Options
    You Watt?
  • Options
    There is potential for Charlton hero status awaiting someone like Tony Watt or anyone else. It's easy. Just score the winner on 14th January.
  • Options
    Unlikely to lead to a win.
  • Options
    Watt will come back and run around at the training ground for a couple of days and give the impression he is knuckling down, he'll then piss in a youth team players shoes and shit in someone's breakfast and disappear up his own arse again.

He's had too many chances and as Latrine doesn't seem to have any issue paying off expensive flops, she might as well work her magic here and pay up his contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will he be in the squad tomorrow? Must be worth a place on the bench
  • Options

Will he be in the squad tomorrow? Must be worth a place on the bench

Nowhere near fit enough going by what KR is suggesting he plans to do in training with Watt.
  • Options
    Maybe he can piss in Karl's lager.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

“Tony has to come back an apologise for certain things and then endear himself to the fans and to me and to the club. If you want to play football, come to a club with great young players, great fans and a great desire to improve and be better. "

Apologise for what?

There was a story on TalkSport and was mentioned on here about s Championship player getting caught cheating at cards on the team coach, the kitty at the time was large apparently. It was said that some of the players when to the management and told them that they would refuse to play with him and wanted him out.

I'm not saying the TW was that player, however it was the only thing that made sense to me at the time.
  • Options

Watt will come back and run around at the training ground for a couple of days and give the impression he is knuckling down, he'll then piss in a youth team players shoes and shit in someone's breakfast and disappear up his own arse again.

He's had too many chances and as Latrine doesn't seem to have any issue paying off expensive flops, she might as well work her magic here and pay up his contract.

Well TW knows exactly what he needs to do.

• Options
    Having Tony Watt anywhere near the squad tomorrow would be a mistake in my view. He would only get on my bench if the next best choice was Roland Duchatelet or the Southend Physio.
  • Options
    "Robinson said: "What's going to happen with Tony Watt, and I'll tell you straight - he's going to come here and I'm going to make him sweat and make him cry, and I'm going to see whether he's got the balls to play for me."

That's it Robbo you have the keys to the pies and beer cupboard and you are not going to hand them over unless yout get something in return.

More seriously KR should yet again keep his mouth shut and deal with Tony Watt in private, at least at the beginning, if he wants to achieve a result. This really is Management 101 in any business.
  • Options
    FFS! He hasn't played any competitive football for 2 months! And this is a player who is perennially unfit anyway!

No way he will be anywhere near the squad tomorrow.

And, by the way, in Scotland they have another holiday for New Year on Tuesday, so I expect him to not get back to SL until Wednesday.

And expect him to top up on his drink before he has to get back into training....
  • Options
    sm said:

"Robinson said: "What's going to happen with Tony Watt, and I'll tell you straight - he's going to come here and I'm going to make him sweat and make him cry, and I'm going to see whether he's got the balls to play for me."

That's it Robbo you have the keys to the pies and beer cupboard and you are not going to hand them over unless yout get something in return.

More seriously KR should yet again keep his mouth shut and deal with Tony Watt in private, at least at the beginning, if he wants to achieve a result. This really is Management 101 in any business.

I would imagine every manager has tried a private word with Tony but it obviously doesn't make much difference. KR knows that TW is either an asset or a disruptive influence. Sometimes laying it on the line and demanding a reaction is the best way of dealing with wasters like Watt. By going public Robinson has alerted the football world that TW is either up for it or finished. If Tony doesn't want to play football then fine. Carry on as you are and be washed up at 23. Knuckle down and the gravy train rolls on.

• Options
    It is clear that Robinson has offered Watt a challenge and of course he will also talk to him in private. It is what a good manager should do - if it works great, if it doesn't work, he has tried. Being a manager isn't just about tactics, it is also about having balls.He seems to be tactful too as he should have told Roland to F off when he was being told about his theories at their previous meeting. I am beginning to think he is an asset to this club, and would love to see Roland give him complete trust, tell Driesen to do one and see what Robinson can do with a little backing. It is of course what he should have done with Powell, but surely lessons have been learned since then. I know they haven't, but they should have been.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

sm said:

I would imagine every manager has tried a private word with Tony but it obviously doesn't make much difference. KR knows that TW is either an asset or a disruptive influence. Sometimes laying it on the line and demanding a reaction is the best way of dealing with wasters like Watt. By going public Robinson has alerted the football world that TW is either up for it or finished. If Tony doesn't want to play football then fine. Carry on as you are and be washed up at 23. Knuckle down and the gravy train rolls on.

Can you point to any examples where this technique has worked as a first step? Please note I said in "the beginning".
  • Options
    I should add that the main problem TW has is TW. The trick is to make him realise that. I would want to know the guy a lot better before determining how that is done - and quotes to the whole world beforehand don't really help anyone. Just a guess but I suspect TW feels rather hard done by with the whole world against him.
  • Options
    Doesn't every manager say the same thing though when Watt joins?
  • Options
    Interesting that KR basically admits to trying to sign Watt without his parents clubs permission.
  • Options
    Sounds similar to the words of the Scotland assistant manger used, when Watt was last called up for the international squad.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    sm said:

sm said:

Can you point to any examples where this technique has worked as a first step? Please note I said in "the beginning".
    Putting an arm around Tony's shoulder would have been tried by every manager that's managed him and every time it's failed.

Unless Watt faces the reality that his very football career is now seriously in question he's not going to change.

He's been challenged to step up. Is he man enough ? He needs a kick up the arse. Plenty of time to cuddle him when he's looking for an ordinary job when no football club will bother with him.

• Options

sm said:

sm said:

Putting an arm around Tony's shoulder would have been tried by every manager that's managed him and every time it's failed.

Unless Watt faces the reality that his very football career is now seriously in question he's not going to change.

He's been challenged to step up. Is he man enough ? He needs a kick up the arse. Plenty of time to cuddle him when he's looking for an ordinary job when no football club will bother with him.

I didn't say put an arm around his shoulder - you can often say stronger things in private than you might in public.
  • Options
    Is this possibly another "new era" for Tony Watt?

Let's give him a chance, etc, etc.
  • Options

Tony Watt is set to be put through a gruelling fitness test on his Charlton Athletic return – with boss Karl Robinson revealing he tried to sign the Scottish striker while in charge at Milton Keynes.

The 23-year-old was loaned to Hearts at the start of August and has made 17 appearances, scoring once.

But Watt is returning to South London.

The question is whether he can still have a part to play for Charlton. Previous loans to Cardiff City and Blackburn Rovers contained potential permanent deals.

Robinson said: “He’s going to come in and I’m going to run the legs off him – make him sweat and cry – to see whether he has got the balls to play for me.

“That’s the top and the bottom of it.

“There’s so many questions about Tony Watt – his attitude and desire – but no-one in this football world would ever question his talent. I tried to sign him 12 months ago in this window. I’m not too sure Charlton know that.

“But he has got to come back and apologise for certain things and he has to endear himself to the fans, me and the club. If you want to play football then come to a club that is going places – with great young players, great fans and great desire.

“Come and prove me wrong. Try and come and be the best player in the league.

“We need to bring him back for testing and I’ll see in that testing if he’s got the application to be here.”

This is I think top draw from Robinson. Leaves no doubt in Watts mind where he stands. It's basically a challange to Watts professional pride. If he can't rise to it he might as well chuck it in. It also lays it out for every other manager out there. Watt can't make it back with us then it's going to be very difficult for him to get a gig.

Well done Karl

The gruelling fitness test is probably a race with Southend Physio to the nearest pie and mash shop.