Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt returns (a wishful thinking thread)

Comments

• Options
    Slade seemed to manage him ok at Cardiff, they were going to sign him permanently until a transfer embargo stopped that.
  • Options
    I suppose you have a point, but my view is that when Watt crosses a line, as he will at some point, he would burn bridges with Slade.
  • Options

I suppose you have a point, but my view is that when Watt crosses a line, as he will at some point, he would burn bridges with Slade.

At what point does Watt start taking responsibility for his own career ?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

At what point does Watt start taking responsibility for his own career ?
    Perhaps when someone stops paying him thousands of pounds a week?
  • Options

Like he has in some way at several of the clubs he's played for so far (8 already). I think we may well get some good form from him but I'm not sure he'll ever settle at a club and do it over a longer period.

At the moment he's at least got to be a better option than Ajose and with Holmes injured and Lookman going he'll give us a player that can run at the opposition.

Where does he fit in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1? It's important he's a threat in the right areas and not dropping so deep that he's trying to beat half a team.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    That is for him, but Gascoigne had a decent career even though he was a complete idiot - because managers wanted his talent and managed him. I would say that Gascoigne was so not a Bobby Robson type, but the bloke was a great manager and flexed his criteria to improve the side.

Watt has more talent than the combined ability of two Sheffield Uniteds. We are in a position where you take a punt. He is that punt, surely!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Like he has in some way at several of the clubs he's played for so far (8 already). I think we may well get some good form from him but I'm not sure he'll ever settle at a club and do it over a longer period.

At the moment he's at least got to be a better option than Ajose and with Holmes injured and Lookman going he'll give us a player that can run at the opposition.

Where does he fit in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1? It's important he's a threat in the right areas and not dropping so deep that he's trying to beat half a team.
    In a 4-2-3-1 he's either sub or he plays behind Magennis in the middle of the 3.
  • Options
    Isn't Aribo using his favourite number?
    I smell trouble...
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

I smell trouble...

After yesterday, they'll make Watt have a different number...

No way he should be able to bully Joe to changing number.
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

I smell trouble...

After yesterday, they'll make Watt have a different number...

No way he should be able to bully Joe to changing number.
    Dont think you can mid-season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017

my initial reaction is &**%^% him off the useless arrogant poseur .. on reflection though, he IS a talent and hopefully Robinson can get on his wavelength and get him playing .. t b h I thought that he'd never darken the Valley steps ever again .. if not glad to see him back, give the beggar one more chance (Prodigal Son & all that)

having typed this in a very optimistic mood after the win draw (getting carried away there for a min), I looked at Watt's recent record .. at Hearts, 16 games 1 goal .. Cardiff and Blackburn, 9 games and 1 goal for each .. If these figures were published about (e.g.) Ajose, there would be a demand for him to be dropped, sold and ridiculed.
    I am beginning to think that no manager is ever going to get Watt back in form and more importantly, get him interested. He's had a good couple of well paid years as a CAFC 'staff member', when does his contract expire ?
    Anyway if he is still on the payroll, it behoves our player management team to try once more to get him motivated and playing .. There IS a big talent in him, finding the key to unlock it is the issue
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I can only go on the evidence I've seen which suggests that TWatt is:

A) a very talented player who, when on form and motivated, would get me to part with 20 quid and get my backside back down the valley,

B) a young man with issues that have recurred time and again to the point where if not in the last chance saloon, he's banging his way through the swivel doors muttering "geis a pint pal";

C) by any stretch of even the most basic of imaginations, and even when in complete head up own arse mode, an improvement on the utter waste of space that is Nicky Ajose.

