Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Watt returns (a wishful thinking thread)

Comments

• If he had not scored that goal against Barca, we would never heard of him again.

Plenty of players with 'talent' don't make it because of a lack of application. He has lived off that one goal his whole career.

You don't have as many clubs as he has at his age with their being something fundamentally wrong in his makeup.
  • Hope springs eternal
  • I think it's one of two scenarios:

(1) Either we cancel his contract, or
    (2) He comes back into the side and sees out his contract until at least June 2017

I can't see why any UK club would take a punt on him.......his record is now very average on the pitch and his reputation precedes him. I guess there is the option of a further loan, or even a move - possibly abroad - but the views held about him everywhere he has played must be pretty common by now.

If by some chance he is back in the side January-May he'd score about 7-8 goals (about the same number that Lookman would) and create openings for others.

We could do worse, and he is at least familiar with several regulars in the first team.
  • edited December 2016
    I've got low expectations from this one but given our position we haven't got anything to lose.
  • We aren't blessed in the central forward positions and if we're going to be paying his wages anyway then I'd give him a run - he's got 17 appearances under his belt this season at a similar level so should be match fit.
  • Get him straight in that team.

Agreed. Can't be any worse than Ajose.
  • my initial reaction is &**%^% him off the useless arrogant poseur .. on reflection though, he IS a talent and hopefully Robinson can get on his wavelength and get him playing .. t b h I thought that he'd never darken the Valley steps ever again .. if not glad to see him back, give the beggar one more chance (Prodigal Son & all that)
  • Nile Ranger has managed to bag a few this year and I don't think Watt even close to rivals him for attitude problems. If Tony really gets his head down for a few months he could be lethal.
  • Sponsored links:

• My gran, god rest her soul, is more of a challenge on the pitch to the opposition than Ajose appears at times.
  • From what Ive seen Watt is ten times the player Ajose is........but to be fair that's not saying much.

Southend's physio would offer more of a threat than Ajose.
  • Come on Tony, give it what you got down south, get a day out a Wembley in the play-offs, and then see how the cards stack up thereafter, nothing to lose
    Wasnt gonna buy for Brisol Rovers game, but I think I will now....
  • He'll probably end up in China earning 200 grand a week.
  • se9addick said:

We aren't blessed in the central forward positions and if we're going to be paying his wages anyway then I'd give him a run - he's got 17 appearances under his belt this season at a similar level so should be match fit.

Thought that he hadn't started a match for two months.
  • If he had not scored that goal against Barca, we would never heard of him again.

Plenty of players with 'talent' don't make it because of a lack of application. He has lived off that one goal his whole career.

You don't have as many clubs as he has at his age with their being something fundamentally wrong in his makeup.

Would also suggest getting embroiled in the 'network' hasn't helped a bloke like Watt.
  • Happy New year Seth
  • Not too certain about this if he indeed does return to play I really hope he does do well for our sake alas his last season for us did not give me much hope of this 37 apps 7 goals yeah looked good running around a few players with not much end result even prob our most derided player this season excluding Fox, Ajose has 17 apps 6 goals and their career stats are about as consistent as this, let's hope I am proved wrong but I doubt it will be the second coming some are hopeful of
  • Sponsored links:

• Bring him on as an impact sub with big Josh. Might work. Worth a go.
  • seth plum said:

Shave his head, send him on a retreat to a remote Buddist monastery miles from booze and electricity, and let him back when he loses weight, gains muscle, is detoxed, and has seen the light. Then see what he is like in training, and if he shuts up and gets on with it, put him on the bench.
    If after that he plays and we win, pick him. As soon as we lose or draw he has to take his chances about being picked like the rest of them.
    Find him something to do outside the football that doesn't abuse his body or lead to excessive eating or drinking. He looks to me like he gets bored and lonely living out of a posh yet bleak apartment in Woolwich or wherever.
    I don't think indulging him cuts it any more however talented he is.

Love the imagery. I vote Seth gets to take Watt under his wing.
  • A rabona from Watt against Millwall from 20 yards after having beaten 2 players would be good :wink:

You know you want to Tony.
  • I think he is a waste of space. He is not a centre forward, a number 10 or a winger.

What may save his career is that Robbo likes a 4-3-3.

Maybe Robbo sees a value that I don't, which is why he wanted him at MKD. I hope he is right as there is nothing quite as appealing as a lad who has had it hard making it. I wish him luck and good fortune.

Oh.

And please score a hat trick against Millwall.
  • If it's the Tony Watt that ripped Huddersfield apart at the Valley that turns up he would rip this league up! We can dream can't we!
  • Valley11 said:

If he had not scored that goal against Barca, we would never heard of him again.

Would also suggest getting embroiled in the 'network' hasn't helped a bloke like Watt.
    I doubt he is even aware of the concept.

• Valley11 said:

If he had not scored that goal against Barca, we would never heard of him again.

I doubt he is even aware of the concept.

As in being moved about from club to club. Yes, partly because he's guff. But he's still a young bloke and may have done better had he not been bumped from club to club.
  • edited January 2017
    The sort of player I think a manager like Slade couldn't handle in a million years. But I have a feeling Robinson can. I think the boss has balls - I hope I am right. If Watt had the right attitude he would be playing in the Premiership, so I rejoice that he hasn't and that we might just have a manager who can manage him.
  • The sort of player I think a manager like Slade couldn't handle in a million years. But I have a feeling Robinson can. I think the boss has balls - I hope I am right. If Watt had the right attitude he would be playing in the Premiership, so I rejoice that he hasn't and that we might just have a manager who can manage him.

Slade handled him at Cardiff .i'm sure Robinson will give him some inane platitudes ; personally I'd try to sell and raise some more cash