His future career after the next six months is of no concern. Fact is, we have him contracted for the next six months and whatever happens next is as much up to him as anyone else. I suspect it's the footballing scrap heap. But for now we have absolutely nothing to lose in giving him a shot. It will be a soap opera one way or the other and may nudge us out of the utter turpitude that we currently have to watch (on the very rare occasions that I bother any more).
  • Options
    "But he has got to come back and apologise for certain things"

Did we ever definitively get to the bottom of what he actually did to get booted out on loan?
  • Options
    “Tony has to come back an apologise for certain things and then endear himself to the fans and to me and to the club. If you want to play football, come to a club with great young players, great fans and a great desire to improve and be better. "

Apologise for what?
  • Options
    Forgetting us in this - it is a great opportunity for Watt to get back on track career wise. He needs to trust Robinson and dedicate the next few months to this. We will benefit is he does this too.
  • Options
    Some were creaming the drawers when ajose signed, that's this mob all over though let's not bother scouting just sign a high gs and that should keep the customers happy, I like watt if playing well best player in our team.
  • Options
    Excellent comments from Robinson on Watt.
  • Options

“Tony has to come back an apologise for certain things and then endear himself to the fans and to me and to the club. If you want to play football, come to a club with great young players, great fans and a great desire to improve and be better. "

Apologise for what?

Supposedly turning up for training drunk?

Twatting a youth team player?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Robinson's comments are spot on. He hasn't slammed a door in Tony Watt's face, but defined his terms as it were.

I don't have a clue what any apology is for. If it was verbals then that can be resolved, if it was anything else it would be trickier, and no doubt from the point of view of Tony Watt there will be two sides to every story.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    "I tried to sign him 12 months ago in this window. I’m not too sure Charlton know that"

I'm fairly sure they might have known Karl. Anyway. If it was this window it can't have been 12 months ago!!

Fair play to KR though. Reckon he could get the best out of Watt.
  • Options

I can only go on the evidence I've seen which suggests that TWatt is:

A) a very talented player who, when on form and motivated, would get me to part with 20 quid and get my backside back down the valley,

B) a young man with issues that have recurred time and again to the point where if not in the last chance saloon, he's banging his way through the swivel doors muttering "geis a pint pal";

C) by any stretch of even the most basic of imaginations, and even when in complete head up own arse mode, an improvement on the utter waste of space that is Nicky Ajose.

His future career after the next six months is of no concern. Fact is, we have him contracted for the next six months and whatever happens next is as much up to him as anyone else. I suspect it's the footballing scrap heap. But for now we have absolutely nothing to lose in giving him a shot. It will be a soap opera one way or the other and may nudge us out of the utter turpitude that we currently have to watch (on the very rare occasions that I bother any more).

@cabbles, see, it isn't just me.

A)
    B )
    C)

It's easy as

1)
    2)
    3)
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    He says that Charlton cant be aware that he tried to sign Watt last season...? - Surely we must know as an offer must have been made by MK?
  • Options
    A leopard can't change its spots. He will realize what talent he had when it is too late and he has passed his prime.
  • Options
    The worse possible news yet for robbo. I'm expecting a couple of sub appearances then out on loan again.
  • Options
    I must admit though. The entry fee into the Valley does seem a bit more justified when Watt is on the teamsheet.

The guy is inconsistent but you never know when he's going to show up for a game and be every bit Premier League class.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Slade seemed to manage him ok at Cardiff, they were going to sign him permanently until a transfer embargo stopped that.

And the fact that he was shipped out on loan at the start of this season showed the lack of power Slade had with our board. He knew what a difference he could have made to our team (on his day) and played him in friendlies yet he was shipped off at the first opportunity.

Reckon this discussion is over now anyway because, after reading Robinsons words today, I can't see Watt pulling on a Charlton shirt again.
  • Options
    A fit, up-for-it Watt with the right attitude could turn a promising team into one that would be feared by most teams in this division, sadly I can't see it. As others have said, a real attitude problem - probably with life in general, not just football. Obviously resigned to Lookman going but with what young Joe Aribo showed at Southend we may have a ready made replacement - well at least until the end of the season when he is also sold to line Douchebags pockets.
  • Options